PDA

View Full Version : LOOK AT WHAT I GOT!!!

Lowell Bernhardt
12-25-2002, 09:32 PM
My best friend has been on me for about 2 week now to come get my Christmas present. So SWMBO and myself go over on Christmas eve to get it. We walk out to the garage and he rips open the door, TADA!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid43/pcea4c31984d7e4df960df63a8e81200f/fce3e6cf.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid43/pa3c535c8c043af328ad89c85bcc090f6/fce3e6c7.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid43/p406a33b549e98997b714b0d33eb7f171/fce3e6cb.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid43/p344f36e61baabe385f3a0adbd05d16c1/fce3e6c4.jpg

Could it be?? :eek: Doth mine eyes decieve me?? :eek: But it IS!!! A BOAT AND YES IT IS MADE OF WOOD!!!! :D :D

I don't know anything about it, nor did he. The boat was hangin in his father in law's barn. He said it came with the house. Now I know it's not pretty yet ( but in it's own respect quietly beautiful all the same), and it does need some work, and I'm sure more will come as I look closer at it. (stringers, front frame, port out wall) And of course new canvas. About all I know about it right now is, that it's an old canvas kayak. LOA:12' BEAM: 34", and it used to be white and blue. (judging from the few scraps of canvas that are left hangin on it)

As usual here comes my plea for info. Does anyone know anything about this boat? I haven't seen a name plate or anything, but I haven't had the chance to look very closely at it yet either. Many hours of sitting and going over every inch of her will come shortly. Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject of canvas canoes/kayaks?

Thanks, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Lowell

PS: the junk filled garage in the photo is mine not my friends. More photos to follow.

mmd
12-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Looks like Klepper, but I don't know much about 'em so I could be wrong, as I have been so many times in the past. :rolleyes:

On Vacation
12-25-2002, 09:38 PM
Looks like a railbird skiff or hunting punt frame.

Mrleft8
12-25-2002, 10:54 PM
Looks like something that those guys found on the bottom of the Hudson river recently..... tongue.gif

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-25-2002, 10:59 PM
Nice lines.. :cool:

Dave Fleming
12-26-2002, 12:05 AM
an Icthio,,, or a Peradactyl or a Klepper or similar. If it starts moving when you are breathing on it, then it is definitely NOT a Klepper. :D

[ 12-26-2002, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Dave Fleming ]

ken mcclure
12-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Klepper?

Wynona Ryder could probably tell you more - hold on ... What? Oh. Ok. thanks. - Sorry. I'm confused with klepto.

Oh well, at least she can always take something for that.

Eric Sea Frog
12-26-2002, 11:34 AM
You might want to look up:

http://www.faltbootbasteln.de

and use the online translating devices available (Google, etc.)

That long coaming impresses me, along with the short LOA.

:eek:

Or, was it an old Russian baidarka? Taimien ?
Uh, that house they've found it in...does it have a vertical in lieu of horizontal planking? Da, meaning an isba, Gaspadin? In California? :D

Paul Scheuer
12-26-2002, 01:48 PM
To throw another name is into the mix. Folbot makes/made rigid, fabric covered boats in several styles, in addition to the folding versions. Cypres on plywood frames. They have a web site, and are located in the southeast, maybe (North Calolina ?). They sell parts and materials.

There also were several "Popular ---" magazine designs in the 50's.

One of my "free boats" is a Folbot 15 ft. "Sporty". Easy enough to repair/rehab, fun to use.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid18/pdd7b575f827d2782bfd4107d847cf319/fdd396c6.jpg

Lowell Bernhardt
12-26-2002, 10:13 PM
I don't think that it's a Klepper. The coaming isn't right for it to be that. My coaming is square both ends and the pics on the website Eric listed all the Klepper's are pointed at one end. Both the bow and stern decks don't seem to be upswept that much either. And it's too short. Most of them average about 15'. Sorry, I'm not trying to be disagreeable, I know I asked. I have been know to be wrong. I didn't see any pics on Eric's web site that looked like it either.

The search continues.
Lowell

capt jake
12-26-2002, 10:20 PM
Folbot makes/made rigid, fabric covered boats in several styles, in addition to ... You know, that picture that Lowell posted does look a lot like a Folbote! My step Father has one (it is great) and it resembles the structure posted. I have a habit of running my hands under, over, and around things to determine the structer.

I am giving my vote for the Folbote! It looks like it! smile.gif

Question; is it vinyle or canvas; though both could have been used in that time period.

[ 12-26-2002, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: capt jake ]

Lowell Bernhardt
12-26-2002, 10:24 PM
Cappin Jake,

Just got back from fol boats web site. I have to agree, but don't they only build folding boats? I'll email them tommorrow.

capt jake
12-26-2002, 10:38 PM
Now, that is all they do ( I think), but I know in the past they made ridgid boats of this nature. When I say 'they made' I mean they 'made' boats AND the plans for such.

My step dad's boat is a really neat cruiser! Looks just like the photos! smile.gif He built his in the 70's, I think.... I would have to call and find out. Oh, he bought it as a 'kit'. I don't know if that was less the lumber or not. Have to check.. smile.gif smile.gif

Paul Scheuer
12-26-2002, 11:49 PM
Lowell: I hope I didn't confuse the issue with the pic of the red & white Folbot, above. Someone might think that you did a marathon project over the holiday. That is a 15-foot Folbot Rigid Sporty. Built from a kit. Vinyl covered. From the 60's, I think. The cockpit frame has a narrow square end, forward. The coaming steps up over the frame, and forms the peak that you see.

