PDA

View Full Version : "Sloop"

Ian McColgin
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Oddly, I picked up this book at the Hyannis Public Library, then walked across the street and go the current WoodenBoat with Mr. Payne's excellent review of Robb's book.

It is every bit as good as the review tells us - a must read even for the farther right among us. After all, the woodenboat community is nothing if not diverse.

One extremely sour note for me came near the end - page 277 - where out in Buzzards Bay Robb contemplates an approaching tug and barge on a converging course. He makes the correct decision to tack away - a good quarter mile off - but he ruminates on the sailboat having right of way.

Absolutely and dangerously untrue.

Rule 18(b) A sailing vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

(ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver.

Other than that, finastkind book.

essaunders
07-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Was the approaching tug and barge displaying the appropriate day signals indicating their status?

Bobcat
07-16-2008, 12:44 PM
My father in law, who has spent most of his 70 years at sea, told me in all seriousness,"Right of way is a matter of tonnage."

I worked with a tug boat skipper who told me stories of trying to avoid other boats that didn't understand how limited a tug and barge are in terms of maneuverability.

rbgarr
07-16-2008, 04:02 PM
I finished the book last night and thought it was very good.

Benchdog
07-16-2008, 04:10 PM
After reading that review in WB, I'm looking forward to reading this. It's on my list.

Ethan
07-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Ian, great minds think alike! I, too, really enjoyed the book, but that particular quip stuck out to me also.

Besides knowing the law, one always has to consider the price of "being right". Right doesn't do you too much good if you're treading water hoping to be picked up.

As said, very enjoyable book!

dpincus
07-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Dead wrong or dead right... still dead.

dp

Dave Davis
07-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Tug and tow may be restricted to the channel, where she'd be the stand on vessel; towing does not in itself make the tug and tow "restricted in ability to maneuver" per the COLREGS.

If so, they'd properly fly Ball/Diamond/Ball or Red over White over Red. See rule 27.

PatCassidy
07-17-2008, 08:02 PM
I can't get enough of Rule 2:

Responsibility

(a) Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner, master, or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case.

(b) In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger

In other words, exercise good seamanship. Key terms "oridnary practice of seamen" and "limitations of the vessels involved".