PDA

View Full Version : Big Oil Returns to Iraq

skuthorp
06-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Unashamed C&P here, don't think I need to comment.

Big Oil Returns to Iraq
By Patrick Cockburn, The Independent UK. Posted June 21, 2008.

The return of the four major Western oil companies will be greeted with dismay by many Iraqis who fear losing control of their vast oil reserves.
Nearly four decades after the four biggest Western oil companies were expelled from Iraq by Saddam Hussein, they are negotiating their return. By the end of the month, Royal Dutch Shell, BP, Exxon Mobil and Total will sign agreements with the Baghdad government, Iraq's first with big Western oil firms since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.
The deals are for repair and technical support in some of the country's largest oilfields, the Oil Ministry in Baghdad said yesterday. The return of "Big Oil" will add to the suspicions of those in the Middle East who claimed that the overthrow of Saddam was secretly driven by the West's desire to gain control of Iraq's oil. It will also be greeted with dismay by many Iraqis who fear losing control of their vast oil reserves.

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/88933/?ses=aded67160640bc0210709ad7894d30c5
Of course western (short and medium-term) national interests are at work here, I don't think things are played out fully in the Middle East yet. Anybody like to comment on the Israeli 'rehearsal raid' near Greece last week?

Shang
06-22-2008, 09:50 PM
As I've mentioned before...
We could save ourselves and others a lot of trouble if we'd elect someone whose friends and family didn't make their money in the oil business...

Tanbark Spanker
06-22-2008, 10:03 PM
There we go again, Shang, with the assumption of democracy. There is no democracy in the US. The Fed controls domestic policy and the IMF controls US foreign policy. Both sides of Congress is controlled by multinational interests the Senate is one Satanic entity, the Judicial and the Executive is CFR and derivatives of the Order of The Nazi Deaths Head and the military belongs to daddy.

Welcome to the slave planet.

The Bigfella
06-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Anybody like to comment on the Israeli 'rehearsal raid' near Greece last week?

My guess would be that it was a warning rather than a serious preparation. If it was the latter, you wouldn't have heard about it.

Tanbark Spanker
06-22-2008, 10:12 PM
The Mossad is justification for genocide.

LeeG
06-22-2008, 11:17 PM
mission accomplished,,just a few more years to ensure the security of the oil industry and our job is done.

BrianW
06-23-2008, 12:32 AM
Speaking of jobs... I'll be watching for jobs over there, that's for sure. A 4 week on/2 week off schedule for a couple years would pay off the house plus some.