PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this car?

cs
07-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Found another car that I might look into. It is not a diesel, but it seems to be a good deal. Of course I will need to look at it before going further.

It is a 1997 VW Jetta with 109,000 miles on it. It has a broken headlight in which I will need to look and see just how much damage is done there. Otherwise the car looks pretty clean and he claims 32 mpg highway.

http://images.craigslist.org/01150301020301040320080630224a066e50a74479680015b3 .jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/011504010201010402200806305e021de338ababd1fc00b21e .jpg

1997 VW Jetta (http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/car/737936426.html)

A few things makes this car appelling. One is the price. A '97 Jetta in fair condition with 109k miles should run about $2,800 as per the Kelly Blue Book Value and he wants only $1200 for this. But that makes you wonder what else is wrong, thus a good checking out.

Another thing is that other than the front bumper this car looks clean and it fits right into my needs.

Of course it isn't a diesel, but it is more efficiant than my existing car and as a plus it is a straight shift (I really hate automatics). I'm thinking that maybe this car might be worth the effort. I can get this one and drive while continuing to look for a diesel. I can pass my Tarus on to my daughter (just put two new rear tires on last night, busted belt) and she can drive it till the transmission goes out. At that time maybe I will have found me a diesel and I can pass the Jetta on to her or the wife. She drives a 4 cylindar Rodeo that does just okay on gas.

So I will probably go look at this thing today.

Chad

Tylerdurden
07-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Not a big fan of high millage VW's. Have you though about simple like 2wd Toyota PU or maybe a Ford Ranger?

Popeye
07-02-2008, 07:51 AM
check for leaky struts , seized brake calipers , leaky top oil pan and rust on trunk lid (rhs by the tail light)

engine / trans is usually good , lots of chasis / brake problems in those , other niggly things , too many to mention

cs
07-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the places to look Popeye. I wil look into those areas as welll as some others that I always check.

Mark, at one point I thought about a small truck, but really kinda ruled it out. I already have a truck for my hauling needs. My day to day needs a car that can haul 3 or more comfortably is a better fit..

Chad

Popeye
07-02-2008, 08:08 AM
you get the idea

another simple thing to try is push sideways on the quarter panel , might find trailer arm bearing(s) (almost) always worn out , 'bout 20 bucks for the part but will need special tool to get them replaced , iow vw mechanic

Tylerdurden
07-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Chevy Cavileirs, Yeah they suck but parts are cheap and plentiful and the economy is good. Keep it simple. My Oldest got a 97 to start college. Drove it for four years with minor maintenance. She pooped the tranny (auto) and I rebuilt it. My middle daughter is pounding it so far with no issues.

Keep it simple with a big abundance of junkyard parts if you are buying that old a vehicle.

Mrleft8
07-02-2008, 08:15 AM
A friend owned a '97 Jetta. A real dog. Broke down constantly.

Popeye
07-02-2008, 08:16 AM
something to be said for the ubiquitous chevy sh1t box

The Bigfella
07-02-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm about to make a trailing arm bush tool to do the rear suspension bushes on one of the bimmers. Not hard to do. I just did the front bushes.

Tylerdurden
07-02-2008, 08:18 AM
something to be said for the ubiquitous chevy sh1t box

Yeah they produced enough of them to spread the smear thin and wide.:D

Tar Devil
07-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Chad, check the price for replacement parts like struts, A/C compressors and alternators... even from a salvage yard. That's the main thing steering me away from VWs.

High C
07-02-2008, 08:37 AM
I own a VW, a 2004 Golf diesel, love it, best car I ever owned. But I wouldn't buy a VW of any older generation than mine. Too many disaster stories. Those were VWs dark days.

Popeye
07-02-2008, 08:44 AM
yup , vw cheaped out on too much stuff and quality is lacking in an otherwise good car , body fit is top notch , solid build , engine and trans are worthy

exhaust work every other year unless you find oem parts, the good news is there are lots of easy fixes for the common problems , bad news is $$$ for parts

Tar Devil
07-02-2008, 08:49 AM
bad news is $$$ for parts

That's what I'm talking about!

Popeye
07-02-2008, 08:51 AM
you got to find a real good vw guy and make nicey nice

i found one , i think i put his kids thru college

gave up on vw long ago , but we're still buds

cs
07-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Just read through 86 reviews on the '97 Jetta and the conclussion I've come to is you either love or hate.

