PDA

View Full Version : It was MURDER!!!!!! pt. II

Tealsmith
06-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Previously on "It was MURDER." Something killed four of my six buff orpington half grown chickens. I had reinforced the run and bought a trap, but had caught nothing for three nights. Then we left for a little vacation......

Got back from the Smoky Mountains yesterday. Still had the two remaining chickens but something had been digging around the bottom of the fence. I rebaited the trap with a hotdog and this morning woke up to find Mr. Racoon. YESSSSSSSSSSSSS. I'm going to reset tonight in case he has a brother.

crawdaddyjim50
06-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Hate to have to tell you this but Mr. Raccoon probably has several bros. and sisters as well as cousins and aunts and uncles. If you can rig it a small electric fence run around the bottom edge of the coop will stop them from trying to dig in.

Captain Blight
06-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Or 40 grains of lead pellet administered intracutantously just behind the ear at 1250 FPS.

paladin
06-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I wanna coonskin cap....

botebum
06-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Glad you got it figured out. Now that you have identified the enemy, the war can begin. Jim is right though, Mr. Coon has an extended family. Stock up on hotdogs and cheap ammo.
We had a visitor to the chicken tractor a few nights ago. Only evidence was footprints on the hard part of the roof. They were partly washed away by the morning dew but it was either the big tom cat that haunts the area or a coon. The trap is set and the dog is chained about 40ft away. If I chain the dog any closer then she barks at the chickens and they stress out. Ruins the feed/meat ratio.
We have heard about black panthers in the area this year and kind of dismissed it as a problem until Tonya spotted one at the back of our neighbor's field about a 1/2 mile down the road. As long as there's plenty of food in the woods and swamps, I still doubt we'll be bothered by them. If their food supply is depleted, the situation might change. So far so good.
If I can get a shot(photo) of one of our panthers, I will certainly share it on the forum. If I see one near the house or animals, I'll share a picture of a dead one.

Doug

Paul Girouard
06-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Coons will keep on coming back unless a dog , or something to scare , them is around. Just trapping in a have a heart trap will be a all year / season , if your chickens are a seasonal, event. Maybe you have the time and that will work out for you, who are you "blessing " with thier release
a distant neighbor / farmer?

I'm not sure how far a coon would need to be moved to NOT have most of them come back to a "good hunt / food source " area?

Doug hows the job search going? Or have you "really " started to look?

Spin_Drift
06-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Here is the clan...:eek::eek:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Spin_Drift/Animals/FrenchFrytheTaterTots.jpg

botebum
06-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Doug hows the job search going? Or have you "really " started to look?I'm looking but there really isn't a whole lot out there. Several of my friends, in other areas of construction, but still in supervisory roles, have been laid off as well. It's not very encouraging. I've been checking into some other fields, such as Electric Co. contractors, that aren't quite as affected by the economy. Got some leads but the starting pay tends to be about 1/2 what I was making.

Doug

crawdaddyjim50
06-21-2008, 06:04 PM
The sad part around here is the coons usually get run off by the black bears. They are not fazed by the shock wire and really tear up the coop. Can't shoot em and if you can get the trapper to show they set them free just the other side of the river. A short swim for them.

coelacanth2
06-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Bears is tasty, too... looks a lot like a pig when skinned. The ribstend to be a bit tough, though.

bamamick
06-21-2008, 11:00 PM
I hate to tell you this, but a dog will not stop 'em. Racoons are nuts, is the only way that I can figure it. They know full well that there is a huge beastie inside of my fence but they come anyway to get to the cat food bowls. So far he (the beastie) has accounted for three of them, and this is with me keeping him inside at night. It upsets me, as I am fond of 'coons. My brother in law across the swamp has raised orphan 'coons for years and I have sat with several of the little scamps on my lap over the years. I hate to have to bury them, but if they come inside the fence the bulldog will have his way with them, period.

A friend of mine had a big bulldog like mine (and mine weighs over 120 pounds) that he kept in the back yard fence. He told me that over a twelve year period Fritz killed 33 racoons. I don't understand how they can smell the food but not associate it with the monstrous creature who eats it, but apparently that's the way it is. I had always thought that 'coons were pretty intelligient.

Mickey Lake

Paul Girouard
06-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Your dog must not bark at them, "silent hunters" dogs that don't bay / bark on a trail are the fastest "treeing" hounds. Most silent hounds just bark "treed".

When I was kid my buddies Grand-dad , first guy I ever coon hunted with as a 8 or 9 Y/O, had a old silent hound , Smoke was solid on the tree and treed more coon for Ole "Chee" than any other hound he ever owned. Not much of a "hunt" but if tree-n coon was important Smoke was the hound to get-er-done.

Personally I liked a nice cold nose hound who could unravel a old trail and put that ole coon up the tree a hour or two later. R.I. coon may be longer runners than the southern coon you have in Bama. ;)

Coons aren't that smart about a "free meal" , like most critters , food is a great lure and some times the lure is to much / over comes the "is this safe / a good idea" part of survival instinct.

One of my Chessies was a possum killin machine , possum are REALLY stupid they'd sit on the 6 foot high fence and look down at her. She'd jump on the fence a knock them off , then it was CRUNCH time. :D

I heard the bones breaking a few times when I was trying to pull her off. :eek:

bamamick
06-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah, he's quiet. Makes my wife so angry because to try and convince the buggers to stay on their side of the fence I mounted a feeder on the outside near the swamp. I put corn in it for them, and sometimes things like raisins or old fruit that hasn't quite turned. They like the stuff from the feeder and it has seemed to have slowed them down, but the big butthead will go out there and lay down very quietly just on the other side of the feeder and wait. I heard a ruckus the other day and the wife was out there lecturing my dog about fairplay.

Mickey Lake