PDA

View Full Version : Not a happy camper!

bamamick
07-17-2008, 11:48 PM
I missed too damn many fun things this year. They just completed the Dragon class Pacific Rim Interport in Vancouver last weekend, which I had been invited to sail in with the Aussies, even going so far as to make me an honorary member of the RNYS in Sydney, but that didn't happen. The Aussies and the folks from Hong Kong tied for first, by the way. And now I just got finished reading an article about the Finn Easterns in Shelburne, Vermont and how two good friends of mine finished in the racing there. NA's to begin tomorrow. Had plans to sail Dragons in the UK with a friend. Didn't happen. Didn't get to Cleveland. Didn't get to Toronto. Dang it.

My only out of town racing this year was in Muscle freakin' Shoals, Alabama (a nice place, but it suffers in comparison). All is not lost, though. I have regatta trips to New York and to Dallas planned, as of now. And hopefully I can make a couple more before the end of the year, but next year has to be better. Ah well. I am not really fussing. Just a little grumpy because the clock is fixing to roll over into my 50th. Looking back on what was supposed to be a very special year and wondering what the heck happened.

I'll get over it :).

Mickey Lake

Dr.Spoke
07-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Offers still there if you can find a ticket for the first week in August....
http://www.sskf.se/

But I sympathise... Moved business premises this spring... The boat feels neglected:(

bamamick
07-18-2008, 12:54 AM
Oh yeah, and then you have to come pile on! Thanks, Doc :).

Harry Levack and the guys from Port Huron and Sarnia on on their way over for the marvelous square metre events. I can not wait to see photos. A snapshot of what my own personal heaven looks like.

Mickey Lake - stuck here sailing this desk!

bamamick
07-18-2008, 09:55 PM
I got a note today that made me smile. I met this guy through Sailing Anarchy that was in the same used Finn market I was in when I was looking for the boat that I bought. This guy had called an asked about my boat from the former owner, and he contacted me through SA to find out if I knew of any other boats for sale. I asked him where he was located, and he said 'Mobile'! Come to find out he and his father keep a 30' cruiser/racer in a private marina about a mile from our yacht club, and he wanted to get into the Finn class.

About this same time one of my buddies makes a deal on a newer boat and wants to sell me his '96 Lemieux, but I had already committed to this boat in New York so I put these two guys together. Well, the kid bought the Lemieux (and of course I am a bit jealous since it is world's more competitive than what I bought), and he is also on track to join our club. So, in one swell foop our Finn fleet has a new member, my buddy was able to sell his boat, and our club very well might have a new member who wants to sail and race! I'd call that a good day's work.

According to our fleet secretary, including my boat which is 1300 miles from here right now, there are 15 boats in New Orleans, 10 in Mobile, 4 in Houston, and 4 in other parts of the Gulf Coast region. 33 Finns in this district where there were 4 four years ago. That's a pretty nice success story, imo.

Mickey Lake

Dr.Spoke
07-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Nice!
Almost makes up for missed opportunities.... I should shut up! You've a chance for a new friend there, certainly a good aquaintance. Too few of those in this life.... Definately a good days work