PDA

View Full Version : Colt knock-off question

Phillip Allen
08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I've a brand new colt knock-off chambered for .45 colt...the thing shoots a bit low but more importantly, it shoots a bit to the left. I'm thinking of dovetailing the top strap for a correction (maybe the standard Colt 1911 rear sight) but wonder if it will weaken the frame too much...I shoot handloads and never need the hot loads others think so important.

Smalser?

paladin
08-10-2008, 07:23 PM
I assume that you mean .45 Colt auto....as opposed to .45 long Colt...
All Colts shoot low, they were designed to point, not aim, you practice constantly with the same weapon and learn where it shoots in your hand, then when you shoot it is done by pure instinct....

Phillip Allen
08-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I have a peacemaker and considering a 1911 rear sight...I don't care much what it looks like but I want it to shoot where I look...I suspect that filing the front sight down was the expected "adjustment" the owner would make. shooting low doesn't bother me at all but shooting to one side does...(I practice at 75 yards typically)

Paul Pless
08-10-2008, 07:50 PM
75 yards?! Hows it shoot at 20?:rolleyes:

Phillip Allen
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
better

Paul Pless
08-10-2008, 07:52 PM
rofl:D

paladin
08-10-2008, 07:57 PM
That would be .45 long Colt. I gave my dad a matching Peacemaker and Winchester rifle chambered in .45 long Colt......Mine is in .44 special, and it has shot low since the day I got it, but I didn't want to tamper with the sight. The weapon was made in 1914, the first year where they were marked for smokeless powder......it also shoots a hair to the left. We clamped it in a test jig and fired a couple dozen rounds through it, nice pattern at 50 yards, but about 4 inches low and a couple inches left....I didn't check it at 75 yards or more. I just practiced with it until I automatically compensated for the sights being off...I knew if I looked at a target and wanted to hit a man in the heart at that range, I aimed for his elbow....same with the Browning...before using it after having it put away for a while, I run a couple of magazines of ammo through it to get the feel back........or if I don't care, I load up the .69 caliber horse pistol and take it shooting, the damn thing is like lightning, never hits twice in the same place......and if'n ya just wanna terrorize someone, bring over 10-15 pounds of powder and a half dozen empty beer cans and a little fast setting cement and we can warm up the barrel on granddad's cannon....think I'm gonna give that to St. Gregories Museum in Shawnee, Oklahoma....

botebum
08-10-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm following Chuck here. It's not a target grade weapon. If you're looking for that kind of accuracy, why are you messing with a hole buster?

Doug

Phillip Allen
08-10-2008, 08:54 PM
'cause I wanna

botebum
08-10-2008, 08:58 PM
'cause I wannaI can understand that but only a certain extent of accuracy can be expected. I also understand that my comments do not in any way address your initial question. I'll admit complete ignorance on whether it could or should be done without affecting the integrety of the frame, barrel, etc.

Doug

Phillip Allen
08-10-2008, 09:00 PM
It'll be okay if I can keep em in a pie plate at 75 yds but I'll try to do better...it's the nature of being a hand loader

cathouse willy
08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Phillip, how long is the barrel? 75 yards is a long shot for saa colt or copy. The group I shoot cowboy action with is awash with colt clones with the odd genuine colt here and there. 45 lc is a black powder round that has made the switch to smokeless powder and was never made to shoot at that distance.For a great shoot load it with holy black and a 250 gr bullet. shoot it at 40 feet. Yee Haw!!

Phillip Allen
08-10-2008, 09:16 PM
nope...if I can hit at long distance, anything inside that is easy...

paladin
08-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I played in the walk and draws for a few years, and the riverboat gambling fights etc.....I have a Bisley in .38 special. My favorite trick was when the fight started, push my chair over backwards while drawing the weapon and shooting the opponents "Privates" off...then they changed the rules a wee bit and said it had to be a true "kill" so I started putting it between their eyes and the last round thru the lower part of the anatomy.....The fastest dude in town was supposed to be the Marshall. he could never beat me......sometimes I coud get off three rounds before he cleared leather, but after a couple of years he improved, I still beat him every time....course...we ain't done it for 6 years now..

