PDA

View Full Version : Obama/Paris Hilton celebrity ad

Nicholas Scheuer
07-31-2008, 06:41 AM
McCain's campaign is clearly resirting to the same old (excrememt). No surprize there. But not obtaining Hilton's permission to use her image in the ad amounts to rank amatuerism.

And McCain purports to be the "experienced" leader? When will he begin displaying some evidence that he even has a clue?

Moby Nick

botebum
07-31-2008, 08:03 AM
One of the claims of the ad is that Obama wants to tax electricity more. This is a convoluted deduction taken out of context from something he said in an interview regarding funding education.

The McCain campaign sent reporters a set of "ad facts" to accompany the new spot. But the campaign's sole source for its charge that Obama wants to raise taxes on electricity is a short Feb. 19 interview that Obama gave to Carlos Guerra, a reporter with the San Antonio Express-News. Obama does in fact say, "What we ought to tax is dirty energy, like coal and, to a lesser extent, natural gas." But that quote is out of context. Obama and Guerra are discussing possible ways to fund education. Here's the pertinent passage, in full:

Guerra: Have you considered other funding sources, say taxing emerging energy forms, for example, say a penny per kilowatt hour on wind energy?

Obama: Well, thatís clean energy, and we want to drive down the cost of that, not raise it. We need to give them subsidies so they can start developing that. What we ought to tax is dirty energy, like coal and, to a lesser extent, natural gas.
But I think that the real way to fund education is for local communities to step up and say this is important to us. There are no shortcuts. When people say they want to fund education with lotteries, or do this or do that, what they are saying is that this isnít a top priority. It should be a top priority and people should be saying, we get what we pay for.Source (http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/obamas_celebrity_cred.html)
Has McCain got a platform besides flailing attacks on Obama. If so, I'd sure like to see it.

Doug

S.V. Airlie
07-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Umm thread title mentions Paris Hilton.. umm, don't see a connection. Not even mentioned. Fora minute there, i thought she was actually gonna vote this year instead of just talking about doing so...

ishmael
07-31-2008, 08:16 AM
"Has McCain got a platform besides flailing attacks on Obama."

I'm sure McCain's platform is well spelled out. He's 9 points down in some polls, so he's doing what all pols do, attack.

The point about Obama coming off as a celebrity is well taken. He is the rock star of American politics today. I happen to think he's also a serious man, but we shall see. I think we are going to get a chance to see, if the poll numbers are correct.

I remain troubled by his twenty year association with Reverend Wright. But, young men confronted with the reality of office often become better men. If he's elected, which seems likely, I will do my best to support him. It's going to be a tough row to hoe.

botebum
07-31-2008, 08:18 AM
There is no comparison Jamie. I think the point was to infer that Obama was just another celebrity of no substance. Sounds a lot like more of McFeeble's "Sour Grapes" campaign standard.

Doug

Nicholas Scheuer
07-31-2008, 08:20 AM
Apparently (I have seen a newscast replay of it only once, and may not remember it acurately) the new "celebrity ad" flashes the image of Paris Hilton as part of collage of images intended to portray Obama as some sort of "mindless bimbo international airhead celebrity", just like Hilton and whomever.

Moby Nick

john l
07-31-2008, 08:23 AM
very revealing. True Substance.....of McCain!

he's fit for the president of the national enquirer...but then again that may be the america of today. i don't believe so...maybe DCers are even more out of touch
than i thought.

Gonzalo
07-31-2008, 08:31 AM
On NPR this morning a McCain defender (didn't catch if he is an official spokesman or just a pundit) said the use of Paris Hilton and Britney Spears in the TV spot was to emphasize that just because someone is a celebrity doesn't mean they are qualified to lead.

They are again trying to make the point that there isn't any substance to Obama's popularity. They did this before by claiming that he hasn't made any policy proposals.

Keith Wilson
07-31-2008, 08:45 AM
They are again trying to make the point that there isn't any substance to Obama's popularity. They did this before by claiming that he hasn't made any policy proposals.And now they're doing it by claiming he's "just a celebrity" in an ad without any substance whatsoever. Oh, the irony!

Osborne Russell
07-31-2008, 11:03 AM
If you're popular, they call you insubstantial. When you talk substance, they call you an elitist -- without a trace of shame.

Captain Blight
07-31-2008, 11:23 AM
"Elitist" is Republican-speak for "smarter than me"

Gonzalo
07-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Captain B, I think "elitist" is republican-speak for "he thinks he's smarter than you."

Keith Wilson
07-31-2008, 02:10 PM
If you're popular, they call you insubstantial. When you talk substance, they call you an elitist -- without a trace of shame.Sometimes in the same sentence, and without realizing they're doing anything at all incongruous.

I really hope that soon we'll have a president who's smarter than I am.

C. Ross
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
I really hope that soon we'll have a president who's smarter than I am.

Well, I googled it and Zoltan the Enlarged from Planet Cranium has refused his party's nomination, so you aren't getting your wish.

Hughman
07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Zoltan the Engorged....

Haven't we been screwed enough?

Bob Adams
07-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Where's the Good Reverend from Memphis? All this Paris talk and not a peep?

C. Ross
07-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Haven't we been screwed enough?

That's not a nice thing to say about Keith!

Nicholas Scheuer
07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Need we any additional proof that McCain is merely running for a "third Bush term"?

Where will the line of shrubery separating America from the rest of the World end?

MN

Osborne Russell
07-31-2008, 06:08 PM
On NPR this morning a McCain defender (didn't catch if he is an official spokesman or just a pundit) said the use of Paris Hilton and Britney Spears in the TV spot was to emphasize that just because someone is a celebrity doesn't mean they are qualified to lead.

After two terms of Dubya, the GOP's not in a position to put a lot of stress on this point. Or to speak of qualifications for any office. They made it plain that the only qualifications they consider vital are loyalty, Christian Evangelicalism, and a flag pin. Anything beyond that is just naturally going to tend toward elitism.

Maybe McCain could walk the tightrope if he dropped the negative ads, but then learned to mis-pronounce and gave Angela Merkel a surprise neck rub.