PDA

View Full Version : built a new mast (no pics)

johngsandusky
07-18-2008, 09:02 AM
I built another mast for my dory. Used lumberyard 1x4 spruce and pl premium. Picked over the spruce, cut twice as many staves as needed. Made a test sample without clamps. The strengh of the pl premium amazed me. A 2' section with loose, sloppy joints will not break when jumped on by a 245lb man. Lots of drawknife and plane work made it somewhat round. I also used two of the extra peices to make a curved sprit boom. Stained them with deck stain (dries in 30 minutes). Test sail in light air was good. Now taking the boat to Cape Cod for a week.
I used 6 staves with a 30 degree bevel. Cut on a table saw. Wire ties for clamps.

Thorne
07-18-2008, 10:30 AM
I assume this is a birdsmouth mast? Very interested in how the PL Premium holds up to the flexing of the mast over time. I've used it in a lot of more static applications on my dory skiff, but not for critically stressed things like masts, centerboards, rudder blades, etc...for those I still use Smith's epoxy.

Did you dampen the wood before applying the PL Premium, or just squeeze it on from the tube?

johngsandusky
07-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Not birdsmouth, just angled edges, per Parker's New Cold-Molded Boatbuilding. The mast is a little overbuilt, and it will flex, but not much. I did a pushup on it between sawhorses, and it deflected a little. The dried glue seems a bit flexible, certainly not brittle. I just squeezed it right on dry to the wood Tested the cutoff from the 2 peice boom (1 3/4d) to destruction. It broke in wood, not glue-line.