PDA

View Full Version : If only I didn't need a dependable car for long trips

cs
07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Than this would be the perfect choice.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/car/766523206.html

http://images.craigslist.org/011606010403010312200807234e3a6dbaf933483c410032d8 .jpg

Chad

paladin
07-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Ya really need one of these.....

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj152/paladinsfo/61_triumph_tr_3a_CC_KM_06.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj152/paladinsfo/61_triumph_tr_3a_CC_KM_01.jpg

Tylerdurden
07-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Just buy a ****ebox and what you save on payments and insurance will cover the occasional rental for such trips. I have been doing that for years now and I would not have it any other way. Besides I can get whatever vehicle I want or need to make the trip better.

pcford
07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Well, I feel bad about saying this...kinda like badmouthing an old gf......but....

I HAD a '77 MGB. I had it for about 15 years; for most of this time it my my daily driver. I took a few "long trips" to Eastern Washington. It performed fine....well there was that time it inexplicably shut down on the way up Chinook Pass. (Got out, took a leak, stood around for 15 minutes, got back in and drove away.)

During the time that I owned it, I would ridicule rice-burner econoboxes. The B had so much more character than these bland little things.

Well, I set up a line item for MGB repair expenses in my bookkeeping software. I had spent $9000 in seven years. And that does not include labor I had done myself.

Until the last few months I owned it, it was a fairly reliable car. If you mean getting you somewhere and back that is. However, it was forever needing upgrades or other major work...brakes, manifolds and exhaust replacement. Clutches. Top. Suspension.

My gf, for some reason, was not as enthusiastic about the car as I was. Something about getting her ankles wet when it rained. (?) Women!

Well, the B finally passed away and I bought an inexpensive Toyota with a rebuilt engine. So cheap it had never had a radio. White two door. Does not have a bit of sex in it. In the 18 months I have owned it I have purchased two tires and wiper blades.

But no drafts in winter and you can see out of it in cold weather.

And you know, what does a guy like me need additional sex appeal??!! I think you know what I mean.

Tylerdurden
07-23-2008, 01:14 PM
And you know, what does a guy like me need additional sex appeal??!! I think you know what I mean.

Yeah, your fully loaded with asexual sex appeal:D

I think even your hand throws up afterwards.

bob winter
07-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Norman, as far as I know, the MGA has 12 volt electrics, two six volt batteries stuck under the floor behind the seats. A joy to get at at night during a storm. At least the TR3 has the battery where you can get at it. I've owned a couple of TR3's and I think they beat the stuffing out of the MGA. Of course, they are all pieces of **** what with SU's, Lucas, and Girling to say nothing of the stripped splines on the knock offs.

I personally think the sexiest of the bunch was the 4 cyl. Austin Healy. When they went to a six they had to stretch the body a bit and that spoiled it.

pcford
07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, your fully loaded with asexual sex appeal:D

I think even your hand throws up afterwards.

Oh, Lizard Boy, why do you talk so rough?

George Jung
07-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Forget it, Chad. Rumor has it you came into 'plans' that are begging to be built! You can't afford a toy car now! :D

Tylerdurden
07-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Don't sweat it, its a simulation like your boat building abilities.

pcford
07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Don't sweat it, its a simulation like your boat building abilities.

Really? Have you taken the time to check on that. A bright boy like you should be able to do that easily.

After all, you can see the hidden hands and veiled faces that rule the universe.

David Tabor (sailordave)
07-23-2008, 01:29 PM

After reading THAT, can you just imagine Mark's idea of foreplay and sweet talk??:p

George Jung
07-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Gotta get that image outta my head - THANKS, DAVE!

pcford
07-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Norman, as far as I know, the MGA has 12 volt electrics, two six volt batteries stuck under the floor behind the seats. A joy to get at at night during a storm.

Yeah, the B had a 12 volt back of the seats. Was always having trouble because I did not maintain it because of inconvenient location.

I bought a marine gell cell battery....cost $170 bucks. But it had much less problems with corrosion. Currently running it in the ricer.