Most all of the reviewers were more than pleased with power, handleing and called the car "fun to drive".

Most complaints were about power window motors going bad and door moulding falling off and the electrical system. There were some about door locks and alarms. I saw one or two complain about timing belts at around 100k, but that is common to most any car. Saw one or two complants on transmission failures.

Some folks talked about having to spend a bunch of money on small repairs while others had no problems.

Chad

Popeye
07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
drive it chad , check for 'buzzy' , 'notchy' feel in the shifter , 'banging' noise in the rear suspension any 'pop-back' when you let off the accelerator , holds a straight line ok ..

don't tell anyone , but you can retorque the subframe bolts and instantly have a much better car

cs
07-02-2008, 09:18 AM
I plan on driving it. Waiting on an e-mail response from the owner.

One thing that I see is everyone, even those that hate it, say that it is fun to drive. I'm reading some more reviews and the side molding is an issue and nobody likes the cup holders.

The biggest drawback seems to be the price of spares.

Chad

Popeye
07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
One thing that I see is everyone, even those that hate it, say that it is fun to drive. I'm reading some more reviews and the side molding is an issue and nobody likes the cup holders.

the car is much better than those cheesy steel wheels and so-so tires would lead you to believe

small sh1t aplenty , frozen door locks , radio pooped out , broken window cranks etc etc

cs
07-02-2008, 09:26 AM
One review I read said that the pro's were that it was a Volkswagon and that the cons' were that it was a Volkswagon.

It seems, like you suggest, that the car is a good car, but they attached all this cheap crap to a good car and the cheap crap is a PIA and expensive.

Chad

Popeye
07-02-2008, 09:31 AM
some say the cars built in germany do a bit better

mine were all built (assembled) in mexico

boylesboats
07-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Chad,
Other than all that checklist mentioned above... If you feel like getting dirty, start pulling sparkplug one-a-time and examed the tips.. it'll tell the whole story.. If the plug looked too clean, pull another one till you get a tattle-tale plug... if it looked fouled with carbon, or wet with oil or coolant.. then you should looked else where..
Owner may kept outside of car clean, but never minded the engine needs..

cs
07-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Okay the car drove and ran good. The transmission felt good and the engine was smooth. It did however have a problem at idle. When driving and coming to a stop sign it would die, at least for the first bit. I suspect something along the lines of a low idle sensor or it could need a general tune up and new fuel. He said the fuel in there had been in it a while being as he don't drive it anymore. The ignition switch might have to be repleaced in the future, have to apply a little inward pressure sometimes to get it to work.

The A/C blew but it wasn't that cold, may need to be recharged.

The interior was free of rips and tears. I did however see one or two cigeratte holes in the back seat. Also the glove box was off and needs a new lock, but looking in the car it is not that obvious. The trunk is big enough to fit 2 maybe 3 dead bodies. The car needs a new radio, but the speakers are there and working (according to him).

The front grill needs to be repleace, but hey how is that any different than the rear bumper on my car? It also needs a left front headlight.

The right control arm is bent and would need to be releaced. He said that he had priced this before at a couple of hundred dollars. The bent conrtol arm has caused the tire to wear badly. He had said he didn't have the money to fix it and thus wore out the tires.

With the car having 109K miles on it it is proabably due a timing belt and I would want to repleace that fairly quickly. Smitty said he could do that for a couple of hundered dollars if I didn't do it myself.

The kid used to be in the Navy and was in Texas and that is where the car is titled. He is getting ready to get married and that is why he says he is selling the car (to raise money for the honeymoon). We talked a little about price and he is willing to negotiate. Asking price is $1200 and he has already offered to go as low as $800 or $900.

Short list:

Radio = $100
Timing belt = $200
Control arm = $200
New tires = $400
A/C recharge = $50

Estimates only total = $750 + $800 for the car = $1550

Chad

Popeye
07-02-2008, 02:08 PM
minor stuff , anticipate a new clutch, throwout bearing (pilot bushing however you want to say it) and 4 wheel alignment too

fixing the idle is easy

cs
07-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah it all appears to be minor stuff, but minor stuff adds up to, well you see my estimated totals. So I don't know. I will rest on my thoughts a bit and just see. Not going to rush into anything and he has my card if he wants to bargan any more.

In the meantime the wife and I will discuss it. Don't need another project car, just cheap dependable transportation that is good on gas.

