PDA

View Full Version : Latest furniture project

Keith Wilson
06-25-2008, 11:48 AM
I built this for my daughter and finished putting it together last night; figured I'd brag a little. I posted it on another thread (long story), but I suspect most folks don't want to deal with a 600-post monster involving a lot of bickering with SamF.

http://shutter14.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/26/001/79/7E/C9/73/Fj3I1y3Z6ULKAwXxzufuuIt8oSSoSMb00300.jpg

http://shutter11.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/26/005/6B/FD/A0/CD/qaShmIj+t7Gw2wX3lHQji3KoXClcWfKf0300.jpg

http://shutter11.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/26/001/72/FF/87/70/4YB6fsHzcioKPzuWKTLNIjAVuFrgWgqI0300.jpg

Technical details: Case and drawer fronts are white and red oak, plywood back and side panels, web frames are maple, as is the inlay on the drawers. Drawers are pine (I like the smell). Finish is golden brown water-based dye, shellac sealer, orangish-brown gel stain for glaze, then polyurethane semi-gloss varnish. The drawers almost fit; the next one will be better. I think the boards I used for the top two drawer fronts have a little too much - um - character, but all in all I'm pleased.

switters
06-25-2008, 11:50 AM
now thats craftsmanship. well done, thanks for sharing.

TimH
06-25-2008, 11:52 AM
nice! I would have used particle board though because its more in style these days. Maybe put some wallpaper over it in strategic places...oooh that would be nice :)

Captain Blight
06-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Keith, how old is your daughter? Cuz if she's under 6 the "face" in the 2nd drawer might alarm her a little.x

Paul Pless
06-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Dang Keith, you've been busy eh? This is the third, fine piece of work I've seen you post in about as many months.

Gonzalo
06-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Keith, didn't Vicky just turn 22?

Keith Wilson
06-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Yep, 22. I missed the "face" entirely, but it won't bother her much. :D I don't think it's as obvious in reality is it is in the photos, but I can see how in the middle of the night a six-year-old might freak. I have been kind of on a roll lately. Thanks for the kind words, everybody.

Actually, Norm, you could do it if you wanted. I started building furniure a couple of years ago, and I had not the vaguest idea what I was doing. It's mostly practice and reading.

Captain Blight
06-25-2008, 02:14 PM
I count 3, maybe 4 different species in the drawer fronts. How in the world did you get the finish so even in tone and hue for all of them? REALLY nice work!

Keith Wilson
06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
I count 3, maybe 4 different species in the drawer fronts.No, no, they're all quartersawn white oak. The bottom four are even from the same board. Quartersawn oak's like that; the appearance can vary a great deal over a short distance.

Spin_Drift
06-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Beautiful work... Excellent craftsmanship. You are an artist...:p

Tom Montgomery
06-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Very very nice.

botebum
06-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Very nice work, Keith.

Doug

BETTY-B
06-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Hmmmm? You guys all see the pics huh? All I get are those terrible little red x's. I'll play along though. Nice work Keith!

DAN

Keith Wilson
06-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey, I worked for a long time on those red Xs! :D

Try right-clicking the image and click "show picture". If that doesn't work, right-click again, select "properties," and then copy and paste the image url into your browser. Might work.

botebum
06-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Works fine for me, Dan. Have you tried right clicking the little red x and clicking Show Picture in the pop up window?

Doug

hansp77
06-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Keith,
you appear to construct your woodwork with as much care and attention to detail as your arguments,
congratulations, it's a lovely piece of work.

it is always interesting to know these things- so
how many hours- and if you don't mind- cost of materials?

C. Ross
06-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Where do you buy your hardwoods?

David G
06-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Keith,

Very nice. I like the arched front skirt. I love the maple inlay. If those drawers are interchangable, you might like it better with the two upper, highly figured, drawer fronts in the two bottom-most slots (we're into the realm of aesthetics, so YMMV - but they carry more visual weight, and therefore might be better down low on a traditional piece like this). The finish looks very sweet. Keep 'em coming. Your stuff is always a treat to ogle.

"Life is having ups and downs and sharing them with friends" -- Trey & Matt (South Park)

AussieBarney
06-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Dang!!! That is a sweet piece of furniture. Congratulations mate:D I wish.......:p:D Ah, well maybe one day:o Barney

Keith Wilson
06-25-2008, 04:34 PM
. .. how many hours- and if you don't mind- cost of materials?I don't keep detailed records, particularly of costs; it might discourage me. It took three or four weeks of work, averaging a couple of hours most days with some longer sessions on weekends. Maybe 100 hours? A wild guess.

The white oak I got from Rockler when they had a good sale. The rest of it here and there; some red oak and oak plywood at Menard's, believe it or not.

David, the drawers are all different; they get smaller toward the top. I think you may be right about the figure; I'll take that into account on the next one. I'm getting a little better at predicting how a particular piece will look when finished, but I still get surprised sometimes.

BETTY-B
06-25-2008, 05:01 PM
OK. I see those fantastic pics now. Maybe the pic hosting site was down for the entire four seconds of my attention span, refreshing at 34,000 times a second? Anyways, those look really, really good Keith.
DAN

Warren Clemans
06-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Very nice work. I particularly appreciate it that you didn't give in to temptation and use drawer slide hardware. Boxes in a case...good honest work and you can't fake the fit.

PeterSibley
06-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Very ,very nice work Keith .Well done !

Dave Gray
06-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Someday I hope to produce something half as good. Very nice.

