PDA

View Full Version : Electronic ignition for a Chrysler Crown

JPhoenix
08-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Just installed a Crane XR 700 electronic ignition on the Chrysler Crown M7 in my old Monk design cruiser. The old distributor's cam lobes were pretty worn, so idle was a bit iffy, but now it's smooth as silk.

Here's a link to the how-to page:

http://www.jimphoenix.com/jimphoenix2/pages/Monk/Working/Engine.htm

C. Ross
08-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Nice work.

Thanks for the TERRIFIC tutorial...the same project is on tap for my Chrysler 318s this autumn. I really like the reuse of the original distributor housing.

Captain Blight
08-11-2008, 12:13 AM
JEBUS PEOPLE IT'S THE 21ST CENTURY!!!

WHy in the ham sandwich is anybody still using points? Or carburateurs? Or pushrods?

EVOLVE!!

carioca1232001
08-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Just installed a Crane XR 700 electronic ignition on the Chrysler Crown M7 in my old Monk design cruiser. The old distributor's cam lobes were pretty worn, so idle was a bit iffy, but now it's smooth as silk.

Here's a link to the how-to page:

http://www.jimphoenix.com/jimphoenix2/pages/Monk/Working/Engine.htm

What a timely contribution as I am about to do the same for my 1962 Willys CJ-6. Points and condensers are an absolute pain !

Problem is mine is a 6 cylinder F-head 161 engine, manufactured primarily in Brazil, whereas Pertronix in the US has plug-and-play kits for the older 4 cylinder L-134 and F-134 Willys engines only. I am awaiting their reply as to whether they can oblige, if I send them the required data (digital close ups and measurements).

PaulT
08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
carioca1232001...please check your pm's

PaulT

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-11-2008, 05:55 PM
I bet that old Crown works well...:D I still have points in my 283F Chris Craft engines, but keep in mind I am in fresh water... corrosion is not as much of an issue

carioca1232001
08-11-2008, 06:28 PM
I bet that old Crown works well...:D I still have points in my 283F Chris Craft engines, but keep in mind I am in fresh water... corrosion is not as much of an issue

In salt water and even if you had the contacts platinum-plated, they would still be a terrible pain.......:rolleyes:

Mechanical parts being cyclically pushed apart and making contact in sequence, plus the attendant electrical thrashing arising out of the interruption of a 5-10 Amp current through an inductor.............hopeless situation.

Change to 'contact-less' at the first opportunity.

Gary E
08-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Ok, so the new stuff is better... but, the old stuff ran and ran and ran well...
My boat had 2 Crowns in it from 1959 to 1977 and the never missed a beat running 40 miles of shore. I only replaced them because I wanted to go faster. And what did saltwater have to do with anything?.. I ran in the Atlantic and the engines were clean and dry at all times.

The old engines were sold in a NewYork second to a fellow that had a pair in his boat and he wanted to rebuild but didnt want to hurry or give up his on the water time, so he now had 4 alike and could take his time.

Good luck with the new system, it looks like a good install and should last a long time.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Original Power makes the boat more original.
For whatever that's worth.
Keepin those old small block 8's running well is soon to be a lost art.
If I was to build a boat, I'd build it around a Ford 302 8cyl.
With Electronic Ignition of course. http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

JPhoenix
08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Being a natural skeptic, I didn't cut the breaker contact post off all the way, I kept the points and condenser and they're in a little box in the boat's toolbox just in case that fancy new electronic system decides to die in the middle of the Sound.

I don't have blind faith in electronics just yet, the Crane system made a noticeable difference in idle (haven't pulled power yet) and I suspect it will be wonderful under power, but the points are in the box to get me home if need be.

Maybe what I need is a twin cat powered Monk like Lew has ;-)

The Crown is indeed a beast of an engine, runs like a top and with the keel cooler and hot water cabin heat, the engine coolant temp is fully controllable. The old carburetor may be 1930's technology, but it has an adjustable power jet and economizer that makes it run very nice when set at power. I like this engine.

Jim

JPhoenix
08-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Also, I called Pertronix and Mallory and Crane and they all said go away, we don't have a unit for your Chrysler marine whatever thingy. I just kept thinking about it and looked at the distributor and figured the XR700 designed for "domestic 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines" would have to fit in that big old distributor - and it did without much difficulty. The part number is 700-0231 "XR700 Ignition Module".

Rick Tyler
08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Maybe what I need is a twin cat powered Monk like Lew has

Rita is s - m - o - o - t - h. I <heart> Lew's diesels.

carioca1232001
08-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Also, I called Pertronix and Mallory and Crane and they all said go away, we don't have a unit for your Chrysler marine whatever thingy. I just kept thinking about it and looked at the distributor and figured the XR700 designed for "domestic 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines" would have to fit in that big old distributor - and it did without much difficulty. The part number is 700-0231 "XR700 Ignition Module".

I appreciate the tip, Crane part nº 700-231.

You are right in that the above is is a universal device for pre-1975 engines and as such is supplied with three slotted wheels for letting LED-light through to a stationary receiver, depending on application (4, 6 or 8 cylinders).

The only point not in its favour is that it is dependent on the functioning of this luminous emitter.

Pertronix´s has rotating magnets (as emitters) that last forever and a Hall-effect receiver. Mallory is similar. But they don´t market universal type kits.....

JPhoenix
08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
<<is supplied with three slotted wheels>>

My kit came with six wheels, two different styles for each cylinder arrangement, so you have a choice of two wheels for your engine, whether it's a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder.

Jim

carioca1232001
08-13-2008, 08:16 PM
I think I am going to order one !

I suppose they took a good look at major distributor manufacturers on pre-1975´s as well as the cam dimensions , culminating in a pair of alternative wheels for each of 4, 6 and 8 cylinders.

carioca1232001
08-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Being a natural skeptic, I didn't cut the breaker contact post off all the way, I kept the points and condenser and they're in a little box in the boat's toolbox just in case that fancy new electronic system decides to die in the middle of the Sound.

I don't have blind faith in electronics just yet, the Crane system made a noticeable difference in idle (haven't pulled power yet) and I suspect it will be wonderful under power, but the points are in the box to get me home if need be......

Jim

BUMP !

I broadcasted the find - the universal 4,6 8 cylinder electronic conversion kit - on a Brazilian 4 x 4 Forum, witholding manufacturer´s identity.

To my total surprise, an automotive electronics expert - and 4 x 4 forumite - identified the find as an 'optical sensor type' product ( he witheld manufacturer´s identity, too!)

What he said was that LUCAS (of the UK) was the first to introduce this technology in Formula 1 racing cars in the late 60´s, but was to withdraw it from service due to reliability concerns.

Apparently, oil mist and humidity (condensing sort), that abound in engine bays, play havoc with the optics and foul the timing beyond redemption.

So keeping your points and condenser as back-up would be prudent practice !

pila
08-17-2008, 03:40 PM
My old boat has a 327 Chevy in it, and had a Mallory distributor. I kept it running for a long time, but it ate the flat (crab) distributor caps on a regular basis. I finally modified an HEI Chevy distributor for it. I made a tab to hold the vacuum advance arm from moving, removed the vacuum canister, and sealed the vacuum canister opening in the distributor housing for flame proofing. That was in in 1996. It runs excellent, and the parts, if needed, are available at any auto parts store.