Chad

bob winter
07-02-2008, 03:05 PM
What engine does the car have? My son has one that is bit newer and he complains constantly about gas consumption and the cost. Of course, he has the six and it needs high octane.

I should note that he has had problems pretty much since the time he picked it up.

cs
07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
It is the 2.0 4 cyl. I've noticted that their are 2 camps, those that have problems and those that don't. It appears that most of the problems are minor stuff that can run into expensive.

Chad

Gary E
07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
My opinion that is Waaaaaaaaaay to much to spend fixing someone elses's junker...

In TX.. a car MUST pass a STATE INSPECTION, I think before it is sold... Now I think I know why he's selling this out of state...

why dont you look for a good low mile 2 or 3 yr old without all the repairs needed?

cs
07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Gary it is a balanceing act here. I'm not going to finanance a car, no way no how, I will be paying COB (Cash On the Barrelhead). So I have to balance between age and dependability. Hopefullly I will find the right mix.

I tend to agree about the amount needed to spend on that car, but if he gets his heart right and calls me with a lower price, well maybe.

Chad

bob winter
07-02-2008, 03:13 PM
The kid has had a lot of problems with the various warning lights. The check engine light came on the day after he picked it up. They have all turned out to faulty sensors but you can't be sure if it is a real problem or not until you have taken it to the shop. He has also had troubles with the power windows and various other electricals, especially the left rear signal light bulb that keeps burning out for some unknown reason. He paid for the top of the line radio and now it is crapping out and he recently had some pretty serious transmission problems which were covered under the warranty. The warranty has now expired so he is nervious.

The only positive thing that I can say about the car is that it handles well and is a pleasure to drive.

cs
07-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Electrical is one of the biggest cons I've read about so far with these cars. This one has manual windows, so that is a plus.

Everyone says these cars are fun to drive. I didn't drive it Grand Pix style, just enough to get a feel for it.

Chad

High C
07-02-2008, 03:49 PM
...He has also had troubles with the power windows and various other electricals, especially the left rear signal light bulb that keeps burning out for some unknown reason. ..

I'm about to go outside and replace, for the third time in four years, the left rear signal light bulb in my 2004 Golf. I kid you not! :eek:

Gary E
07-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Chad
since your funds are limited try this...

Many people trade in cars that the dealer has paid 1500 or 2000 for.. then they do one of 2 or 3 things with it...
...clean it up and sell on the used lot for 4000
...wholesale it to a used only dealer for what they pay for it
...cant thiink of the others

But here's the idea.. You go to the new car dealers and ask for the man who would handle that area of the biz... Make a deal with him, when he gets something that you want in trade, he calls you and you buy it without so much as the dealer sweeping out the floormats...You get a car that is better than the ones your looking at now for what your going to end up spending anyway and the dealer gets rid of the car in one phonecall...

cs
07-02-2008, 04:50 PM
You know that is actually a good thought. I could contact the VW dealer and talk to them about something like that.

Chad

Captain Blight
07-02-2008, 05:59 PM
You CAN. NOT. go wrong with an e30 BMW. Stone reliable, silly-quick, great handling, 32 MPH hwy, easy to work on, parts aren't any more expensive than the Jetta and they're just as available. Comfy and great handling, too; generally fairly well cared for. Market on them is right around 2000 bux.

Get one from '89-'91 for the Bosch Motronic pre-OBD I fuel injection.

Popeye
07-03-2008, 06:56 AM
It is the 2.0 4 cyl.

are you sure ?

cs
07-03-2008, 07:07 AM
It said 2.0 on the valve cover and that is one of the options for a 97 Jetta, so yeah I'm pretty sure.

Chad

Popeye
07-03-2008, 07:11 AM
ok , it's a jetta gl..

Tar Devil
07-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Chad, any reason you're set on a VW? I had one since my old Beetle days and though it was good (not great) on gas, it was prohibitively expensive on parts.

If I wanted cheap/dependable/good on gas and fun to drive, I'd start looking for an early to mid 90's Mazda 323/Protoge/GLC.

Popeye
07-03-2008, 07:40 AM
tough to find a good beater for under 2k , vw is a maybe

mazda is the japanese ford

cs
07-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Phil it is not that I specificly want a VW, what I want is a small fuel efficiant diesel, By default that seems to be VW.

Chad

cs
07-03-2008, 08:24 AM
tough to find a good beater for under 2k , vw is a maybe

mazda is the japanese ford

They can be had for less than 2k, you just have to be patiant and get a little lucky. The Tarus I drive cost me $1200.

