PDA

View Full Version : A sunday sail

John B
07-13-2008, 10:17 PM
One out of the box! Continuing miserable weather here over the weekends with breaks in the middle of the week seems to be the norm at the moment, but this weekend was miserable only from Friday night through to saturday night . bonus.
We jumped on the boat saturday late afternoon and motored down to Drunks bay in the drizzle, fanging it to get in before dark( which is about 5.30 here at the moment.) 8.6 knots sog with the 1 knot tide under us made it a prompt trip and made the new and improved patent perkins 85hp heater work a treat once we were settled. Heating courtesy two short lanyards which allow the engine box side panels to hang open 3 or 4 inches. Toasty. John B reinvention of the wheel there.:D Drunks or Islington bay is a bit of a cliche around here and we stay well away through summer owing to the numbers of big chickens, newbies and party animals who often anchor there, but 10 boats is all that was in there this night in the middle of winter.
Sunday morning was just glorious, calm , warm !( some north in the system) and a very light breeze.
We hanked on the new jib for its first try out. Slid it on anyway as the furler has a downloading slide system sort of like hanking on.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Waione_photos/Riada/100_1153_1.jpg
We sailed off the anchor in very little breeze and spent quite some time beating out of Drunks, but that was fine , playing around with the jib car and setting the lead for the sheets and after about 1/2 an hour or so a 10 knot breeze came in and built through 12 or 15 with perhaps some gusts of 17 or so later. Nice.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Waione_photos/Riada/100_1162_1.jpg

The sail performed well I thought and along with the main recut we've got a few more degrees closer to the wind and we're footing along well too. Powered up in about 16 or maybe 18 knots( if that), she's going fast and feeling gooood.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Waione_photos/Riada/100_1165_1.jpg

J. Dillon
07-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Good on ya John . Nice images .:D

JD

dhic001
07-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Good on you John, If I had a usable boat i'd have been out there too. With the weather the way its been, going to work during the week has been hard, getting on a boat has much more appeal.
Daniel

SchoonerRat
07-14-2008, 02:56 AM
Beautiful boat! Looks a lot like a Swan or a Baltic.

Did you sneak a piece of plastic into the forum here?;)

seanz
07-14-2008, 03:14 AM
I was sure John would have replied by now, he's probably having a coughing fit or something similar.......it's easier to find a description of Riada on the net than on the forum, so........
http://www.classicyacht.org.nz/infusions/vessel_register/vessel_register.php?detail_id=120

Normally I wouldn't presume to speak for another formite but he has two boats and is a very busy man.
:)

John B
07-14-2008, 04:16 AM
:D busy? with dinner.Thanks Sean.

No ,Riada is cold moulded but out of real wood SchoonerRat.

I'm really happy about the new jib and since I've had it over a week just pleased to get a sail with it. 50 miler 2 handed this week ,fingers crossed there's less than a gale warning.

Thad
07-14-2008, 05:48 AM
Whoop de do!

bamamick
07-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Good deal, John. A beautiful sky you had this weekend. Nice to know the sail is what you had hoped for, and of course, best of luck this weekend. Hope it gets off.

We have been in a very stormy pattern for the last couple of weeks. I don't think that I could have gone out if I had had the time off, but I am off work tomorrow for the first time in nine days and I might give the Megabyte a go in the morning.

Mickey Lake

John B
07-14-2008, 07:02 AM
You'll be taking some time off for the big day later in the week though won't you Mickey. 1958 eh, good year ... good year.:D

About time we had a woodenboatforum sail on Sea Harmony isn't it Thad. I'll be looking forward to it.( she's looking lovely as ever in the show threads)

sv Lorelei
07-14-2008, 07:10 AM
Further up the coast our weekend was pretty similar only Sat was just muggy and dead. No wind until afternoon when it was low tide and we coudln't get out. Sunday more than made up for it though. Clear and bright with a nice Southerly 10 to 15 with a few gusts higher. Had a nice sail out on Lorelei with another boat from our marina trying to catch up with us.

First real sail for our puppy too. She did wonderfully (no accidents). Made up for all the crap weather we've had so far this season!