PDA

View Full Version : In the hands of US government

Kaa
08-14-2008, 10:22 AM
A Hong Kong computer programmer who had legally resided in the US for 15 years (since he was 17) and fathered two American children went for his final green card interview and was locked up, detained until he died of cancer that the DHS refused to treat him for. He had overstayed a visa (the DHS sent a key notice to the wrong address), and this prompted the DHS to lock him away and demand that he waive all right to immigration appeal and be immediately deported. In detention, his complaints of excruciating back pain were treated as fakery, and he was dragged around in shackles after he lost the ability to walk, taken on long, bumpy drives while official demanded that he drop his immigration appeals. The jailers who caused his death were private contractors with fat deals with the DHS to lock up immigration detainees.

As he lay dying, his family -- wife and two children, aged 1 and 3 -- were denied access to him while the warden considered their request to visit. (http://www.boingboing.net/2008/08/13/man-whose-us-immigra.html)

More details at New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/nyregion/13detain.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Kaa

Keith Wilson
08-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Jesus T. Christ. This is the sort of crap that makes me sympathize with Mark's calls for violent revolution, or at least to favor executing whoever was responsible, preferably by slow and unpleasant methods. :mad:

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-14-2008, 10:40 AM
And the US presumes to criticise China?

:mad::mad::mad:

Keith Wilson
08-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Doesn't any of this rise to the level of criminal neglect?It sure as hell ought to.

Canoeyawl
08-14-2008, 10:57 AM
"not every wrong, or even every violation of the law, is a crime"

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Yes, it is criminal, but would I be right in assuming that criminal prosecutions in the USA are brought by the US Government?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes - literally so, in these cases

Tylerdurden
08-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks, good thread.

And Keith, I have seen this with my own eyes so maybe you can understand where I am coming from some. People just don't understand the level of complete cruelty in the name of the flag that happens everyday.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I suppose that some US citizens have never had to deal with US immigration officials.

Just in my own small world, two examples, not of cruelty, but of gratuitous stupidity in the enforcement of rules, stand out.

One British friend of mine, a ship's master, knew that he was due to finish a tour of duty at Houston, Texas, so he arranged for his Korean wife to travel to the States and meet him at Houston so they could spend a holiday touring the States; she rented a camper van for the purpose.

When Bob finished his handover and stepped down the gangway he stated his destination and was promptly arrested - in sight of his wife - and detained for 36 hours. His crime was to be a seaman not proceeding immediately to the airport in the company of his Agent to take an immediate flight home.

He had a valid multiple entry US visa - this was back in the days when there were such things.

Another British friend, Mark, had lived in the States for many years - he is a consultant running his own business in the cruise shipping field - and is married to a US citizen with two daughters.

He forgot to renew his green card and was deported to the UK and made to wait 11 months whilst his new application was processed - fortunately for him Al Gore had just invented the Internet. so his business survived - just.