PDA

View Full Version : Shadetree conversions - 50 mpg pickups

Dutch
06-25-2008, 11:11 AM
These guys are claiming they stick diesel tractor engines in pickups and then get 50 mpg. Anyone know anything about them?

http://www.shadetreeconversions.com/

Dutch
06-25-2008, 11:17 AM
yeah, I thought the same thing.

I wish I was in on it though. One of the guys that runs it was on Neil Boortz today and got himself a free plug in. Theyll be cleaning up.

TimH
06-25-2008, 11:18 AM
shadetree....hmm :)

martin schulz
06-25-2008, 11:24 AM
is this the WOODENboat forum, or what...

http://www.energieportal24.de/forum/files/p1010309_134.jpg

jack grebe
06-25-2008, 11:26 AM
I see nothing in the ad that addresses performance,
except when it says about flipping a switch (on the patrol car)
to engage in high speed persuit.

jack grebe
06-25-2008, 11:27 AM
is this the WOODENboat forum, or what...

http://www.energieportal24.de/forum/files/p1010309_134.jpg
Do I really want to ask:rolleyes:.

martin schulz
06-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Do I really want to ask:rolleyes:.

Doesn't matter...I will answer anyway (just the right diversion from work).

It's a wood-gasifier car and I am sure we will see more of those forgotten antique technologies in the future.

cs
06-25-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't know if you guys have noticted, but I've been thinking more green and off the grid type thoughts. I've also got a truck that is the complete opposite of green and off the grid. In fact it needs a whole grid itself to operate.

But I've played around with different ideas of making it more green. We have discussed some of those here and some we have not.

One of my more reacent thoughts was going diesel with it. I've two directions on this. One is converting the gas engine to diesel. I don't know much about this, but part of it involves removing the plugs and putting injectionrs in place of them. There is a lot more reserch needed on my part to validate this.

But other train of thought is to take out the inefficiant gas burner and repleace it with a diesel. This may be easy and cheap enough. I've done no research on doing this yet.

Other than being a gas hog and not to clean burning the truck is good and everyone needs a truck.

Chad

Gary E
06-25-2008, 11:50 AM
There is or was a Yahoo Group that stuffed Detroit Diesels into pickups... 4-53's and 6v53's as i recall.. and some 4 cyl Cummins...
Wasit for milage?.. dont know, think it was just cuz it sounded cool...

LeeG
06-25-2008, 11:52 AM
chad, wouldn't it be great to have a small diesel pickup? Woudn't need more than 100hp and plenty of torque. Something like a Toyota.

Captain Blight
06-25-2008, 11:58 AM
That's why Hertz and Enterprise et. al. are in business for, I reckon. They can pick up the cost of financing a new 4x4. Fer the 5 or 6 times a year I actually need a truck to be a truck, I can rent one. Mind you, if I lived out of the city and was currently with boat, I'd probably sing a different tune.

RonW
06-25-2008, 12:08 PM
One is converting the gas engine to diesel. I don't know much about this, but part of it involves removing the plugs and putting injectionrs in place of them. There is a lot more reserch needed on my part to validate this.

Forget it.......this was done in the early 80's and a diesel has too high of compression as compared to gas. You blow head gaskets and the rods start knocking...if you want a diesel, get a diesel.....

LeeG
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
get this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk

Rigadog
06-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I have a car that runs on snake oil and it gets 100 mpg.

Ron Williamson
06-25-2008, 08:38 PM
I met a guy who put a 100ish hp Perkins into his 4wd Chevrolet.
He said it worked out well,had plenty of power for his farm needs but wouldn't do it over again.
I considered a 4cyl.turbo from a rusted out Hino FB(Toyota,BTW) 3 ton,,but the automatic trans./transfer case compatiblity issue canned it for me.If my truck was 2wd,I would have used the Hino 5 speed tranmission,as well.
R

carioca1232001
06-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Doesn't matter...I will answer anyway (just the right diversion from work).

It's a wood-gasifier car and I am sure we will see more of those forgotten antique technologies in the future.

My late father-in-law had one of these, in the boot area of his early-40´s Chrysler station-wagon during WW II.

Encountered problems going uphill to the hill-station (Petrópolis) due to the high temperature - and consequently lower volumetric efficiency - of the gaseous (CO) fuel charge. Presented a fire-hazard too.

