PDA

View Full Version : Car problems...

Thermo
07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
SWMBO sez: "You can start working on that boat after you fix my Jeep."

5 spd jeep has been a 4 spd for a few months now, the issue being a tiny 'snap ring' that holds 5th gear on to the mainshaft - a commpn problem with this tranny. Easy, right? Replace the cheap snap ring and go. We've been waiting for a good weekend to start, and this was it.

But there's just the matter of pulling off both driveshafts, shifters, wiring, then taking away the huge iron crossplate under the tranny, pulling out the tranny while still hooked to the transfer case (about 300 pounds all told) ...removing the transfer case from the tranny
,breaking open the gearbox and finding the broken snap-ring pieces, hammering the gear back onto the shaft splines and replacing the snap ring, then doing everything in reverse order to get it going.

I'm at the point where I just need to acquire a new snap ring and reassemble everything. Had to get the old pieces out, so that I can go to town and drive from place to place all day long to find a suitable replacement.

I'm not looking forward to heaving that beast back up underneath that Jeep. But if all works out and fifth gear is restored, then it's a green light on the next boat build!

Seriously, it's like 20 hours of labor to replace a $3 part.

The Bigfella
07-28-2008, 08:52 PM
I just swapped gearboxes on the M5 recently. Not 300lbs - but still not much fun.

brad9798
07-28-2008, 09:44 PM
That's why the dealer or an ASE tech. would charge you 600 bucks for the work ... but it would only take them about five hours!

;)

oldsub86
07-28-2008, 10:58 PM
I hope you have a tranny jack.

I have had the 5 speed and transfer case out of our 95 4Runner 3 times in about 5 years. First clutch wore out. 2nd was junk and replaced on warranty (parts only). Unfortunately, the replacement was not much better. Should have stuck with Toyota parts. 4th clutch is Toyota so fingers crossed that it is OK.

Randy

skuthorp
07-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I spent years swapping heavy bits in 4wd's, some of them on the track under a tree, and now I buy a place with a proper car hoist built in and I don't intend to do anything but an oil change. Is a hydraulic car hoist useful when building a boat?

The Bigfella
07-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Is a hydraulic car hoist useful when building a boat?

It is if you swap it for some timber with me....