PDA

View Full Version : Quantities of Bedding Compound

Glen Meador
07-27-2001, 06:59 AM
I am replacing approximately 120 square feet of double planking on the 42' Owens I am restoring. I am using bedding compound (Interlux) between the layers of planking. The problem I have is the stuff only comes in quart cans and gets real expensive quick besides the pain of using the small cans. Does anybody know where I can get a good bedding compound in at least gallon and preferably 5 gallon cans.

Thanks

Dale Harvey
07-27-2001, 08:48 AM
Simpl call Interlux, they will be more than happy to reccomend a supplier. This is most certainly NOT what I would reccomend for the process. It is rather foolish to "restore" a boat like this, especially with a process that will guarantee she rots again when the planks wick all of the oil out of the compound and water gets in.

RGM
07-27-2001, 08:50 AM
Try to hunt down some "Dolfinite Bedding Compound". It's available in gallon cans. Heat it up a little bit on an electrical hot plate prior to applying it with a notched trowel, it will go on easier. Be careful not to cook the solvents out of it. Also, when warmed up a little bit you can add other snake oils and elixers of your choice to it (copper napthanate, etc.) if you wish to enhance it's anti-fungal properties. Not a bad idea since the stuff presently doesn't have much in the way of anti-fungal properties. Good luck.

dasboat
07-27-2001, 10:31 AM
Hopefully you are removing the old canvas from between the planks(Ithink thats how the double planked owens was built)to avoid the old stuff acting as a wick.
Which model is your owens,Aruba maybe?
Dasboat

Glen Meador
07-27-2001, 05:59 PM
Wrong choice of words - definately not restoring this old boat - repairing and modernizing is more like it - no apearance contests for 1965 Owens Aruba's that I know of. Boat runs good and is intact - started to sand for repainting and decided once and for all to fix the hull. Main Problems are around topsides bow on both sides. Have removed 7 planks down from shear on both sides and fully replaced inner planking. Scraped hell out of any old inner planking for good adhesion. I am temted to go to Home Depot and just buy a case of exterior caulk (not silicone) for a 1.99 a tube and use it. Previous bedding looks like canvas and white lead troweled on. Boat has lasted 36 years this way, give me another 10 and I'll be happy. What do you think?

Glen Meador
07-27-2001, 06:11 PM
P.S. I did call Interlux and got as far as their regional rep - then called headquaters and was refered back to local distributor. 1 quart cans are the most they package.

I have bought $4000 dollars worth of mahogany for this project so I am definately not trying to cheap it out. But its just iratating that the bedding compound cost almost as much as the wood and I don't like working with the quart cans.