Chad

Popeye
07-03-2008, 08:39 AM
agree , no doubt good cars can be found , but as others point out , the vw reputation while once ok has been spotty of late

i guess its about patience and ways to increase your odds , finding a car owned by a mechanical nin-com-poop is a good bet , they may not know precisely what the problems are and end up devaluing the car for you over something which can be a relatively minor fix

last vw i had was a 93 jetta , paid 17k for it right out of the showroom , got ten years out of it and it fetched nearly 5k on a trade , the car was well maintained and got exceptionally good gas mileage , the engine with 160,000kms ran like a top when i sold it , it was a good one , i have seen these units go over 300k with no major rebuilds

bamamick
07-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Drive it around. You should easily be able to tell if it is worth $1200.

I have a 1999 VW GTI (gasoline engine). It's got 142,000 on it right now and I have spent next to nothing on maintenance, even though it was two of my kid's high school car. Now I drive it 50 miles one way to work. All in all I wouldn't say that it was a nice car, but as long as it keeps going I will keep driving it. When the VW finally dies or keeping it going becomes too much of a pain I will go find the car with the best gas mileage I can find, with a cd player and an air conditioner. Doesn't matter to me what make it is.

I believe that both Hyundai and Kia have 100,000 mile warranties on their new cars, but if you're looking for something less than $2000 you're just going to have to use your best judgement and take a leap of faith.

Mickey Lake

cs
07-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I did see a car the other day that was nice and a nice price. It was a newer model black 300 Benz Diesel with only 95k on the clock. It is sitting on a car lot right around the corner from the office. He wants $4,000 on it so I'm sure that price is negotiable, but a lot of time used car lots will deal down and than add a handling fee to get it back up there. The only bad thing is seemed about this car was that it was an automatic.

Maybe by the end of next week my car budge will change for the better and something like that Benz might fit into it.

Chad

Tylerdurden
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Good luck with the foreign ****e. Parts will be harder and harder to come by as the economy slows down.
My first priority would be to find something that there are so many of the auto salvers will have plenty of spares for a while and aftermarket parts are plentiful.

Gary E
07-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I did see a car the other day that was nice and a nice price. It was a newer model black 300 Benz Diesel with only 95k on the clock. It is sitting on a car lot right around the corner from the office. He wants $4,000 on it so I'm sure that price is negotiable, but a lot of time used car lots will deal down and than add a handling fee to get it back up there. The only bad thing is seemed about this car was that it was an automatic.

Maybe by the end of next week my car budge will change for the better and something like that Benz might fit into it.

Chad

Walk in there with 35 Ben Franklins and tell him This is TOTAL payment... fees, etc andTax included

worst he says is no...

remember... CASH talks... BS walks

cs
07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Hadn't thought about the shadows or sundances, but I have my eye on anything. And Gary I'm sure I could walk in with 3500 and probably walk out with it. I'm still needing to call the VW dealer with the suggestion you had.

Chad

Gary E
07-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Hadn't thought about the shadows or sundances, but I have my eye on anything. And Gary I'm sure I could walk in with 3500 and probably walk out with it. I'm still needing to call the VW dealer with the suggestion you had.

Chad

Chad,
I'm no fan of any import but if your dead set on a Diesel... the Benz IS THE BEST BET TO LAST a LONG TIME..
As for those who say "fun to drive" and like cockamayme BS... forgit it...driving is moving from point A to B... nothing more... You want dependability?.. MB has that to all over any vw product.

Go get it, you and your family will drive in a SAFE durable car for a long time... even though they have all the style of a Bar of Soap...

ohh.. and if it's not the color you wanted?... MAACO

Did ya know the fellow that started Maaco is the same one that started AAMCO Transmission Repair?..

cs
07-03-2008, 01:04 PM
The Benz is tempting and I'm sure he will come off the price. I'm waiting till next week to see how my car budget changes. The color is not important and I think I have grown out of the need to be styling and profiling, I drive a beat up Tarus, what do you think. ;)

I had just walked around that Benz and really the biggest drawback at first glance was the automatic transmission. I'm tryng my best to get away from those.

I'm not "dead" set on diesel, but I do think that is the answer (at least for now), that is why I'm looking for one so hard.