Tylerdurden
07-23-2008, 01:38 PM
After reading THAT, can you just imagine Mark's idea of foreplay and sweet talk??:p

No sweet talk, I am pretty direct and nasty. The funny thing is thats what most of them want. Usually these days most of the tramps have an abacus in their purse to decide if you worth dating. I skip that bull and just be myself. They get pissed when you show no interest.

If the good lord wants me to have another mate he will put one in front of me. If not I just don't have time to play games.

I am seriously bored with the whole scene, cant tell can you?

cs
07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
In the past I've owned 2 different '76 MGB's. The MGB is my favorite and I kinda like the rubber bumpers. But anyway those cars always needed working on, but I kinda enjoyed working on them and they were fun to drive. BTW I took the steering wheel off and put a little bitty 12-1/4" Grant GT wheel on. That made it easeir getting in and out of the car without opening the door.

If I didn't need a long trip car I would definitly want to get another B to drive every day, except maybe in the winter. Ahh heck why not, our winters are mild enoughh.

I drove one one time from Chattanooga, TN to Minot ND (only 1500 miles) and I was kind of suprised and pleased that I only had 2 breakdowns.

Chad

Paul Pless
07-23-2008, 02:56 PM
The twin SU carbs were a beast to synchronize: you needed either a specialized tool kit with little metal indicators to tell when the internal pistons were at the same height, or you needed a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels to listen for equal hiss in the throats. Nahhhh, very easy actually easy to deal with English carbs... discard the SU's and perhaps even the intake and replace with the bolt on Weber kits!:p

I've owned a TR-6, Spitfires, a GT-6, and currently an MGB. My favorite is probably the big Triumphs - they were nice affordable little English roadsters with a little refinement and a decent amount of power too.

Saltiguy
07-23-2008, 03:45 PM
As a young man, I went through the MG and Healey thing and one day a friend who knew I liked Brit cars told me of a car a friend of his had for sale. We went to see it and it was an AC Bristol, a car I had never heard of, but it was pure, and I bought it immediatly. A few years later,the AC became the platform for Shelbys' AC Cobra. The Bristol was a 2 liter 6, in race tune. Geared low, I blew the doors off almost anything on the road. Very fast, very stiff handling, just like a Cobra. The sound of that car at high revs was the meanest thing I've ever heard. Later, I ended up owning 3 of these cars, one with an aluminum Buick stuffed in with a vette tranny. It was a beast - faster that a Cobra actually, because of the low weight. You're talking about a 1500# car with gobs of hp and torque!.
Girling and Lucas! I got so good at rebuilding brake and clutch cylinders I could do it in minutes. As someone said earlier, you really had to know how to do your own work to keep the Brit cars running.

John B
07-23-2008, 04:30 PM
I love MGA's too and I always monitor the MGB's, really undervalued to my mind.
But the coolest British car always was the E type to me , then the MGA. The Healys are nice but they were just so tragically eclipsed by the jag when it came out, that they looked old fashioned and out of date. They're parallel to the XK 120/ 140 to me, which are all cool but....

Captain Blight
07-23-2008, 05:11 PM
What did them in:

http://www.zcca.org/images/ZCars/1970_Orange_800pix.gif

John B
07-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Mine hasn't any rust that I've been able to find Norman, but yes , thats a major issue in areas that have salted roads/ high humidity I suppose. Its just a 40 yr old unrestored driver, nothing pretty but its still fun.
I had a pteradactyl like that in the '80's Blight . It was a pretty revolting metallic green colour but a really great fun car to drive with its neutral handling / weight distribution.It seemed so fast then ,but by todays standards they're actually not such a great performer.;).

paladin
07-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I owned a 56 healy before the first TR3, and a TR4 and the E type and another TR3....loved the TR3 just like the one pictured except I had a chromed luggage rack on the rear deck and gray leather installed....then a series of Caddy koop devilles, eldorado and the Vanden Plas sedan....
In my creaky old age the Buick regal is quieter then the jags, warmer/cooler more comfortable than all the others and my feet or head dunno get wet when it rains....

