PDA

View Full Version : Space Camp

epoxyboy
06-21-2008, 10:40 PM
My boy came home from school Wednesday last week - Dad I need $70 for the school ski trip - thats cool.
The daughter comes home on thursday - Dad, I want to go to Space Camp, high school is organising a trip there in two years. Its only $6500. Gulp!! Yep we can "manage" that.
Bear in mind that coming from New Zealand this involves travelling half way round the world to a foreign ;-) country, so it is not a trivial exercise. As a kid I would have given my left testicle to do this trip if it had been available, and I think its a fantastic opportunity.
Has anyone here got any any experience with this, personally or through your kids?

Pete

coelacanth2
06-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Egad! Thats a long way to travel. Be the trip of a lifetime, though, and given the flux of the travel industry, probably best do it now. My son will be going there next year - he's 11 now, a year too young.
Peter Malcolm Jardine's opinions aside, the USA is perfectly safe, we aren't all armed and crazy.:D
Everything I've heard of seen says it is a great experience.

bamamick
06-21-2008, 10:49 PM
You're talking about the one in Huntsville, Alabama? Wow. How cool is that? About 25 miles from Ms. Margo's hometown, and I believe poster willmarsh is listing Huntsville as his hometown.

My niece went. My youngest daughter wanted to go badly and she did wind up going up there for something but not the full spacecamp thing. My niece called it the experience of a lifetime (and she is a professional writer who has traveled the world). Man, that is pretty cool.

I sailed in Muscle Shoals about a month ago and met several people from Huntsville. One of the better educated populations in America, for the obvious reasons. It's a fairly small city but because there are so many scientists from so many cities and different countries it has quite a lot to offer as far as quality of life goes. You don't drive through there on any interstate. You have to be going there to get there, and I think that the people that live in that area like it that way. It's inside the state of Alabama, but in a lot of ways it's a state of it's own.

Mickey Lake

epoxyboy
06-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Sounds encouraging so far. She would be away from home for the better part of two weeks - the trip includes a few "fun" activities and a week in Alabama.
Unfortunately, apart from Australia and a few Pacific islands, anywhere is a long way from here. I did the London - LA - Auckand trip in one go - 23 hours in an aeroplane, with a one hour layover in LA. Never again!

Pete

bamamick
06-21-2008, 11:17 PM
My youngest just got home from a semester in Belfast so I can understand a little. It's a big sacrifice to make but if you can do it it's something that will go toward building your daughter into the person that she wants to become. A chance to see another world is a chance not to be missed if at all possible.

She might even come back saying 'y'all'. :)

Mickey Lake

Rigadog
06-22-2008, 12:29 AM
I would never let my kids go to space camp. There is no air in outer space, and very little gravity, and it can be very cold.

bamamick
06-22-2008, 12:34 AM
You're right. Huntsville can get pretty cold, depending on when you go, but as far as I know there is plenty of oxygen there, and I believe that there is far more gravity at Spacecamp than there is in some of the posts that we'll get about Spacecamp. The young New Zealand lass should be just fine should she (and her parents) choose to accept this mission.

Mickey Lake

The Bigfella
06-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Ahh - has the fundraising started yet? Been through that a few times with kid's overseas trips - eldest boy did a soccer trip to Vanuatu, youngest boy did a band trip to NZ a year or so back. The wives seem to bear the brunt of it - sausage sizzles, etc.

That should be a fabulous trip. See if you can get there as an accompanying parent.

My eldest is about to head off to Korea for a year. Nominally teaching English as a second language, more like child-minding if you ask me.

Spin_Drift
06-22-2008, 03:25 AM
Can she get some kind of a scholar ship for it.

If she knows how to write well, maybe she could contact a travel or other magazine and ask them to buy the story with photographs. Maybe she could sell the story to several magazines and it would help cover part of the cost of travel...

She should keep a diary on each day...

...just an idea...

Captain Blight
06-22-2008, 03:58 AM
My niece wants to go next year. She's saving every penny of her babysitting and dog-walking money to contribute. She doesn't know that i'm checking in with my sister every so often to see how things are coming along and that I'm going to provide matching funds.

Probably never going to have kids--I'd like to but am not equipped and SWMBO says "no damn way"-- so the least I can do is be the coolest uncle in the world.

Spin_Drift
06-22-2008, 04:04 AM
My niece wants to go next year. She's saving every penny of her babysitting and dog-walking money to contribute. She doesn't know that i'm checking in with my sister every so often to see how things are coming along and that I'm going to provide matching funds.

Probably never going to have kids--I'd like to but am not equipped and SWMBO says "no damn way"-- so the least I can do is be the coolest uncle in the world.

...what, talk about trouser snake... :eek::D:D

..Sorry, people, couldn't be helped....;):D

Well, really, that's very nice thing you are doing...

:)

Captain Blight
06-22-2008, 04:26 AM
OUCH

I just meant I don't have a uterus. Ready access to one and its ancillaries but was not issued one from the get-go and don't plan on a retrofit any time soon.

LOL

Spin_Drift
06-22-2008, 04:30 AM
OUCH

I just meant I don't have a uterus. Ready access to one and its ancillaries but was not issued one from the get-go and don't plan on a retrofit any time soon.

LOL

You know, that was kind of a private joke in between us after your post on the snake thread...;):D

seanz
06-22-2008, 07:03 AM
My boy came home from school Wednesday last week - Dad I need $70 for the school ski trip - thats cool.
The daughter comes home on thursday - Dad, I want to go to Space Camp, high school is organising a trip there in two years. Its only $6500. Gulp!! Yep we can "manage" that.
Pete

:eek:
That's a lot of chocolate.......
http://www.cadbury.co.nz/fundraiser/fundraising.htm

Put me down for a couple of boxes.

