PDA

View Full Version : whish to build a 14' Whilly Boat

vincent
06-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Hello
I whish to build a 14'16" Whilly Boat.
How big have the location to be - for easy working?

thanks for feedback

sincerly
vincent

Bert Langley
06-21-2008, 01:15 PM
For me the minimum is 3 feet in all directions around the boat. This is for the actual building space only. It does not include tools, workbenches etc. I am not sure there is a maximum:)

vincent
06-25-2008, 06:53 AM
@Bert
thanks for your feedback

sincerly
vincent

switters
06-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Greetings,

If your shop space is minimal you will find yourself moving the boat from side to side. Build a frame with wheels (castors) to make things easier to move and your space becomes bigger. I am doing the same thing in my 3M x 7M garage. The first build I just kept moving sawhorses around but that was for a small boat and very light.

good luck.

Thorne
06-25-2008, 09:43 AM
3' is a good distance, and as above, you may possibly need more depending on what you'll be using under the boat.

I find that I often need to work with the boat on the trailer -- much easier than moving it from trailer to cradle and back again. So space for the trailer may be required if you'll work that way.

Steve Lansdowne
06-25-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm building a 13 1/2 foot long boat in my (outside dimension) 12 x 20 foot shop at present, which gets a bit tight at times, but I have the strongback on rollers so I can move the boat around a bit. I'd not try it in anything smaller.

woodchuck60
06-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi Vincent, I just completed the Whilly Boat and had already started the hull when Iain mailed me that he had changed the plans and improved the hull design.Make sure you have the new plans. He notified me about 9 months ago.
I built my Whilly boat in a small space and constantly moved the the building frame from side to side in my shop, so make sure you cross brace the building frame in order to keep the hull in line.
It was a joy to build and many people admire it. I'm still learning to sail her. Chuck.