PDA

View Full Version : I like bagpipes; this guy doesn't!

clancy
08-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Man upset with bagpipe music launches golf ball attack in Readington

READINGTON, NJ The expression "teed off" took on a different meaning after a golfer at the Stanton Ridge Country Club began hitting golf balls at other players.

According to police, Michael Bockmiller, 57, of Whitehouse Station was upset because a bagpiper was playing music on the 17th green during a golf outing earlier this week. He then began yelling at golfers and hitting balls at them from his backyard, police said.

Bockmiller was arrested and charged with simple assault and disorderly conduct.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Now who dosen't like the pipe's?
The guy is a nut.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-09-2008, 12:57 AM
"I'll tell you a story, believe me it's true.
A tale you'd best hope never happens to you.
Old Spicy McHaggis,how he met his fate.
You I can save, but for him it's too late."

DKM~

Yeadon
08-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Many years ago I went to a nice Catholic wedding in a big echo-ey church. The only music was delivered via bagpipe. Very stunning.

Ole Bockmiller needs a bit of perspective.

Thom T
08-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Had a carpool once, one of the men was hard of hearing . He played the "Battle of the Bagpipes Bands" every time it was his turn to drive,full volume. We all ended up with hearing problems. The problem with bagpipes for me is the association with dead police officers.

bamamick
08-09-2008, 10:31 AM
At my daughter's graduation from college last weekend a piper led them in and out of the auditorium. I thought that it was very nice.

Mickey Lake

SamSam
08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
After a certain amount of time they can become extremely annoying. Something like the "brown sound" on South Park.

Vince Brennan
09-24-2011, 09:40 PM
The definition of "A Scots Gentleman" is one who can play the bagpipes, and does not.

Scott Rosen
09-24-2011, 09:47 PM
The definition of "A Scots Gentleman" is one who can play the bagpipes, and does not.I thought a Scots Gentleman is one who can shoot the piper but doesn't.

Bob Adams
09-24-2011, 10:01 PM
I just knew this would happen. There is no solution other than to tightly regulate golf clubs and put tracers on the balls.|;)

skuthorp
09-25-2011, 03:04 AM
Golf clubs, you could kill someone with them, ban 'em. Balls, dangerous things someone might stand on one and fall, ban 'em. Bagpipes? You can hear 'em coming for miles, they're OK.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Oh I like that! - Tracer ammo for golfers - Great balls of fire?

Soundbounder
09-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Ever since the multitude of funerals in my hometown following September 11, I associate bagpipes with only one thing.

Phillip Allen
09-25-2011, 06:50 AM
Man upset with bagpipe music launches golf ball attack in Readington
like some here, it's his way or the hiway... "kick em off the forum to please me!"

S.V. Airlie
09-25-2011, 08:06 AM
My bagpipes were stolen at college. I think it was intentional...

Phillip Allen
09-25-2011, 08:10 AM
I've always liked the pipes... not sure if I could concentrate on a chess game with them playing very near me though

David W Pratt
09-25-2011, 09:49 AM
We used to live near SUNY Purchase which had a specialization in Performing Arts, for a few years on Spring afternoons you could hear a piper practicing. The distance made them quite pleasant.

S.V. Airlie
09-25-2011, 10:47 AM
True David..Bagpipes are a bit loud, but I loved playing them on a foggy morning. Often dampened the sound..Well, muted it anyway. Always sounded eerie in the fog or more like it forelorn..

Bobcat
09-26-2011, 02:17 PM
The definition of "A Scots Gentleman" is one who can play the bagpipes, and does not.

Beat me to it....

But I am a huge fan of the pipes

Bobcat
09-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Years ago I heard jazz being played on the pipes. Now that was strange

John Smith
09-26-2011, 02:31 PM
I had gone to a couple of parades in which there were several bagpipe groups. they all played the same number. It would almost make one think it was the only song you could play with bag pipes. Then Glen Campbell did a couple of recordings with them, and they are very nice to listen to;

For those interested, "Little Drummer Boy" and "Amazing Grace".

trefor
09-26-2011, 03:59 PM
highland pipes are pretty loud, uilleann pipes are a bit more subdued. i'm a fan of either. there's a local session band that plays out every monday, i go and listen on occasion. it's always a richer sound when the piper is there. he plays either highland or uilleann bagpipes, depending.

-trevor

John Meachen
09-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Several years ago as a group of us left the sailing club after an evening meeting we were convinced we could hear bagpipes faintly,but could think of no reason why this should be.We mentioned it the following weekend and heard the explanation;the fellow's wife insisted that he didn't play the things in the house and if he felt the need to practice he took himself and his pipes off to a seafront shelter and let rip.Not heard him for a while.

Ray Frechette Jr
09-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Why do Bagpipe players always march when they play??

Ray Frechette Jr
09-26-2011, 04:25 PM
1.) A moving target is harder to hit.

Ray Frechette Jr
09-26-2011, 04:26 PM
2.) Even they try to get away from the sound too!

Ray Frechette Jr
09-26-2011, 04:26 PM
What is the difference between a Trampoline and a set of Bag Pipes???

Ray Frechette Jr
09-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Generally people will remove their shoes before jumping on the Trampoline.

Ray Frechette Jr
09-26-2011, 04:29 PM
You are lost int he woods. Suddenly you come across 4 people.

1) Santa Clause,

2.) The Easter Bunny

3.) A bagpipe player playing in tune

4.) A bagpipe player playing out of tune.

You ask which is the shortest way out of the woods and they all point in a different direction.

Which one should you follow their direction?

Ray Frechette Jr
09-26-2011, 04:29 PM
The Bagpipe player playing out of tune. Obviously the other three are hallucinations.

Ray Frechette Jr
09-26-2011, 04:30 PM
I really do like Bagpipe music. I have 2 CD's full in the car.

I do however like Bagpipe jokes even more than Bagpipe music.

elf
09-26-2011, 04:33 PM
The postmaster in Woods Hole played the highland pipes with his regimental pipe band. He practiced outside the back door, kitty corner to the MV ferry, during his lunchtime.

One of those things that makes Woods Hole not like anywhere else in the world.

He also had a serious after-school program for the irish kids and taught many of them to play their pipes. Some of them graduated to the highland pipes and marched at town parades all over the Cape. You gotta have whopping good lungs to play highland pipes whereas the uilleann pipe bag is filled by a bellows.

As many of you have mentioned, the pipes come out at funereal events. Teaching the kids to play them produced an income stream for the best of the kids.

About 20 orders of magnitude better than working at McDonalds.