PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Sunfish

marsbar
08-05-2008, 09:32 PM
My daughter just called to tell us that her sunfish hull was stolen off her mooring in the bay in Lavallette NJ yesterday or today. She filed a police report and gave a description (too old for a HID), but there wasn't much hope in the police finding it. I placed notices on all the NJ Craiglist sites and we will post some lost and found signs around the town. I'm not very optomistic.

Any suggestions on how we may increasing our odds at recovering the 1970 sunfish hull would be appreciated. Its really not worth a lot, but it was my daughters first sailboat. Unfortunately, she has now grown-up to appreciate there are some really worthless people around.

Take care,

Mark

bamamick
08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Mark, I am sorry for your trouble. It seems to me that it might possibly show up and that communicating your loss may be your biggest issue. Just letting people know how to get in touch with you.

I have heard of people stealing Star sails from regatta sites. Now who in the world would do that? What would they do with the sails? They've got numbers glued onto them. Probably just wound up in a dumpster somewhere. What a waste.

Mickey Lake

ssor
08-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Any marks, bumps, rubs , and paint colors that make it distinctive help. Rewards also help. I have long advocated hippie paint jobs on easily stolen boats and dinks. If it could be identified from a distance and was too ugly to attract a thief it would still sail well.

Russ Manheimer
08-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Sorry to hear that Mark. Any photos available? I'll keep an eye out at Beatons.

Russ

Mrleft8
08-06-2008, 08:04 AM
You could post a sign saying "Whoever borrowed my boat, I'd like it back now please".... You never know... The first year I had the "Marjie B." in the water some kids decided it was the best rock throwing target in the world. I put up a sign that said "Please stop throwing rocks at my boat" and it worked.

George Roberts
08-06-2008, 09:12 AM
"(too old for a HID)"

Wise people would have put a HIN in anyway.

---

I don't know how to find stolen boats. But perhaps an ad offering to buy such a boat would work.

Joe (SoCal)
08-06-2008, 09:16 AM
"(too old for a HID)"

Wise people would have put a HIN in anyway.

---

I don't know how to find stolen boats. But perhaps an ad offering to buy such a boat would work.

Wise people would.......................

Tom Hunter
08-06-2008, 09:20 AM
My rowboat was stolen once. Found it 500 yards away on a nieghbors dock, a bunch of beer swilling idiots took it for a ride, then broke the neighbors trampoline.

You or your daughter should get into a power boat and do some looking. If the Sunfish was taken for a joy ride it may be somewhere near by.

Good luck getting it back.

Joe (SoCal)
08-06-2008, 09:26 AM
I agree with Tom unless the thieves were smart, which is usually NOT the case with stealing an old sunfish it's probably not far. I dont see how someone would bring it to a ramp and trailer it away. Scout around.

Wish I was able to go with ya. An old grizzled bald guy adds some presence of mind if we find the thieves ;)

marsbar
08-06-2008, 09:14 PM
There are some really smart people on this forum. Just as was predicted, the hull was beached a quarter mile north from her mooring. Police called and suspected it to be my daughters. Probably taken for a joy ride or some local mischif. Its good to know the local police made the effort to spread the word among the force..nice job!

Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement!

Regards....Mark

Sailing reenactor
08-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Hip, Hip, HURRAY!
Now you just gotta think of future "Borrowing" prevension methods.
Like...Electrifying your boat when it's not in use.
:D:eek:

Russ Manheimer
08-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Great news Mark. I had a similar siutation with my duckboat 20 years ago. Same as it ever was.

Let's go for a sail this Fall.

Russ

marsbar
08-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks everyone! Just picked up a "great big lock". At least it will look more secure now. Chrissy and I will have a real nice sail on her this weekend :D.

Russ, will catch up with you very soon at Beatons. I haven't been there since our outing last year and I need a "Beaton's fix". I just love to walk up and down the lanes in the yard, feasting my eyes on all the potential there ;), not to mention the docks. Jim O'Reily told me they are rebuilding a Herreshoff.