Woxbox
06-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Nice job. That's going to be in the family for some time.

Ross M
06-25-2008, 08:11 PM
That is a beautiful piece of work!

Ross

Mrleft8
06-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Dude....................... Do you ever sleep?

Hughman
06-25-2008, 09:14 PM
I like it! :)

S B
06-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Lookin' good.:)

pipefitter
06-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Always thought I would like to fill my house with quarter sawn oak one day. The nicest refinished antiques always seemed to be that. Always interesting to look at. You did a great job.

Paul Girouard
06-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Nice work Keith:cool: , for a "ole man" :D

BTW I did see that photo on the "other" thread , I figured you posted it as some type of " irrelevant" post to some comment made by Sam. It sure was out of place there. So your intentions where met.

I've got a couple of new pieces I could post but I figured I better ask first. I know some folks get all "spun -up" about "others" posting photo to "thier" threads. I could / should start my own thread but .............

Funny how much wood a guy can cull through and still in the end want more or "better" pieces. I like it it's a "comfortable" piece IMO.

StevenBauer
06-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Beautiful work, Keith. Your daughter is lucky. :)

Steven

Keith Wilson
06-26-2008, 09:22 AM
I figured you posted it as some type of " irrelevant" post to some comment made by Sam. It sure was out of place there. So your intentions where met.There was a method to that madness. About a month ago I asked SamF some questions which he has been avoiding ever since, despite absurd persistence on my part. I speculated I'd finish the dresser before he answered them; that's why the picture.

Thanks very much for all the kind words, everybody. Fortunately the photos don't show the flaws. I'm working hard on overcoming the tendency to point out in excruciating detail everything that's wrong with things I build

Paul Girouard
06-26-2008, 09:47 AM
#1: There was a method to that madness. About a month ago I asked SamF some questions which he has been avoiding ever since, despite absurd persistence on my part. I speculated I'd finish the dresser before he answered them; that's why the picture.

#2: I'm working hard on overcoming the tendency to point out in excruciating detail everything that's wrong with things I build

#1: Ah so one who "really" have to have been paying attention to that other thread to pick up on that. Pretty weird / amazing that threads been going so long , lots of "persistent" folks on that thread :D

#2: That may never happen , I've been building "stuff" since I was in Jr. high , and that still happens. I like to think it's about "caring" about what I build , maybe it's "worst" than that. So your not alone.

I guess I should start my own thread , you didn't "really " answer my question there "Sam" ;) :D

Keith Wilson
06-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Oh, sorry - Sure, post pictures! Please!

John of Phoenix
06-26-2008, 11:11 AM
I think the only wood prettier than quarter sawn oak is quarter sawn mahagony.
A really lovely piece Keith. That'll be a family heirloom.

If you will... please describe how you do the inlay.

Keith Wilson
06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
please describe how you do the inlay. It's very simple inlay. I got the drawer fronts the right size, then cut a groove (3/16 wide and not quite as deep) parallel to each edge using a router with an edge guide, and squared the corners with a chisel. Then I cut strips of hard maple just a little wider than the grooves, and hand planed a very slight taper so they fit tightly in the grooves. Then I put glue on 'em and hammered them into the grooves (not too violently, wooden mallet). When the glue was dry I planed them flush. If I do it again I think I'll try mitering the corners of the inlay - fussy, but it might be worth the effort. And the dye mixture was too strong when I did the top drawer, so the inlay got too brown, but that's easy to avoid.

Osborne Russell
06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Pretty. How'd you dovetail the drawer fronts? By hand?

Keith Wilson
06-26-2008, 01:13 PM
How'd you dovetail the drawer fronts? By hand?Router and jig.

Leon m
06-26-2008, 04:06 PM
but I suspect most folks don't want to deal with a 600-post monster involving a lot of bickering with SamF.

Thank You !

Your work is the finest kind ! I really like the finish.

Paul Girouard
06-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Oh, sorry - Sure, post pictures! Please!

Here they are , a TV cabinet book shelve unit to match a fire place mantel I did a few years ago . They need stained and finished yet.

Shop Birch ply , Alder lumber , grain matched panels and drawer (I got it write that time first go round) fronts .

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/June222008.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/June2220085.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/June2220082.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/June2220089.jpg

I'm thinking of leaving the interior natural / clear finished , if the clients OK with that, what do you think? The ones I've made for myself I left natural and I like it but I'm not sure what the "group " / others think about that. So I'd like opinions , ,,,,,,,,,,,maybe :D

Ya never know IF thats a good idea eh:eek:

Keith Wilson
06-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Ooh, very purty! Nice work; very well-proportioned, particularly for something that can look too massive and clunky if not done carefully. I dunno about the finish; I've never worked with alder.

Paul Girouard
06-29-2008, 10:16 PM
The clear would be inside the cabinet only , the exterior and back the doors will get stained to match the mantel , so ONLY the inside of the case MIGHT be clear finish only .

Mantel it goes with ,

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/aug2005022.jpg

The client stained and finished this one so they have to give me a starting point , or offered to anyway , on color.

Captain Blight
06-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Kieth, I'm only 2 blocks away from the Rockler at Lyn-Lake. Happened to be in the store the day they were loading in 600 BF QSWO and helped the boys bring it downstairs; they gave me 30% off on my buy that day, which was about as much QSWO as I could carry home (maybe 22 board foot or so). If you want to save yourself a trip over there, I'm in there maybe 4 days a week, so drop me a PM and I can check to see what they have.