The kit came with all plywood frames and stems cut, cypress stringers, vinyl rough cut (two layers), the bow fitting, a nameplate, stern fitting (with provisions for a rudder), and a "how-to" book.

By the time I got the partially finished kit, the gunnel guards and cockpit coaming were missing. I ordered the "C" shaped gunnel guard material from FolBot, and made the maple coaming. There was a corner cap fitting, intended to cover a rough connection of the coaming pieces. It didn't fit as well as I wanted, so I left it off and mitered the coaming and fit a "breasthook". I created the flared, splash board coaming, and the fitting had vertical sides (ugh).

If you think that what you've got is a FolBot, I'll dig up the book, and I may have some closer pics.

Merry free-boat Christmas -

capt jake
12-27-2002, 12:01 AM
Well, I am still waiting to hear from my step dad; but the frame shown sure looks like his folbote! Patience.....

"OK, we looked at the link. Agree it COULD be a Folbot. Ours is 16', covered with a naughahyde (sp?), seats 2, and has 1 piece of 1/2" plywood that sets on top of the ribs in the seating area (ribs go around the width of the boat? - rather than the length of the boat.) Also, the edge between the top and the bottom sides are covered with half-round PVC-type pipe which we think would still be there on the skeleton. Also the brass nose piece should be there - unless it was removed.

We had the plans - until we moved."

The above is a qute from me mum! Maybe it will help? I did not edit her post in an effort to help here!! smile.gif :D smile.gif

Hopefully this helps? It sounds like it is not a Folbote? Not sure, maybe a knock-off??

Oops, maybe Folbote is a knock-off of this design??
Sorry about that! Many possibilities!

[ 12-27-2002, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: capt jake ]

nedL
12-27-2002, 12:47 AM
Great little kayak Lowell! It looks like an 'easy fix' with a bit of work & will be lots of fun when you are done. I will have to say it may be impossible to determine the builder as there have probably been more than a few hundred 'companies' that built wood & canvass kayaks over the past 75 years or so. Back in the mid 1970's my dad & I built one from a kit that was marketed by a hardware store in Allentown NJ, & advertised in the back of "Popular Mechanics" magazine. I also picked one up at our town dump about 5 years ago & put it back together for my daughter.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid11/p6c3dd88d0d6168ed9d8109416993ff11/fe126895.jpg
This is what I started with from our 'dump', (after stripping off what was left of the canvas & the rot). http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid11/p7913468e055bedda58459b6b2da3301a/fe126879.jpg
This is it finished (except for coamings).
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid44/pc89c034815ec02ce682ac2ed9478675d/fce20a70.jpg
On the right is the one that my dad & I built almost 40 years ago.
Have fun with it!! smile.gif

[ 12-27-2002, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: nedL ]

Todd Bradshaw
12-27-2002, 01:25 AM
It's not a Klepper. Folbot is a good possibility. The majority of their boats didn't fold. They even made some rigid fiberglass doubles. If I had to guess, I probably go with the Folbot "Glider" model (if I remember correctly). I believe it was fairly close to those dimensions.

Gary Bergman
12-27-2002, 02:07 AM
A little canvas and some O.D. paint, and the ducks will never know what hit 'em.....

Mike Field
12-27-2002, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Lowell Bernhardt:
Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject of canvas canoes/kayaks?Canoes and Canoeing, by Percy Blandford (the Kanvas Kayak King.)

Long out of print, but still available second-hand.

Eric Sea Frog
12-27-2002, 06:15 PM
Funny, saw one yesterday in a 1953 movie.
A guy paddles in it, clap! suddenly the kayak folds in two, trapping the paddler inside, ha-ha, like a fly in a carnivorous flower.
Exactly the same coaming shape.

Lowell Bernhardt
12-27-2002, 06:46 PM
Thanks Eric, I think. ;)

Bruce Taylor
12-28-2002, 08:16 AM
Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject of canvas canoes/kayaks?The book you need is _Building Skin-on-Frame Boats_, by Robert Morris (Raincoast, 2001). It's in print, in paperback and easily available. Wonderful book--a real labour of love.

Charlie J
12-28-2002, 06:03 PM
Todd- I'd have to agree on the Folbot "Glider". Friend of mine had one. The square cockpit ends are right, and the fore and aft decks look right too.

Somewhere I have a pic of his boat with his daughter standing out almost to the bow while we paddled down the St Mary's river in Ga. I had a folding Super- 17 1/2 feet.

Folbot made them as plans, kits or completed folding models way back when.

nedL
07-11-2003, 07:16 AM
Lowell: Any update on "Kindling"?

[ 07-11-2003, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: nedL ]

Bruce Hooke
07-11-2003, 10:39 AM
It does also look a lot like a kayak that a friend of mine built from one of those magazine articles back in the 50's. One thing to do would be to look at it carefully and see if it looks like the parts were cut and assembled at a factory, from a kit, or all at home. I know my friend's kayak has various little blocks and filler pieces that make it pretty clear that it was build at home by someone who was not a great woodworker. So, a careful inspection may yields some clues to the origin or your boat: are their touches and details that would be unlikely on a factory produced boat? Does it look like certain parts were simplified or designed in ways that would make it easy for the boat to be built as a kit, or are there things that would be hard to do as a kit?