PDA

View Full Version : Status Check - 18 November

Ed Harrow
11-19-2001, 02:07 PM
Whew.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=461478&a=13655377&p=56553715

A week remarkable more for what didn't happen... screws that didn't come out (dispite applications of LH drillbits, easy outs, screw-grabber, etc. The extension ladder, cranked way out, didn't hit the power line or fall thru the cover when I dropped it, and it didn't break, nor did my arm or shoulder, LOL. So there you have the some total.

Well, not quite. When The Lurker and I put the plastic on, I ran out of the white reinforcing tape. That's why I was using the ladder, laying it on an arch and climbing the ladder up to the ridge to staple the plastic to the arch. Thanks go to Rick, who dropped everything to come over and help. Without his help I couldn't have gotten that job completed.

Matt J.
11-19-2001, 02:21 PM
Do be careful, Ed. Looks great.

I see you covered, loosely, the end of your mast... ours also sticks out the end of the shed. Do you worry about perhaps getting mildew / mold / rot under the plastic cover? Ours has been exposed to the elements since we've had it... I recently refinished the exposed end of the mast with varnish to give it solar and rain protection. I wonder if I've done enough? Or if you've done too much? ANyone else here got thoughts? Ours is sitka spruce box construction. Ed, is yours aluminum? That would make quite a difference.

ken mcclure
11-19-2001, 02:24 PM
Ok. That's it. I KNOW now that that bush is moving. Compare this picture with the one from the end of October, around 3 pictures ago.

I'm glad to see that you turned off the chair. I was worried about fire hazard there.

And Ed, I may - stress the 'may' - be up your way in a couple weeks ... we are supposed to do a training class in Salem, NH. I let you know if it makes up and if I can get away from here to do it.

nedL
11-19-2001, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the update Ed, I always enjoy them! Had you considered laying a length of rain gutter over the exposed end of the mast? That would keep the sun off it & allow for air movement under the plastic. Just nosey, meddling thought.

[This message has been edited by nedL (edited 11-20-2001).]

ken mcclure
11-20-2001, 01:02 PM
Nuts. The training class cancelled - only 2 signed up. Looks like it'll be posponed to spring.

Roger Stouff
11-20-2001, 01:48 PM
That is the BEST watchdog in the country, Ed. Always on duty!

Looks great.

RS

Ed Harrow
11-20-2001, 03:41 PM
Ned - I've been thinking of a couple of options, but a piece of rain gutter never entered my noggin. Seems like a good idea. The plastic is simply folded over the mast, and then stapled to a couple of pieces of strapping; I figured that would give enough ventilation. Now to see if I can scare up some gutter...

As to the dog - well he is pretty good a sitting and staying these days, but cared not a whit for eau de mole. Even Maggie the cat abandoned her station.

Concordia41
11-20-2001, 04:09 PM
I've noticed that if I want Sugar to catch anything more elusive than a nap in the sun that it's helpful to tie a freshly cooked pork chop to the quary's neck. LOL

BrianCunningham
11-20-2001, 04:22 PM
seriously, that dog ever pee??