PDA

View Full Version : Letters

ishmael
06-25-2008, 04:38 PM
I know I've told this before, but maybe I'll tell it better this time.

When we cleaned my mother's house out there was this box of letters. It had to be a thousand letters, each of them numbered. Between my father, his mother, his wife's mother and June, his wife.

It wasn't huge stuff. He was off at war and bored most of the time yet at least three times a week he dropped a line. Simple love letters that are so sweet to read. They really did number them!

Spin_Drift
06-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Definitely keepsakes. It's your family history...

Take good care of them... :)

ishmael
06-25-2008, 09:09 PM
They are written on very light onion skin foolscap, the sort of paper that we used to use for airmail. People over forty will remember what I'm talking about. The Navy had to schlep these around, after all.:) I think the US Navy limited them to three pages.

There are a few redactions, the censor finding a bit of sensitive information that we wouldn't want captured and read by the enemy. Bill was an LT on an LST fairly late in that war. My brother, who is estranged, hopefully keeps them in a dry place. They are an interesting record of that time.

When we went to clean that house out in preparation for sale all this stuff was there. It was like walking through a yard sale of one's childhood. I was good at that stuff at the time and was there early so I got to look at it closely. All these letters, and diaries and such. Most of the written material went into the archive. I just hope brother is keeping it dry.