PDA

View Full Version : how many boats do you want to build?

seafox
07-08-2008, 07:48 PM
hi
as I debate three different small boats I wondered how many boths other people want to build and how many do they eventually build?
thankyou
jeff

Steve Lansdowne
07-08-2008, 08:13 PM
You start with one. Likely you get hooked. You begin to plan #2 about halfway through #1, but you force yourself to finish #1 first. Part way through #2, you think about #3. There may well be no end in sight.

paladin
07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
When I was working on a big boat, I always had a little one for afternoon and weekend sails....

JimD
07-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I only want to build one more. That's it. Seriously.

sv Lorelei
07-08-2008, 08:25 PM
I only want to build one more. That's it. Seriously.

Exactly what I was thinking....and I've thought the same throughout the last six builds!

Captain Blight
07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
One for every possible situation!

JimD
07-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Exactly what I was thinking....and I've thought the same throughout the last six builds!

:D Yeah, but I really mean it. Honest. And its all up to Swmbo. We have agreed to a two year moratorium on new builds. Then she will decide if she wants a bigger boat for the two of us. If she does, wonderful! If she doesn't then I get to build my insane little one person mini/micro/pocket whatever-it-turns-out-to-be. I'm thinking that 12 foot aft cabin design we had so much fun with a couple weeks ago in the design section:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/BDSTaylor/CBee/slidinghouse2.jpg

almeyer
07-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I'd like to build one more boat than I've got.

StevenBauer
07-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Eleven.

James McMullen
07-08-2008, 11:37 PM
45 and counting so far. . .

Once I thought I'd be content to just catch up with my age so I'd only have to build one a year to keep up. But now that I've got a few stored ahead, I think I might start on a really big, multi-year project. . . .so let's see, I haven't built a barkentine, a side-wheel steamboat or a replica Egyptian papyrus raft yet. . . .

I know Bolger's got plans for the first two somewhere. . . .which just leaves the papyrus. . . . .

skuthorp
07-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Six or seven, some of which are part-built now. Two of the ones I own now I don't want but.....................you know, 'A boat on the water is worth a dozen in the plan drawer'.

L.W. Baxter
07-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Maybe, maybe one more, big enough for the getaway.

"Soons I git my boat built, I'm gonna drift on outta this territory..."

--Slim Pickens, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

Yeadon
07-09-2008, 02:17 AM
There's much to do ...

Robbie 2
07-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Finish the one I am working on at the moment.
I dream of building just one more though as my present build is an open day sailer I plan to learn to sail on and fish from.
The next if it ever happens will be a little larger with a small cabin capable of sleeping a least two.
Regards
Robbie

cs
07-09-2008, 06:23 AM
One of those questions where I can't see the forest for the trees. I hope to never quit building boats. Maybe one day I will get it right.

Chad

kenjamin
07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
I'd like to build all the boats that I already have plans for that I have not used yet — Dick Roberts' Saun Juan Dory 16, Jacques Mertens' Adelie 16, John Pruitt's No Frills 15, Iain Oughtred's 18' 3" John Dory, and especially Captain Short's Yangtze Pelican that's never been built in wood (and somebody needs to take Muriel Short for a ride in one). Also maybe a few dozen Down and Dirty Double Dories of my own design but inspired by the "instant" boats of Phil Bolger and Dynamite Payson.

andrewe
07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Built my sailing pram when I was 11. Couple of hiccups since, finished the Whilly Tern last year. Now on the Cape Henry 21, this will be the last. UNLESS someone asks me to do another. Or I fancy another design to sail into the sunset, or...... I still have plans for a Devlin gaffer, but not fond of too much goop. There is always one left to do. Actually I fancy a fast rowing skiff to help the waistline. So......
Andrew