PDA

View Full Version : Avian Intruder

The Bigfella
07-29-2008, 07:34 PM
I was checking my emails a few minutes back and heard some unusual noises in the kitchen. My wife had left the screen door ajar and in wandered Teddy Topknot - a Crested Pigeon.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/dove-1.jpg

After a short excursion around the house he was duly captured and released. Despite the fuffled feathers, he wasn't too concerned and flew straight up to his normal roost. :D

skuthorp
07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
In the last 2 years Topknots and Bronzewings have established colonies in our leafy eastern suburb. But the Currawongs are in plague proportions driving out the wrens and other small birds. Even the Wattlebirds hav trouble with them.

The Bigfella
07-29-2008, 07:55 PM
In the last 2 years Topknots and Bronzewings have established colonies in our leafy eastern suburb. But the Currawongs are in plague proportions driving out the wrens and other small birds. Even the Wattlebirds hav trouble with them.

I will possibly admit to maybe having got rid of a couple of Currawongs. There was a scientist on the ABC a couple of years back saying they should be shot in Sydney. The only reason they exist in the Basin is because of the food now available in urban gardens.

skuthorp
07-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Yes, a .22 and ratshot would do the trick, but unfortunately........... not any more.

Phillip Allen
07-29-2008, 08:13 PM
so THAT'S what an aussie's hand looks like...I thought it would be much hairier with gnarled nails and big calloused knuckles...:)

Pagie
07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I've eaten the pigeons, very nice. I wonder what the Currawongs tast like. I have a lot of birds of all sorts in my backyard. These ones are good bait for Murray Cod. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/77353738_451808f262.jpg

skuthorp
07-29-2008, 09:02 PM
I remember an old miner talking about Parrot pie, tough as nails he said and pretty scrawny they are too.

The Bigfella
07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
so THAT'S what an aussie's hand looks like...I thought it would be much hairier with gnarled nails and big calloused knuckles...:)

Look closely around the thumbnail base and you will see the remnants of the putty / primocon mix I "brewed" last week for the seams on Grantala. My daughter said something about a manicure....

Pagie - nice Crimson Rosella there. I've got some immature ones (still half green) feeding here at the moment. Your male King Parrot still has a ways to go. I had a nice one in the Melaleuca this morning.

sku - a .177 air rifle will do a Currawong. They may be big, but they aren't tough. The others know never to come back too.

I was just over at Barry's (chopping up a 6' slab of 8" x 3" Queensland Maple to make a mast for Grantala). He used to eat Brush Turkey for Sunday roast as a kid in FNQ. He keeps threatening to take my local one away. "My" Brush Turkey has built his nest just behind my hand in that photo. Pity he doesn't have a missus.