PDA

View Full Version : Deer are not supposed to eat tomatos!

Hughman
07-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Or Potatos!

they have mowed 200' x 100 ' field of spuds, and started on the tomatoes. I put a fence around the tomatoes, it's a small area, but the potatoes I thought I could leave unfenced. silly me.

lead pills are not a possibility, the field abuts a neighbors property, and a road. I need some archery practice.

A deer hunter I spoke with was amazed. He suggested an air gun, to discourage them, but the critters stand there in broad day, munching on my garden and demanding why I'm bothering them!

They're fat, too :mad:

Paul Pless
07-26-2008, 06:42 AM
I think you should try a spear, dude. Or better yet, keeping in theme with forum, a trident. When you charge across the garden after the offending deer you could invoke Neptune and maybe Shiva too.;)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-26-2008, 06:43 AM
Do they not know that both of these are toxic?

Paul Pless
btw, I can empathize. Squirrels have been eating my tomatoes, who ever heard of such a thing.:mad:

Phillip Allen
head to your local trapper supply...get some preditor scent...mountain lion would be best...sprinkle it around the garden

Phillip Allen
07-26-2008, 06:44 AM
I think you should try a spear, dude. Or better yet, keeping in theme with forum, a trident. When you charge across the garden after the offending deer you could invoke Neptune and maybe Shiva too.;)

As in "Shiva me tempers"?

Phillip Allen
07-26-2008, 06:45 AM
btw, I can empathize. Squirrels have been eating my tomatoes, who ever heard of such a thing.:mad:

They need water, put some out somehow

Paul Pless
07-26-2008, 06:48 AM
They need water, put some out somehowI live between a river and a swamp.

Hwyl
07-26-2008, 07:05 AM
I live between a river and a swamp.

Oh no this thread has turned metaphysical.

Ron Williamson
07-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Start tilting a bunch of beer, then spread your own predatory scent.
R

Phillip Allen
07-26-2008, 07:24 AM

They get into my apples after the weather dries up. One bite out of each apple for the moisture...get the water up off the ground so they can get at it safely...

C. Ross
07-26-2008, 07:40 AM
We haven't heard back from Hughman. I think he took the spear and trident advice seriously.

Tonight venison shall roast, the heart sacrificed to Shiva and the liver to Neptune. The great hunter Hughman shall paint pictures of the battle on his garage walls using the red blood of his prey and the deep ochre of Maine. Evermore shall tomatoes and potatoes live in peace in the valley.

Phillip Allen
07-26-2008, 07:48 AM
and everybody lived happy ever after...

SMARTINSEN
07-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Can you sic your dog on them?

George Jung
07-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Had a neighbor do that. Dog is still running, two counties later.

We've had possum eat our tomatoes, and wild turkeys. When it's really dry, the yard birds even join in. River is 100 feet away, but.... there's predators (eagles, hawks, falcons) there - might be the reason.

We put a wire cage, and covered the top with screening, for our tomatoes. It helps, but isn't critter proof. The peppers (deer got 'em) and sweetcorn may have to fend for itself.

Phillip Allen
07-26-2008, 09:02 AM
you can big the job...I promis the will do the trick...

Hughman
07-26-2008, 10:34 AM

Oh no this thread has turned metaphysical.

priceless.

Phillip Allen
07-26-2008, 10:44 AM
priceless.

well...where'dya go? (stab any deers lately)

Hughman
07-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Phillip, I'm sharpening the trident. Neptune disavows any land based use of instruments/tools/weapons from his arsenal. Ungulates puzzle him, as not from his realm. Especially these ungulates, which have demonstratively exceeded anything in the charismatic megafauna user guide.

I'm considering my options.