Tanbark Spanker
06-22-2008, 04:29 PM
"We are a reluctant spacefaring people."

Paul Pless
06-22-2008, 05:16 PM
I did not attend space camp as a kid. Lord knows I wanted to. The Redstone Arsenal is only a couple of hours from my house and I've made many trips there over the years. Its a very very cool place. Goodluck!

Tanbark Spanker
06-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Redstone=Rothstein.

crawdaddyjim50
06-22-2008, 10:05 PM
My daughter has done the Kennedy space camp the last three years. She has enjoyed everyone but last years. She had a counciler (sp?) this last time that was way over the top with the military style discipline. She has opted out this year for a chance to go to her cousins for the summer.

The Huntsville camp is a lot more involve than the Kennedy camps are. And more suited to older kids. I hope she gets to go.

epoxyboy
06-23-2008, 12:20 AM
I would never let my kids go to space camp. There is no air in outer space, and very little gravity, and it can be very cold.

The lack of gravity aint a problem for us "down under" types - we knows how to cling on with our toes to stops from fallin' off the bottom of the world. Didn't think of no air though!
As for fund raising, she'll be old enough to start babysitting next year, and the company I work for has some reasonably "kid friendly" electronics assembly positions going in the factory over our summer break. The reality of doing 9 - 5 on an assembly line in a nice clean warm factory for a week should motivate any kid to do better!
Thanks for the feedback guys - good to hear from people whs kids/neices/nephews have been there, done that and enjoyed it.

And Sean, if she brings home that much chocolate I'll barf!

Pete

seanz
06-23-2008, 12:46 AM
And Sean, if she brings home that much chocolate I'll barf!

Pete

:eek:
NoNoNo
You're supposed to sell it, don't eat it you may as well just give her $2 and sidestep the calories.
:D

With a summer job, babysitting and some fundraising type activities she might be able to take some sting out of the cost.
Between camp and all the budgeting/planning to get there this should be a real education.
:)

Yeadon
06-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Encourage the dream ... but the Bigfella was right. Your kid needs to start fundraising. What was it ... two years away? Plenty of time to take a huge chunk out of that $6,500.

Now, of course, I have no idea how to go about fundraising. But I am full of good ideas.

Rigadog
06-23-2008, 07:29 AM
When I was a kid there was no space camp for humans. Monkeys were the only one at these camps. But you know what, I still turned out alright. We used to make slingshots, and tree houses, and rob liquor stores. We had these things called bicycles, and coloring books. When it was cold we'd warm potatoes in the oven and carry them in our pockets to keep from getting frostbite. When it snowed, we made snowmen. If a citrus truck wrecked on the corner, we'd make lemonade and sell it for two bits. We never dreamed of going into space. Space was for monsters, and little green men. We were devoted Earthlings, happy with grass stains and mud and carnival rides. The Call of the Wild was our Bible, and the world our oyster. We lived side by side with Wolverines, Hoot Owls, and Grizzleys . We learned their language, and their ways, and how to tell time by the way moss grew on the tree bark. That was the America I grew up in. Penny candy, and peep shows; Root beer floats and flaming rivers... Space Camp?... Space Camp? If we camped it was under the night sky, or in a canvas Pup tent that smelled of dog piss and rotten apples. We didn't have to crawl inside a tin can to have a good time, no sir. Space camp?? - Better to burrow into a snowdrift with a Beagle mutt and read the Playboy you stole from old Mr. Henderson's garage...

Space Camp?! Well, that may be how they do it nowadays, but give me a good old-fashioned American childhood any day.

(BTW this is TIC)

Nanoose
06-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Budget carefully....by the time the plane takes off, fuel prices will have quadrupled, and your $6500 price tag will be a long forgotten steal of a deal!

A group from school went to Paris last year....by the time all was said, and done, the price had risen dramatically.

mmd
06-23-2008, 09:42 AM
My daughter went on a class trip to Italy and Greece this past spring and had to fund-raise $3500 to afford it. No, I am not a tightwad (well, maybe a bit…) but I believe that teens should be aware of the effort it takes to do something extraordinary, so she must work for her opportunities. I was prepared to make up any shortfall in funds she may have experienced, but she is pretty good at most things that she turns her mind to, and she was very successful in raising money so I was left completely off the hook.

The reason that I bring this up is that she was very successful at raising money via an unusual venue. Aside from the class-sponsored car-washes and BBQ’s and other “normal” methods of fundraising, Gwyn approached local service clubs such as the Royal Canadian Legion, the Lion’s Club, and the Canadian Merchant Navy Association for donations. Gwyn is an accomplished public speaker and asked to make a ten-minute presentation to each of these service clubs during one of their regular monthly meetings. In her presentation she told the members about the trip, how it would benefit her future life, and made the offer that in exchange for their donation she would return to them after her trip with a multimedia presentation of her pictures, interviews, and music gathered during her trip, and a narrative of her trip experiences. She approached five organizations, four of which accepted her offer. From these four she raised $1800. Bottom line is that she used her talents and skills to take advantage of a fund-raising opportunity that most students did not know existed. Maybe your child can take this idea and adapt it to her circumstances and skills.

Good luck to her – it sounds like a very good opportunity in so many ways.

martin schulz
06-23-2008, 09:47 AM

Yes and even while it is dangerous there is still something to learn...

http://www.rabittooth.com/13_calvin/spiff/spiff39.jpg

willmarsh3
06-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I did not go to space camp but I toured the Space and Rocket Center and saw some hints of what Space Camp is about. I think it would be a fantastic experience. Even if she doesn't end up in space it teaches valuable skills that would help her succeed in life.
Having lived in Huntsville for almost 8 years now I find it a great place to live. There are lots to see and do. I would highly recommend it.