PDA

View Full Version : Are we facing another Herbert Hoover presidency?

Thom T
08-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Will the problems facing the next President be insurmountable? Will he in fact be blamed for not having short term solutions to long term problems? Can anyone realistically get us out of this mess?

Milo Christensen
08-05-2008, 08:41 AM
We're going to need some pretty drastic fiscal discipline at the Federal, state, local and personal levels. I don't see that happening from either side at the Federal level and the "trickle down" is forcing states, local governments and individuals to really buckle down.

TomF
08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Unless truly gifted, and surrounded by gifted people, the next president will find governing very difficult indeed. IMO that's why Al Gore did not throw his hat into the ring ...

IMO, the deep strategy for the Rips is to conduct this election campaign with a view to losing the current round ... but strengthening their "base" support to win in 2012 when Obama has alienated swing voters by being unable to provide short term solutions to the long term problems resulting from Bush's mismanagement.

TimH
08-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Al Gore would have been the best choice. I think he is fed up with the system and rigged elections. I wouldnt have done it again if I were him.

ishmael
08-05-2008, 09:33 AM
"Al Gore would have been the best choice." Oh good heaven, I can't imagine anyone wanting that wannbe preacher droning on at us in this current crisis. The last thing we need right now is to be bored to death.

We'll get through this. We are starting to realize that we can't simply keep printing dollars. The rest of the world, which trades in our money, is going to start guffawing pretty soon. But we've been in tougher spots, and we'll get through this one.

TimH
08-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Al Gore is a great speaker. I could listen to him all day.

ishmael
08-05-2008, 09:43 AM
"Al Gore is a great speaker. I could listen to him all day."

Well, to each his own said the man as he kissed his cow.

"There's a book up on the shelf about the dust bowl days.

There's a little bit of me and a little bit of you in the photos on every page.

Our parents had their hard times fifty years ago

When they stood out in these empty fields in dust as deep as snow."

Not sure who wrote that.

Gonzalo
08-05-2008, 09:43 AM
The last thing we need right now is to be bored to death. That's true, I suppose, if the president's job is to entertain us. After the "entertaining" years of Clinton and Bush, a little boring peace and prosperity is exactly what I want.

Phillip Allen
08-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Al Gore is a great speaker. I could listen to him all day.you GOT to be kidding...BAAAH!

Phillip Allen
08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
"Al Gore is a great speaker. I could listen to him all day."

Well, to each his own said the man as he kissed his cow.

"There's a book up on the shelf about the dust bowl days.

There's a little bit of me and a little bit of you in the photos on every page.

Our parents had their hard times fifty years ago

When they stood out in these empty fields in dust as deep as snow."

Not sure who wrote that.

Maura O'connell sings it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l87JpWkbI0&feature=related

TomF
08-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Al can think, and in the intervening years since 2000, he's learned a lot more about how to speak without sounding like the arrogant smart kid. Doubtless, losing the presidency was a huge wake-up call ... it's not enough to have better ideas - you've got to have people like you.

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-05-2008, 10:03 AM
"Al Gore would have been the best choice." Oh good heaven, I can't imagine anyone wanting that wannbe preacher droning on at us in this current crisis. The last thing we need right now is to be bored to death.

We'll get through this. We are starting to realize that we can't simply keep printing dollars. The rest of the world, which trades in our money, is going to start guffawing pretty soon. But we've been in tougher spots, and we'll get through this one.

We got thru' the Great Depression didn't we?
But it took a dozen years, 30% unemployment, massive personal dislocations, a war and leadership from the greatest politician of the 20th century.
This time we are heading for a great economic downturn with a president that seems unable to comprehend what is happening. He may have had a lot to do with kicking the props out from under the economy himself.
The next president will have to hit the ground running and there is only one candidate that can do that. So, your choice is to vote your guts or vote your brains.

TimH
08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Al can think, and in the intervening years since 2000, he's learned a lot more about how to speak without sounding like the arrogant smart kid. Doubtless, losing the presidency was a huge wake-up call ... it's not enough to have better ideas - you've got to have people like you.

As Al proved, it takes more than having people like you. It takes a non-rigged election.

If you remember...he won the popular vote easily.

TimH
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
The next president will have to hit the ground running and there is only one candidate that can do that. So, your choice is to vote your guts or vote your brains.

Only one candidate could run at all without having a heart attack.

Thom T
08-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Tell the truth, is any past president as popular as Al Gore is today? The guy is a Rock Star! ( yes some people don't care for rock stars ) But could we pleaseget back to the original question

Kaa
08-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Whine, whine, bitch, bitch.

Oh, please, won't some saint/rockstar/ubermensch save us?

Kaa

Thom T
08-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I would have thought all wooden boat builders were "Tree Huggers"

ishmael
08-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Thinking on this thread, all the points of view, trying to anyway, someone asked what president, who should we have as a president? It's a complex question, and I do think the office has gained much more prominence than was intended. Yet, when the chips are down we naturally look to the office. Right or wrong, they are in the catbird seat.

Hoover, by most accounts, was a very good man. Honest, kind, and smart as a proverbial whip. But when the shyte hit the fan he didn't know how to inspire. Maybe Freud was correct and it comes down to tribal feeling. Roosevelt, FDR, who had his own set of problems as all of us do, knew how to inspire. In the darkest days when people heard him speak they believed again. It will get better. We can do this! Churchill, another inspirer, once remarked of FDR that meeting him was like drinking your first glass of bubbly.

One can argue about the role of the president, but sometimes we need a glass of bubbly.

Greg P H
08-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Considering the state of our country's infrastructure, maybe spending money on something other than the military would (in my opinion) be an excellent idea. A little Hooverism, there is so much that needs fixing, we don't have to 'make work'
Shift he mindset and energies from destruction and profit taking, over to creation and investment in the country, and the people that choose to live here.

hokiefan
08-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Considering the state of our country's infrastructure, maybe spending money on something other than the military would (in my opinion) be an excellent idea. A little Hooverism, there is so much that needs fixing, we don't have to 'make work'
Shift he mindset and energies from destruction and profit taking, over to creation and investment in the country, and the people that choose to live here.

This is an outstanding idea. We need a strong military, but if we stop shooting at folks so often, they wouldn't be so expensive to keep around.

Bobby

PeterSibley
08-05-2008, 05:07 PM
We need a strong military,
Why do you need a military anywhere as strong as the current one .Wouldn't 25% do ? Who is going to invade the continental USA ?

skuthorp
08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Interesting article on Obama and his falling appeal here: http://www.salon.com/opinion/walsh/index.html
Uses the word 'tribe', one of my contentions about the way humans behave too.

LeeG
08-05-2008, 05:50 PM
One can argue about the role of the president, but sometimes we need a glass of bubbly.

WTF?