Any advice from the assembled members of this august forum (or is it July?) will be considered dependent on the adviser, and calculated relative to the gratuity tendered.

paladin
07-26-2008, 11:48 AM
It can be done silently........I have two razor sharp buck skinning knives.......the little bow pulls 55 pounds at 28 inches and 70 pounds at 31.....the arrows allow the 31 inch overdraw......broadheads are 3 bladed razor heads 7/8ths inch across....bow will propel the arrow to around 550 feet/second......arrow weighs 800 plus grains........
I even have two bags of charcoal in the trunk of the Buick, can bring the olive oil and garlic if you have the potatoes/carrots/celery and onions.........

Nanoose
07-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Sounds like a "partay"!! :D Gimme the address....and I'll bring the potatoes/carrots/celery and onions....AND the dessert! :D

Phillip Allen
07-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a "partay"!! :D Gimme the address....and I'll bring the potatoes/carrots/celery and onions....AND the dessert! :D

you're bringing potatos? That's baiting and is not done! (wonder if these are German deer?)

paladin
07-26-2008, 02:02 PM
apples is baiting...potatoes is the veggie for the meat course....

Phillip Allen
07-26-2008, 02:20 PM
apples is baiting...potatoes is the veggie for the meat course....

But...but Human said they ate his potato(e)s ...(maybe they're Quail?)

paladin
07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
OK we get stuffed venison already...got some mushrooms?

Phillip Allen
07-26-2008, 02:53 PM
no mushrooms but I got mould

Hughman
07-26-2008, 03:15 PM
This is sounding better all the time! :)

George Jung
07-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Ahh... finding a lil' good in all that bad......

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
07-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Start tilting a bunch of beer, then spread your own predatory scent.
R

Ron's Idea sounds the most fun and it could be effective.
Might make the tomatos taste funny.

Tylerdurden
07-27-2008, 05:24 AM
They're behavior is getting weird. A couple of does with young came down my road the other day heading right for the dog. I saw the dog with this puzzled look just stand there. They just came right up to a 100# Shepherd. Plain stupid.
When they got about 20 feet from him he went into action and then they hit the woods.
I have never seen that before, like they didn't care or wanting to pick a fight.

Maybe you can rig some perimeter alarms using wildlife 12Ga. rounds? One or two of those going off will scare the pants off them and cause no danger to others.

AussieBarney
07-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Paladin I wish you would stop teasin'. I got my great granddaddies spear and his woomera as well. I woud love to try it out against the tatter stealin' wildlife. I can get an accurate spear cast out to about 25 or 30 yards with enough power and velocity to kill a roo. would that do against deer? only problem is I can't afford the airfare to join the hunt So you will have to take my share:D:p love the idea of cooking them I have never tasted deer. Barney

Phillip Allen
07-27-2008, 05:46 AM
I expect the real problem with using a spear is getting it launched without the deer doing what they do best...suddenly bounding to one side...they're quick

Tylerdurden
07-27-2008, 05:56 AM
I prefer wildlife rounds, if the deer see this hissing thing flying their way they get moving but if you lead them right the report goes off just behind their hooves. If they were constipated before they are not after:D

I get the feeling they will remember where it happened.

Bill Lowe
07-27-2008, 06:47 AM
We have a fenced in garden at on melons grow up and out the fence deer keep them well trimed along with the potatoes and tomatoes that are outside the fence. Next year only onions and garlic will grow outside. By now they have hit the day lillys, roses and most of what blooms to the point that Cathy and the neighbors are talking heavy artelliary so they bring on the fawns and everyone turns th mush. Has anyone noticed how deer away attracts Vulchers? My brother in law lives outside Fairbanks Ak and uses fireworks bombs to chase Moose away from his garden. PS The sling shot works pretty well. Oh Well good luck and good eating.

skuthorp
07-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Kangaroos eat tomatoes too, and rhubarb leaves. Possums like parsley, apples, lemon rind, roses and just about any greenery you might mention. Roo is good healthy eating but I'm sure there's a recipe for possm pie somewhere. We have some deer in the mountains, Sambar, and Red deer escapees from farms. Pretty shy though.