PDA

View Full Version : A plan is hatched!!! Abrolhos pearl!!!

Wild Dingo
08-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Mates... MATES!!! Good god I never thought the day would come but arrived it has

THIS (http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2880351) IS THE ONE THAT HAS MY NAME ON HER!!

As Margo would say...

OMG!

OMG!!

OMG!!!

http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?S=ISS&wmin=boatpoint&PD=18873658

Perhaps TonyH or someone else will see this thread and finally fullfill their dream... personally I give up its over so take it easy all... whenever sheerwater arrives from Steve the legend I will post pics as I start building.

Such is life :rolleyes:

Cheers

paladin
08-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Shane....that's more boat than you need........

Wild Dingo
08-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Shane....that's more boat than you need........

:( Now Chuck mate that plain hurts... I know all the againsts but mate its THE one... and hell theres enough room aboard for you to get yer arse into gear and do a last circumnavigation before I toss yer frayed burnt out worn out ol bod overboard to the ministrations of Neptune an the mermaids ;) This as well as the wonton women we will pick up as handy crew!!... any smaller and we wouldnt have room enough!!! I may be a short arse but mate I gots me needs!! ;)

Now come on old son give with the positives!!

Or should I try for a dodgey brothers 20K piver tri? :confused:

paladin
08-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't touch the Piver tri if it was new. They use a balanced rudder, no leading skeg, no centerboard for lateral resistance. If it's a piver it probably has polyester resin and glass on it, and those damn crossarms that you have to duck under (crawl under) twice to get from one end to the other.....the boat picture may be a nice boat, but one....after you buy it you'll be broke or worse, in debt...two.....then you will go in debt or farther in debt, then where will you be?.....A boat is a lot of work....and you can live on a 26-28 footer very well and entertain the critters for a while during their summers.
You may lust after a conventionally constructed wooden boat, but with a smaller boat of more modern construction you need less, no winches, make your own blocks and cleats except for the mooring cleats, plastic jugs for water, a two burner for cooking, and depending on where you travel, 6 inches of foam insulation will keep ice for a week or two.....transport...get a small bike or a really cheap beater. You can make your own anchors instead of the expensive stuff and the boat can be maintained by a few hand tools.....I started that way and went upward exponentially....and I learned.......

Wild Dingo
08-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Alright Chuck I read you.

Such is life.

paladin
08-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Shane.....Bruce Roberts has plans for a fat little single chine double headsail cutter.....at 26 feet....that's like a Flicka only larger...they make a 28 foot version also. Using ply and fir bulkheads you could build that boat in about 6 months with a roughed in interior. Make the spars from fir or equal. If you sold the house all you would need is a small one bedroom place to live while building the boat and it could be built mostly in a garage, with a tent extension at the ends....keep the tools in the garage....the cockpit is very comfortable for four.....the boat is designed for steel, but works well in ply by adding an extra layer of 3/8ths inch. It can be built with a skil saw, power drill, power hand plane etc....you don't even need the big tools unless you have them and it will make the work go faster.

Hwyl
08-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Dingo, I looked at the boat. It looks like it's seriously on offer. If I were you; I'd scrape up what you could, tell the owner your story and make a serious lowball offer, say $10 to 15K AU, they can only say "on your bike".

Glen Longino
08-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't touch the Piver tri if it was new. They use a balanced rudder, no leading skeg, no centerboard for lateral resistance. If it's a piver it probably has polyester resin and glass on it, and those damn crossarms that you have to duck under (crawl under) twice to get from one end to the other.....the boat picture may be a nice boat, but one....after you buy it you'll be broke or worse, in debt...two.....then you will go in debt or farther in debt, then where will you be?.....A boat is a lot of work....and you can live on a 26-28 footer very well and entertain the critters for a while during their summers.
You may lust after a conventionally constructed wooden boat, but with a smaller boat of more modern construction you need less, no winches, make your own blocks and cleats except for the mooring cleats, plastic jugs for water, a two burner for cooking, and depending on where you travel, 6 inches of foam insulation will keep ice for a week or two.....transport...get a small bike or a really cheap beater. You can make your own anchors instead of the expensive stuff and the boat can be maintained by a few hand tools.....I started that way and went upward exponentially....and I learned.......

Any specific 26-28 foot boats you could recommend, Chuck?
I rarely post above decks but I read the threads. This thread caught my attention.
Kinda hard watching Dingo's excitement turn to shyte in his hand but I think you're right about this boat and Dingo will be happier later if he takes your advice. Damn near makes me want to build a live-aboard boat.
L

paladin
08-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Dollar for dollar invested the Bruce Roberts 26-28 footer is about as cheap as you can go for a serious blue water cruiser for minimalist operation. I am still considering a sailboat in the 30 foot range but keeping options open for the power boat that I started called the Blackhawk 33.....it's a wash for the engine or the rigging.....
Wooden cleats are fine for most operations...except for hanging your life on the hook then I vote for all metal 4 holers...at 26-28 feet you really don't need winches (o.k. maybe a wench or two....)

Concordia...41
08-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Maybe it's more boat than Shane needs, but that's for Shane to decide. In the mean time, I think it has "Wild Dingo" written all over it :D

Stu Fyfe
08-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Dingo,
All you need now is Albie Mangles!

paladin
08-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Shane......if you can get her for 10-15K you'll need another 15K or so to clean her uo and fix things.....as a minimum.....more if you do all the work that is required.

The Bigfella
08-03-2008, 08:57 PM
There's a bit of a hint in the advert - something about needing more attention.

Clues like that might hide fix-it bills with six zeros.

Glen Longino
08-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Don't make me come down there and sink that boat so you can't buy it!

Kaa
08-03-2008, 11:38 PM
From the ad: "Requires a committed wooden boat lover prepared to spend time on her, owner unable to give her the attention she deserves."

That's a very bad sentence. It means, essentially, that she needs A LOT of work.

Kaa

The Bigfella
08-03-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't regret doing it ..... but it is a LOT of work. New deck, new cabin, engine rebuilds, gearbox rebuilds, new everything else mechanical, .......

Trust me Shane - run......

shamus
08-04-2008, 02:11 AM
Might mean they want to see her go to someone who knows what is involved. You don't know what she needs till you look hard. Get a survey!

Ads are sometimes poorly written. When we bought our boat, several people were put off by the line "3 berths, 1 double" which turned out to mean 3 berths plus 1 double. One guy told me "Yeah I saw that, but its too small, only 3 berths.."