John B
07-23-2008, 07:20 PM
E type coupes are incredibly difficult to get in and out of .They're stinking hot in summer ,with really poor ventilation, but at least when you get out of them you smell of Eau de british, a special blend of oil fumes , old leather, slightly damp carpet and petroleum gas with a light and edgy bouquet of hot wiring loom lingering as an aftertaste.

Paul Pless
07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
you smell of Eau de british, a special blend of oil fumes , old leather, slightly damp carpet and petroleum gas with a light and edgy bouquet of hot wiring loom lingering as an aftertaste.you sir, are a true connoisseur...

UCanoe_2
07-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Boy, does this take me back. I never owned a British sports car, but my Scoutmaster's MGB was the first manual transmission car I ever drove.

His son had a TR-3. He made the deliveries for his Fuller Brush route with the top down, and brooms and mops leaning up against the roll bar.

John B
07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
The brakes are easy to upgrade too.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Waione_photos/misc%20o7/215_1523_2.jpg

Mrleft8
07-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Chad I told you..... There's an MGB in my driveway for free if you take it away..... It's got that Nissan 300zx (I think) motor in it too....

jack grebe
07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Chad, when are you goin to quit screwin around
and just go buy a diesel Benz:rolleyes::D

Mrleft8
07-23-2008, 08:30 PM
HUSH NOW JACK!!!!! I'm trying to get rid of this damned MG!!!! ;) :D

Paul Pless
07-23-2008, 08:38 PM
It's got that Nissan 300zx (I think) motor in it too....Is the motor an inline engine or a V6?

Mrleft8
07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Is the motor an inline engine or a V6?

I dunno..... It's an "under the hood" engine. I know my friend had to cut a hole in the hood and add a scoop to accomodate it.

jack grebe
07-23-2008, 08:48 PM
An MG with a Jap motor:eek:
You should be payin someone to take it:p

Mrleft8
07-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Better than an MG with a British Leylands motor and Lucas Electrics I'd bet! ;)

cs
07-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Now if it had a diesel in it we might be having to talk. ;)

All the 300D's seem to be in Knoxville. I keep thinking about getting one, but first and formost is saving money on my daily commute. I've I can't secure a source of WVO I need to get high mileage and the Benz wouldn't save me at this point in time.

But it is still up on my list. I'm kinda working us into getting one for either the wife or kid, but my fuel saver is priority.

Chad

Mrleft8
07-23-2008, 09:08 PM
I squeezed 43MPG out of the CRX this fill up..... And it's still a rocket!

cs
07-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I've seen very few of those for sale. The only one of note is this one. (http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/car/764547422.html) And it has over 350k on it.

Chad

pcford
07-23-2008, 09:16 PM
He made the deliveries for his Fuller Brush route with the top down, and brooms and mops leaning up against the roll bar.

MGBs make great trucks. I used to put 12 -14 ft. sticks down in the foot well and up over the roll bar and lash it down.

SchoonerRat
07-23-2008, 09:38 PM
All this talk of British sports cars. Don't forget this one!

http://homepage.mac.com/irvheller/wb/morgan.jpg

An old college sailing bud of mine collected them with is dad. Between them they had nearly a dozen. They even had an old 3 wheeler for a short time. Only time I've ever seen an auto frame infested with termites.

LeeG
07-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Chad, for $5500 there's a Hyundai out there with your name on it

Shang
07-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Well....
Here's the least expensive car I've ever owned...
...a Mercedes Benz 230 SL

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/shangboat/boat%20related%20stuff/bilge/230SLa.jpg

I bought it on a whim while the Mercedes 240-D I'd just bought for my wife's birthday present was being serviced (Yes, the advertising business did pay well), and I sold the 230 three years later for exactly the same bucks that I'd paid for it, while the resale price kept up with inflation and the price of gas---so for three years I'd driven for free.

............However...the advertising business isn't so great, reeely...
since by that time most of my associates were either divorced or in jail...

