PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Lumber

Greg Stoll
08-22-2004, 11:27 PM
There is a building torn down in town, and they're giving away the wood to anyone who wants it. I was able to pick up about 60 bf of rough cut old-growth douglas fir, roughly 8/4 x 6-8", 6-10 feet long. I tried to pick out the best stuff, the straightest grain with the most knot-free parts. Is this wood ok to use with all the nail holes and stuff in it? Any special precautions I should use with this wood? Any thoughts on how to tell if I got all the nails out before I run it through a planer and table saw?

[ 08-23-2004, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Greg Stoll ]

cs
08-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Metal detector.

Chad

Jim Budde
08-23-2004, 04:10 PM
I've used a lot of salvaged wood over the years .. in fact Norm helped me get a pile of 20 - 22 ft douglas fir similar to yours recently and it will soon be framimg material for my next boat. Just figure you are going to hit a nail or two. Wear protective gear!

Stiletto
08-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Use other than your best blades for the first pass thruogh the planer and saw. You will hear them first, and then be able to see any nails after the first cut.

Good luck!

Greg Stoll
08-23-2004, 04:25 PM
So lets say that I'm using a planer and table saw at someone else's shop. Would I be ahead to plan it all by hand first, just to get down to new wood?

Greg

capt jake
08-23-2004, 06:48 PM
So lets say that I'm using a planer and table saw at someone else's shop. Would I be ahead to plan it all by hand first, just to get down to new wood?
When you have power tools available???? I would plan on buying the fellow a blade and some knives in the worst case scenario; but use the power tools. smile.gif smile.gif Arr Arr!! ;) ;)

hikingchrs
08-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Best way to find if wood has no metel in it is
to buy a plane ticket and bring it as carry on
and ask the x-ray operator if it has any metal
(said with a straight face) smile.gif
chris