Captain Blight
08-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Correct for the grouping to the left by using a brass drift to move the front sight to the left. Filing the top of the sight down will help get the grouping centered, or you can leave it alone and file the rear sight notch a little deeper. Support the pistol on a sandbag or a bag of shot while you're doing this, don't clamp it in a vise.

Phillip Allen
08-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I used to do light smithing for a local shop...never cut a dove tail in the top strap of such a revolver though (I've cut lots of dovetails though)

paladin
08-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Yup, Jeff...perhaps in Phillip's case, but when ya got an original Colt ya dunno wanna start modifying it....it makes a few hundred dollar gun outta a few thousand dollar gun....

Phillip Allen
08-11-2008, 11:32 AM
not original ...knock-off

cathouse willy
08-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Cleaning my revolvers after yesterdays shoot I looked at the backstrap thickness on my Ruger Vaqueros.I wouldn't want to lose any of that material to a dovetail.The Colts and their clones are much ligher built than the Rugers. Some of the fixes mentioned here already are much more forgiving things to try first. How much correction does it need? What load and bullet are you using and any idea of the muzzle velo? I handload all of my ammo, interesting to note the Hornady manuals list 3 sets of data for the 45 lc.One for the Colts and clones, a second for Ruger blackhawks and a third for the TC Contender single shot.

crawdaddyjim50
08-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Phillip, it is generally done by doing as CW said. Or if you are of a mind they have been tweaked by putting in a barrel vise and using a wrench to bend it back to the right. By doing it that way you don't have to redo the front site blade. Doesn't take much but don't dovetail the backstrap. Not enough material there.

If you do the bend. Remember to keep the cylinder in the frame as it makes it more rigid and the bend happens at the barrel/frame junction and not farther back in the frame.

Jim

Phillip Allen
08-11-2008, 07:30 PM
I won't bend it. I may drill and tap a kind of sight or even epoxy one on but won't bend...

it looks more and more like I"ll just invent something...in any case I will shoot it a lot more before altering it

paladin
08-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Wise move, Phillip....that's a weak spot with original Colts, and many clones.....now if'n ya wanna see how accurate the .45 long colt gets....use a 260 gr. bullet, half jacket, a .44 magnum case and 19.5 gr. IMR 4227.......load that into a TC contender...I'll loan ya one......damn good for knocking iron targets at 100-150 yards.

Phillip Allen
08-11-2008, 08:41 PM
I've become pretty casual about my firearms...I handload of course but I also cast my own bullets...I ain't trying to kill anything so if it'll make a hole in the paper, it's good enough....45 Colt (not the ACP round) with 250 grain bullet, home made lube, 7.5 grains of Unique, Winchester case and Federal primer (standard)...I haven't fired it over my chrony yet...I'll let ya know when I do

cathouse willy
08-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Phillip that load ain't no weenie load.My loads are much lighter 5.4 gr of tight group behind a 200gr rnfp cast bullet around 850 fps thru a 5.5 in barrel. I also cast my own lead. Another option (if you have money to spend) is to put the clone out to black powder pasture and find a blackhawk with fully adj .rear sight with a 7.5 in barrel.

cathouse willy
08-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Phillip that load ain't no weenie load.My loads are much lighter 5.4 gr of tight group behind a 200gr rnfp cast bullet. I also cast my own lead. another option (if you have money to spend) is to put the clone out to black powder pasture and find a blackhawk with fully adj rear sight
OOPS one too many

Captain Blight
08-11-2008, 09:48 PM
OOPS one too many
I'm gonna go get the papers, the papers

Phillip Allen
08-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Phillip that load ain't no weenie load.My loads are much lighter 5.4 gr of tight group behind a 200gr rnfp cast bullet. I also cast my own lead. another option (if you have money to spend) is to put the clone out to black powder pasture and find a blackhawk with fully adj rear sight
OOPS one too many

actually I ain't sure about the load...maybe 7.0 grains but it doesn't matter as I always check my data again before starting a session...the cases fall out with gravity alone so I'm not pushing things any. I started out much lower but had the bullets bouncing off a piece of well cured oak...one bounced into me and I try to avoid shooting myself whenever I can