PDA

View Full Version : As a lifelong baseball fan.....

bamamick
08-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I have to tell you that I am rooting hard for the Twins and the Rays this summer. What they are doing is almost unbelieveable, if it wasn't for the fact that the Twins actually do it all the time.

There are so many awful things going on right now in the world that I think that I am going to take James Earl Jones' advice and go watch a ball game. See ya.

Mickey Lake

Captain Blight
08-10-2008, 05:31 PM
My shoreside job is Cheffing for a caterer in the 'Dome. I'm getting to see a lot of Twins games for free, from the season-ticket-holder's Terrace boxes, these days!

Paul Pless
08-10-2008, 05:57 PM
As a lifelong baseball fan.....

I have to tell you that I

As a lifelong Cleveland Indian fan.... I have to tell you that I can't wait for football season.:(:D

C. Ross
08-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Mickey, you are a man of taste, insight and refinement.

April always begins with "baseball dinner" at our house. We watch the home opener on TV with hot dogs and brats (relish and sauerkraut optional), crackerjack, and the little cups of malted chocolate ice cream with the wooden spoons. Peanuts if you like 'em.

The soundtrack for projects around the house or on the boat is the Twins radio broadcast. The late great Herb Carneal was the play-by-play guy for 40 years. With his slight southern accent and calm voice like the tenth coat of varnish on perfect mahogany, he was the quintessential baseball broadcaster. He's in the Hall of Fame. You could look it up.

This is the ninth consecutive winning season for the Twins since the mid-90s lost years. With Liriano back, it's looking good....

Better luck next year Paul.

C. Ross
09-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Oh my oh my.
Twins back in first place with three games to play, Rays are in the playoffs....

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/index

Mickey Lake calls it.

bamamick
09-26-2008, 01:44 AM
The Rays need one more win or one more Saux loss to take the division, which looks far more impressive on a banner than does 'wild card winner' or whatever one puts on such a banner.

I am really rooting for the Twinkies. for some reason I have never liked the White Sox. Maybe it was that whole scandal thing that happened when I was young :)?

Of course, my Braves are gearing up for their golf holidays, but there's always next year, and that's the glory of baseball. If the Rays can do it, everyone can do it (just like the Rockies did it last year). It's a beautiful game.

Mickey Lake

JBreeze
09-26-2008, 02:42 AM
Great thread and a great baseball season!

So many possibilities with one weekend to go....my Red Sox are in, but I wonder if they have the right stuff to go all the way? The overpaid Yankees are out, and the Mets are going right to the wire, fighting Philly for 1st, and tied with Milwaukee for the wild card. Wouldn't mind another Mets collapse, like last year:D.

Tampa is certainly exciting and has been all year....and I'm glad to see the local kid, Rocco Baldelli is back with the team. Will it be a west coast world series between the Angels and Dodgers? Manny could really rub it in the face of the Red Sox brass, while Joe Torre could stick it to the Yankees.

How about a Chicago series between the Cubs and White Sox? The Cubs are due! Milwaukee-Minnesota? Another possibility....this has to be one of the better seasons in a long time.:)

cs
09-26-2008, 07:52 AM
I have this serious sports addiction and I love watching baseball. Thing about it is, I always feel like I have to watch every game once I start watching baseball, and baseball season is awful long. It seems like I spent the 90's doing nothing but watch the Braves play, but back than we had a pretty deceant pitching staff.

Chad