PDA

View Full Version : Getting the finger...

Joe Dupere
06-19-2008, 07:22 PM
broken, or maybe just severely sprained is a real pain in the, well, finger. Something happened to my right index finger, and now I have it in a splint. It's a bummer. I'm right handed and have to do a lot left handed for a bit. I have to remember to put my pocketknife and my change in my left pocket, because it's bit difficult to root around in my pocket with a splint. Plus all the other stuff I do right handed without thinking about it, now I have to think about it.

Like typing. What a pain.

Joe, FPoP

David G
06-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Dang, I had no idea this kinda thing was contagious thru the internet...

I just got back from the doc cause I dislocated the last joint on my left middle finger. Doc said the x-rays showed that I'd popped it back in when I janked on it myself immediately after doing it. He said the reason it wouldn't straighten is that I'd overstretched the tendon & ligaments... it'd take care of itself.

Just as I suspected, but am leaving tomorrow for a 3-day sailing, camping weekend. Didn't want it to turn ugly somehow when I was out on the island.

http://www.dragonwall.net/summer-solstice-messabout/

"Be careful about reading health books. You might die of a misprint" -- Mark Twain

glenallen
06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
There must be millions of people nursing broken fingers at any moment. To say nothing of toes!
My worst broken finger was in high school, practicing football. Jumped up to catch a pass.
It was well over my head and when I jumped, the only part of me that touched the ball was my right index finger. The ball hit the finger, knocked it sideways, and broke it in the joint at my hand.
That finger remained pointed west while the rest of the fingers on that hand pointed north.
I ran to Coach on the sidelines holding my hand up for him to see. Told him I broke my finger. He glanced at it and said get your ass back out there.
I went in and called my dad to come pick me up and take me to the ER.
My wife has a splint on a broken finger as we speak.
Larry, lucky you didn't lose that finger!

ishmael
06-20-2008, 12:42 AM
I fell, maybe a week ago, in the darkness of stumbling around this place over a pair of shoes. I hit it hard on a strong edge of a wooden couch. Ribs and upper breath.

I was incapacitated for a day and a half. It really hurt! But I rested it, and now it's not back in the pink, but what was probably greenstick fractures in the ribs are now a minor discomfort. It still hurts when I sneezes or laughes.

If I'd gone to the doc, he/she'd have said, "yep, ya stressed some ribs, here's an ace bandage. The will be five hundred dollars."

huisjen
06-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Sorry to hear it Joe.
Ice...
ice....
ice.....