PDA

View Full Version : Teak Cruiser 1960 Kinley Shipyards Hong Kong

woodenapple
07-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi, We just found an 18 foot teak wood boat with the Kinley Engineerign Shipyard LTD of Hong Kong placard in it. Can't find any info on the company and would like some help. Also how rare is an old teak boat?
Larry

Lew Barrett
07-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi, We just found an 18 foot teak wood boat with the Kinley Engineerign Shipyard LTD of Hong Kong placard in it. Can't find any info on the company and would like some help. Also how rare is an old teak boat?
Larry

I don't know the yard either, but small boat builders abound. Someone will come along to enlighten us.

Now, as to the matter of rarity, and I assume, the unspoken connection between rarity and value. In boats, rarity is common, but value is usually not attributed based on scarcity alone. As with many things, rarity and value may have a relationship, but with wooden boats quality and to a much lesser extent, provenance, also bear on value. There may only be one Kinley 18 foot teak cruiser in the world, but it will probably (I stress probably, knowing little more) have no additional value beyond any other 18 foot boat in like condition.

That's more than you asked for, but hopefully of some value.

woodenapple
07-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks..we have a background in Antique furniture and know how the rarity/scarcity works. God BLess

rbgarr
07-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Boats in the Far East often were built of teak.