Chad

Popeye
07-03-2008, 01:20 PM
.. and you thought vw parts were expensive

hoooo boy

Captain Blight
07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Benz Diesel is the standard taxicab throughout a lot of the Middle East. You'll see 'em with the third or fourth set of upholstery covers, kinda dinged up, maybe a little clattery and smoky but they will run and run and run. Half a million miles is not at all out of the question.

Hey, GaryE and I agree on something! now the healing may begin.

Rigadog
07-03-2008, 05:37 PM
A friend of mine had a Jetta. It was blue. A tree fell on it. Another friend got a Toyota, both he and the car are still running. So I'd have to say from my limited experience (secondhand), Japanese cars are less trouble.

cs
07-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Every now and than you will find a keeper on Craigs List.

1930 Model A (http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/car/742034356.html)

http://images.craigslist.org/01010801020401041220080703de6599fefe1a0d68cb00dbd9 .jpg

Chad

Captain Blight
07-03-2008, 09:30 PM
What Not To Drive (http://www.jalopnik.com)

Henning 4148
07-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Independent of manufacturer, small quality cars regularly will see the 100 kmiles but rarely the 200 kmiles. Call it design life, but a lot of things tend to wear out between 100 k and 200 k and eventually, it makes it uneconomical to keep them. The one you are looking at has significant repair and maintenance backlog and there is more to come.

With a 300D, 200 kmiles is not at all unusual. Although there will be repairs, they should have a better relation to the value of the car.

This doesn't mean, that the Merc will be cheaper long term, but chances are, you will have it much longer.

Does the Merc have a mechanism that bridges the hydraulic converter? If yes, it's mpg should be somewhat similar to the VW.

Popeye
07-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Does the Merc have a mechanism that bridges the hydraulic converter? lock-up torque converter?

Gary E
07-04-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm gettin sorta old to remember exactly when, but I know my 1980 Olds Diesel had a locking torque converter... that's a long time ago and I imagine they were not the only cars that used it...

The 92 Buick Roadmaaster I now drive has one that engages at 42 mph. At that time the engine rpm drops to a little under 900RPM... at 60 mph the engine is turning 1400 RPM... gitting pretty good gas milage...

Popeye
07-04-2008, 09:19 AM
if you wanted to spend a few dollars and tune a 90's style honda civic , you would get better than diesel mileage

the part$ aren't that bad either

Mrleft8
07-04-2008, 09:22 AM
That MGB is still in my yard and looking for a nice home too Chad....

cs
07-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Lefty I would love to have a MGB just for fun. I've owned 2 of them in the past and loved both of them. Wouldn't want to depend on it to be a daily commuter, but fun.

Chad

Mrleft8
07-04-2008, 09:36 AM
And this one has a Nissan 280Z engine.....:D

Paul Pless
07-04-2008, 09:45 AM
And this one has a Nissan 280Z engine.....:D
Okay let's hear more about this misadventure. I'm always interested in MG's with unusual motor swaps.

Mrleft8
07-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Got me Paul.... A friend did it. I have it because he lives in NYC, and was keeping it at his parent's house. They got tired of walking around it everyday, so he asked if he could store it here for a few months...... 3 years ago....

jack grebe
07-05-2008, 03:34 PM
It is not a diesel
Nuff said.

Fuel prices show no signs of abating, with a diesel, there is always
something you can put in the tank to make it
go down the road.
I have personally powered my (ex)car with:
used motor oil
veggie oil
WVO
mineral oil
fuel oil aka home heating oil
trans fluid
gasoline....yes, MB recommends thining with gas up to like 30% in winter
citronello oil
kero
jet fuel
2 cycle oil
and there is probably a few I left out:rolleyes:.

bottom line is, if it will combust under pressure, you can
run an old diesel engine on it.

Now I know you live in TN. and all, but I don't see
those hillbilly selling "still" products for fuel in your gas job.

pipefitter
07-06-2008, 01:26 AM
I bought a 95 Saturn SL2 twin cam that came with a new clutch and new CAT and sensors for $900.

It gets about 28-35 mpg and you can put 2 of those 12" truck box speakers side by side behind the rear folding seat, 4-6" door speakers, 2 amps, and tint the windows so nobody can see you and have a nice ride. When you park it, you can fold the rear seat up and hide your goodies from the thugs. I am giving it to my son for his 16th birthday. He's not proud.
It's one of those cars you just know is going to start when you turn the key.