Actually, these 'coke' plants were commonplace, as the petrol was all channelled to the war effort.

cs
06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I watched that video from Top Gear and it almost makes me want to go out and buy a Toyota. What else could they do to that thing to kill it?

Chad

Pierce Nichols
06-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Smells like a total scam, to me.... it's got all the earmarks of being one. For $50, you can find out, though :p

I don't know -- a small pickup with a small tractor diesel, driven carefully? It's not outside the realm of possibility that they actually got that once or twice. Doubt you'd get that on a regular basis, but you could still generate significant return.

johnw
06-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Maybe driving 30 mph on the freeway...downhill.

When we visited my uncle Hans in Denmark about 1974, he was sure his patents on coal gasification for automobiles would become valuable.

LeeG
06-25-2008, 11:05 PM
I watched that video from Top Gear and it almost makes me want to go out and buy a Toyota. What else could they do to that thing to kill it?

Chad

it's hysterical isn't it? my brother had an early TDI Jetta,,it had around 70hp and he towed a glider with it. When I grew up we had a 1959 36hp VW Van.

I don't see any reason why a person couldn't have the equivalent of that 80's Toyota diesel but with some of the fancier modern diesels and do just fine with 100hp and a buncha torque, you simply accelerate slowly but you'll get there. My old '72 Datsun pickup had something like 75hp with a 1.6 liter engine.

Obviously gas has been pretty cheap over the decades if that was acceptable acceleration back then.

oldsub86
06-25-2008, 11:12 PM
My old Mercedes 300D puts out 77Hp according to the manual and it runs fine. It won't get 50 mpg but I have often wondered if I could put the motor out of a similar car in my 68 Chevy C10 and be happy with it.

I also wonder if a motor like the 300D would work in a boat running an IO.

Randy

Captain Blight
06-25-2008, 11:50 PM
My old Mercedes 300D puts out 77Hp according to the manual and it runs fine. It won't get 50 mpg but I have often wondered if I could put the motor out of a similar car in my 68 Chevy C10 and be happy with it.

Randy

Often wondered that same thing myself. 3-liter inline 6, which is about the right size for a lot of applications.

Tylerdurden
06-26-2008, 05:40 AM
Diesel electric hybrid trucks would work well but as you can see by this thread one needs performance too. Its a truck though so speed is not supposed to be at issue here. We all need to rethink transportation because not many will be able to afford technology driven vehicles in the future. I drove back from Mass last night after the wake and the whole way I thought I would be happy to give up driving altogether. I pray we can go back in time some with small community's and high speed public transport instead of our current model I am getting all luddite all of a sudden.;)

jack grebe
06-26-2008, 08:02 AM
efficiency - of the gaseous (CO) fuel charge. Presented a fire-hazard too.

Actually, these 'coke' plants were commonplace, as the petrol was all channelled to the war effort.
There is a trend something like that now, Many folks accross the country
are turning to alt. fuels already......fuels they can make themselves.
I have and will continue:cool:

jack grebe
06-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Often wondered that same thing myself. 3-liter inline 6, which is about the right size for a lot of applications.
The inline 6 cyl had a set of problems all it's own.
If it got a little too warm, it would crack the head.
Not one of MB's better engines, However the 4 and 5 cyl
diesels (prior to 85) have been successfully planted in IO
configuration.

jack grebe
06-26-2008, 08:16 AM

Randy
It would drive about like your non turbo "D" does,Slow. but you would pretty
much lose any real carrying and towing capacity.

rufustr
06-26-2008, 04:36 PM

Chad

Here are links to what else they came up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk

Rufus

LeeG
06-26-2008, 08:11 PM
"the body work is holding the chassis together"...I want one(before the demolition work, and submergence, etc, etc).

but for a truck to get 50mpg it would have to be aerodynamic, maybe something with a clamshell bed cover.

oldsub86
06-26-2008, 11:05 PM
It would drive about like your non turbo "D" does,Slow. but you would pretty
much lose any real carrying and towing capacity.

One would think that with enough gears, it would be capable of hauling and towing just like the big trucks.

It wouldn't be a hot rod at a traffic light but the fuel economy would make up for it.

My non turbo 300D really is not all that bad. It does not squeal the tires when I leave a light but I'm not really holding up traffic and it runs along fine at highway speeds.

Randy

Ron Williamson
06-27-2008, 05:00 AM
http://www.americasminitruckcenter.com/subaru-japanese-mini-trucks/