PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Morris Minor

Hwyl
06-22-2008, 03:52 AM
60 today!!!

I've owned 3, I can think of no logical reason why I like them.

http://www.morrisminoroc.co.uk/Images/stanford/nr1.jpg

Spin_Drift
06-22-2008, 04:45 AM
60 today!!!

I've owned 3, I can think of no logical reason why I like them.

http://www.morrisminoroc.co.uk/Images/stanford/nr1.jpg

I've always liked them but never sat in one. My girlfriend has one, calls it her shopping car...

How economical is it to drive?

How comfortable?

I like to have big automobiles as I feel safer in them. Had a couple of -82 Corvettes (my favorite year). Felt OK driving them.

...anyway, tell me about them...:) Are they the same as Morris Mini?

paladin
06-22-2008, 04:46 AM
Masochist....

Tylerdurden
06-22-2008, 06:15 AM
A Diesel Morris Minor delivery would be a good thing to have right now.

rbgarr
06-22-2008, 06:28 AM
You won't like this Gareth (no one ever likes being compared to some thing or someone else) but I see a resemblance between you and the Minor. :eek:

Hwyl
06-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Easy to fix.? Weak trunnions?

Tylerdurden
06-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Solid and Reliable

Vince Brennan
06-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Loyalty is engendered by the damndest things.

I happen to love and adore the Austin Healy (best: 1969 MKIII) which is unreliable, unforgiving, under-powered, uncomfortable, has (with top up) incredibly poor peripheral and rear vision, will lose it's exhaust going over a large pebble, lousy heating/cooling and even worse steering, not to mention those incredibly impossible-to-tune carburettors.

So? I'd give my left (insert body part here) for another one. I just love 'em.

(But then, I like tank-shift Harleys, too, so that REALLY puts me in the 'loony-tune' camp!)

Saltiguy
06-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Those VW bugs were no bargain - no heater or defroster, rust-out in no time flat, low power, bad(evil) handling and bad paint. I bought 3 of them

Clencher
06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Aaaaah, memories memories...............my first car was a 1958 Morris Minor - one of the ones with wood trim.

Sorry Hwyl, sacrilege I know, but I used to carry a Seagull outboard round in it.

Still, times change, the Morris Minor is long gone and the Seagull now has to slum it in a Volvo.

(I will now be on Hwyl's ignore list and am off out of the Bilge, scary down here.)

rufustr
06-22-2008, 04:29 PM
My first car was a $60.00 ancient and decrepit Morrie Minor panel van.
I was 17 and still at school.
It died a week before the final exams, so I had to ride my bicycle to sit for the exams.
Called the wrecker, he gave me $60.00 for it and towed it away.
Impossible to break even like that with a car now.
All that was 40 + years ago, and Morries were underpowered, slow and inefficient with fuel even then.
Still, I think we got 15 blokes in it to go to football one sports afternoon.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/e/e6/250px-Morris_minor_van.jpg

Rufus

jack grebe
06-22-2008, 08:55 PM
I like them myself, I was toying with the idea of chain driving a
motorcycle engine into one of them:rolleyes:.......

BETTY-B
06-22-2008, 09:18 PM
There's been a restored one hanging around the boat yard here for the last few days. It's just like the one I used ride around in high school in. I always thought they were way cool...

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-23-2008, 04:46 AM
"That damned poached egg designed by that damned foreigner" (Lord Nuffield)

I never did get on with the electric fuel pump.

Otherwise, a truly delightful car.

I have particularly fond memories of the 1000 Traveller... but those are connected with a girlfriend..

Hwyl
06-23-2008, 05:11 AM
Great quote. The traveller was a truly versatile car.

WX
06-23-2008, 05:26 AM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/e/e6/250px-Morris_minor_van.jpg

Oh wonderful memories, I bought a Morry van 1000 back in 75 for $250 in Perth. Drove it to Sydney via the Alpine way...what a trip! Then drove it to Brisbane, then back to Perth; had to replace the engine then. 12 months later I drove to Brisbane and back again.....Bloody wonderful car, nice to drive, had a crank handle, suffered from vapor locks if you pulled up for a while after a long drive. They were easy to fix though. Just pull the fuel line off and crank it over.
Turn a key, pull the starter knob and away you go....the world was my mollusc.
I was a Hippy then and my girlfriend wrote Wilfred's White Lightning Express on the drivers side door in gothic lettering.