PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow trout question.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-23-2008, 09:42 AM
On Saturday the 21st june I managed to snatch a couple of hours on a small stillwater stocked with rainbows.

http://www.btinternet.com/~jedforestaa/hass.htm

Nice spot, had it all to myself from 5 in the evening - the reason I had it all to myself was the weather - blowing a hoolie and driving rain.

Managed to stand about an hour and a half - took one rainbow of about two and a half pounds.

The big surprise was that it was gravid - filled with roe.

Is this common for rainbows in June?

Phillip Allen
06-23-2008, 09:44 AM
a trout farm is not natural I suppose...

switters
06-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Rainbow trout typically spawn in the spring, however, hatcheries will manipulate spawns by changing the water temperature at the hatchery. You caught a brood fish that was recently stocked.

sounds like a nice day of fishing.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Last stocking date for the lochs was in April - the water felt warm to the touch now, but April to Midsummer is quite a big change.

emichaels
06-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Depends on the stability of the water temperature and the feed bug rate. But yes it is possible.

ishmael
06-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Well, back to the original question.

The last time I caught a trout I also wrote some poetry. Pretty good, if I say so myself, but nothing I'll belabor you with here. Love of a woman.

A cane pole, I dug a worm out of the ground, diced him up so he'd fit on the hook and bam, I caught a trout. I hiked that brook a lot, and never saw a trout before or since. He was incredibly beautiful, as only trout can be.

Leon m
06-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Is this common for rainbows in June?
I've caught a lot of Bows over the years, and have never come across that in june. I'd say quite uncommon...in these parts anyway.