PDA

View Full Version : Stimson Shed: Glue the bows?

Figment
10-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Quick question regarding Stimson Shed construction:

The plans suggest...

For extra strength and stiffness in the bows, you can glue the strapping to the filler blocks using a waterproof yellow carpenters glue such as Titebond II. You'll need to let the glue set for a couple hours before removing each bow from the form, so don't use glue on the bows if you're in a hurry.I don't get it. Without glue, you can just yank the bow from the form after driving the last screw and proceed onto the next, but if you use glue, those screws are no longer sufficient to hold the bow's shape while the glue cures??
Or are they suggesting glue in lieu of screws?

(sub-question: is it worth gluing the bows, or do the non-glued assemblies work just dandy?)

Thanks, folks.

kc8pql
10-15-2004, 04:24 PM
I used glue and screws on mine. It's 24' X 45' X 20' high, so the bows are big. It's been a few years since I built it, built it but I don't remmember waiting for the glue to dry.

CK 17
10-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Figment,

I also glued and screwed mine. I used "liquid nails" for subfloors. I didn't wait for it to set up. I just moved on to the next one.

Joe Schena

ion barnes
10-16-2004, 01:04 AM
I took it to mean glue OR screws. Just screws will allow it to be a mite more flexable and I would not use just glue. You could use bolts instead.