I'm much happier now with a Rav4 and a woman I love.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
07-24-2008, 12:48 AM
If you can find one, try an old VW van.

http://www.giftmonger.com/acatalog/vwSambaVan1-25scale_2.jpg

Captain Blight
07-24-2008, 02:50 AM
Or a fatchick (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=13).

I know you can get a Kubota Diesel to bolt up to the transaxle with an adapter plate and a custom cuff for the driveshaft and the input shaft.

Embrace the fatness. Be one with the fatness.

merlinron
07-24-2008, 07:22 PM
in my younger years, i owned a '68 mgb, a '72 mg midget, and a '61 mga. of the three the mga was my favorite and the most fun to drive by far. it handled better than the b and my mga had a bit of motor work done to it. ported and polished head w 1-3/4" SU's and of course, a header, lightened flywheel, polished, lightened and balanced bottom end and a club cam, IIRC, .425" lift and 272 deg. duration with 10.7 to 1 pistons, it was a blast, just short of a full race engine, yet fully driveable and dependable with a 7200 rpm. redline to boot!. the SU's were never a problem, you just have to know the right sequence of tuning and balancing procedures. most people have a hard time because they don't do the right thing at the right time during tune up and synchronization. it's actually a simple 10 minute job. using your ear and a tube to listen for the same hiss will work just as good as a unisyn guage (pic in above post), in fact i preffered the tube and ear over my unisyn.

Norman,
i pit crewed for the two Beck/Arnley B's that ran in the midwest council of SCCA back in the late seventies/ early eighties. one was midwest E-prod champ 7 yrs. running

jack grebe
07-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Or a fatchick (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=13).

I know you can get a Kubota Diesel to bolt up to the transaxle with an adapter plate and a custom cuff for the driveshaft and the input shaft.

Embrace the fatness. Be one with the fatness.

What kinda fuel mileage can be squeezed out of that Kubota/Ghia
combo??????

Patric
07-30-2008, 03:59 AM
A few years ago I got myself a '78 Triumph Spitfire which at the moment is my daily driver. Yes, it's fun to drive and esay to work on. The downside however is that it's in constant need of repairs, leaks, it's cramped and uncomfy on every kind of road but especially over speed bumps and cobble street. At one time I considered getting a Rover P5B but ended up with a Jensen Interceptor and that is a very fine car.
It initially needed a bit of attention as most old cars do and the milage isn't anything to write home about but for me it's vastly superior to an ordinary "E". Simply love that car!

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/7889/dartmoor28yl.jpg

pretty reliable too

cs
07-30-2008, 06:12 AM
A few years ago I got myself a '78 Triumph Spitfire which at the moment is my daily driver. Yes, it's fun to drive and esay to work on. The downside however is that it's in constant need of repairs, leaks, it's cramped and uncomfy on every kind of road but especially over speed bumps and cobble street. At one time I considered getting a Rover P5B but ended up with a Jensen Interceptor and that is a very fine car.
It initially needed a bit of attention as most old cars do and the milage isn't anything to write home about but for me it's vastly superior to an ordinary "E". Simply love that car!

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/7889/dartmoor28yl.jpg

pretty reliable too

Just had to highlight a few high points. :D

Chad

ishmael
07-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Chad,

If I were buying a B I'd hunt around for a '67. Pre heavy emissions, pre those ugly bumpers and the raised body to meet US crash standards. The interiors are a charming array of faux leather and toggle switches. They'd moved from the three main bearing to the five main bearing engine. Around that year are the best of the Bs IMHO.

Barring that, I'm pretty happy with this Toyota Corolla. I know, boring. But boring can be good. I know when I turn the key it will start and go. It tows 1500 lbs. and gets forty on the freeway. One note of caution. Around 2002 models there are questions over the motors. You may recall the dealership replaced mine, no charge. I found out, just recently, that there was a bad batch of motors in there. Soft bores, they hollowed out and burned oil. I don't know the details, serial numbers and such, but it was just one batch and I'm sure you could find it on the web.

Good luck.