I've been fortunate with cars. I have never bought a lemon. I can't see me buying a new car when there is so many good ones used. Even the old Bronco with all the crazy exotic stuff I have on that has been a good vehicle each of it's 2 lives. I have always gone for factory replacement parts at the higher cost for things such as alternators, starters and such and they will last the rest of the time I have it. And it is true that the ugliest ones always last the longest.
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/how-saturn-works-1991_sl2.jpg

They don't look half bad spruced up a bit.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/609000-609999/609182_85_full.jpg

jack grebe
07-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Maybe this car:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=225906

and no, it is not mine:o.

bamamick
07-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Looks like he's already got a buyer. Nice looking car for the money. Did he say it already had 200K on it?

I had a friend with an old Mercedes diesel like that one. It was so slow to accelerate that you couldn't pull out into traffic on the interstate with it.

Mickey Lake

cs
07-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Okay just a few quick things. First the one thing I'm looking for is higher MPG and that is the only thing that the M/B does not deliever. It has everything else I want, but in the end I would end up paying about the same weekly for fuel unless I'm able to score alteranate fuel. But I'm still considering a M/B if I can find one for the right price. I think that it would make an excellent vehicle for the family.

Here is one that came up Friday night late and I haven't been able to get a hold of the guy. Last time I called he didn't answer. His description needs more detail but his price is doable after a little bit negotiation. One of the things I wonder about is that he says it is perfect for bio diesel at $2.49/gal. One of my questions is where is he getting bio at?

1987 M/B (http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/car/742958224.html)

http://images.craigslist.org/010201010412010305200807048dd3aa495b9d0b92e9002bbe .jpg

Gary, I went by the VW dealer yesterday and talked them about buying a VW diesel that came in on a trade before it went to the clean up shop or the wholesaler. He told me he wished he had 30 diesels. Nobody seems to be trading them in and when they do get one people are almost fighting to get them. Most are looking for higher priced used vehicles and not a cheaper on like I am. He took my name and number and will keep me in mind.

Chad

High C
07-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Looks like this one is self bailing! :D

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/vas03/300cdflorida/05.jpg

coelacanth2
07-06-2008, 09:57 PM
A good friend of mine picked up two of the late 80's vintage 300 series Benz diesels for his kids to drive while they were in school. Dana is too clever by half - his reasoning was that
They are built like tanks
Good Brakes
Decent handling
good reliability and longevity
decent economy
BOG SLOW
His kids hated them - the Slug and the Snail, a sedan and a wagon. But what kid can turn down a Benz to drive to high school in? I think they were about 2600 or 2800 each in Washington DC area. His son went to Univ of Arizona a few years later. When Dana really wanted to control him, he sent the kid out there with the Suburban. The really big Suburban with the 4wd and the 454:eek: and JUST enough money to make it out there from Maryland. The kid got just enough allowance to drive to necessary things, not enough to go hunting, fishing or goofing off to the fleshpots of California:D
Too clever by half.

bamamick
07-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Chad, I bought biodiesel in Lebanon, New Hampshire when I went up to visit Noah. Same price as regular diesel. Same pump, same price, two different buttons to push. I have driven the length of the eastern part of the US three times in a year and have yet to pull into a station featuring biodiesel, except for that one in New Hampshire.

I was reading Mother Earth News yesterday (the wife is thinking about a vegetable plot and I know nothing of such things) and there is an article on making your own in this month's edition. Check it out. I just skimmed it, but it seems that you can dilute regular diesel with recycled vegatable oil with no problem?

Mickey Lake

cs
07-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Mickey you can either mix WVO with diesel or do as Jack does and run just straight WVO. I plan on looking into trying to make my diesel from WVO. The disadvantage (from what I've read) off running straight WVO is you have to start up and shut down on regular diesel (two tanks). With bio diesel you don't have to do this.

Bio is straightforward on how to make it.

First step is to find the right combination of MPG and diesel and price.

Chad

posted from Krystal in Sevierville on the way to Greeneville

cs
07-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Here is another potential

1980 Benz (http://knoxville.craigslist.org/car/749381576.html)

http://images.kodakgallery.com/servlet/Images/photos4997/3/27/36/61/22/3/322613627306_0_BG.jpg?a=55

The back seat looks a little rough.

[img[http://images.kodakgallery.com/servlet/Images/photos4997/3/27/46/60/39/3/339604627306_0_BG.jpg?a=55[/img]

Say the clock stopped at 216k.

Chad