PDA

View Full Version : Full-sized-pick-em-up-trucks

ishmael
06-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I had the Corolla in for service at the dealer today, and while I waited for three hours I had a gander at the lot. Boy, if you need a full-size pickup this must be a time to buy. I'd say half the lot was filled with Toyota Tundras. Nary a new Tacoma in sight. I saw a single new Corolla -- in the showroom.

I also had a conversation with the guy sitting next to me in the waiting room that made me wonder about the vaunted Toyota quality. He had a 2005, low mileage, Tundra in for service. Turns out he needed a new steering rack, and the e-brake assembly was completely frozen and needed replacement. Total bill over 1500 dollars! He'd bought the extended warranty on the rack, but not the e-brake bits.

At three years old neither should be crapping out. The service rep said the rack failure was due to the rough roads here in Maine, to which the fellow(he was an old-fashioned true Mainer) said Keehrist, it's a four by four pick up and you're telling me it can't handle Bangor's potholes? He had a point!

Hwyl
06-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Jack: did you ever call "Click and Clack" (Tom and Ray Magliozzi). I remember listening many years ago, and someone called from Bangor (your bangor, not the real one) and they had a sail boat, the person wanted advice about a truck. Was it you (sorry for thread drift)

Yeadon
06-19-2008, 06:53 PM
This makes me wonder ... has the value of my 2002 Tacoma gone up since gas prices rose? A year ago, it was probably worth $10,500 ... is it now worth, say, $10,600? (Even including depreciation.)

ishmael
06-19-2008, 09:10 PM
It wasn't me, Gareth. I called them once, maybe ten years ago, with a question about the tranny in a Ford van, but they never got back to me.

Yeadon,

I imagine your Tacoma is at least holding steady. When I was looking for a new 'hicle a couple years ago I looked at used Tacomas. Around here they were selling at a premium, and that with gas at maybe two and a half. I've just inherited an '06, regular cab, four by which is sitting on an island in Michigan. On the list this summer. I don't need two vehicles, and though I'd love the Tacoma during our winters this Corolla just pulled 40 in mixed driving, and that's going to be hard to part with. I'd been trying every trick I knew to run it easy, but was rather amazed to measure forty. It might not hold up with repeats.

P.S. Just a FYI, take Click and Clack's list of favored mechanics with a grain of salt. They, apparently, don't vet them. The last time I checked their web site they had a guy listed from my old stomping ground in MA. He was a rip off. I know, he ripped me off for a year before I caught on.

bamamick
06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Without starting a range war, if you want a pick up truck just buy a Ford or a GMC, whatever your preference. No need to do anything fancy or try anything new.

I had a Ford F-150 extended cab that had 240,000 miles on it. I put in a new transmission and wound up giving it to a family in need a couple of years ago. They are still driving it.

I had a Ford Aerostar van that had 189,000 miles on it when we sold it to an elderly couple for $1000. I still see it driving up and down Dauphin Island Parkway.

I have a Ford F-250 diesel right now. It's only got 117,000 miles on it right now but when I take it to the oil change place they always remark that the thing hasn't lost one drop of any fluid in 5,000 miles of use.

What's my secret? I don't have one. I just get the oil changed. Ford and GMC have been doing this a long time. They've got it figured out. I am sure that there are other fine makes of truck out there, but I can tell you exactly what I will do if I ever need another one (odds are the one I've got now will last me with the cost of diesel. That's why I drive a VW GTI to work every day).

Mickey Lake

Tom Montgomery
06-19-2008, 09:36 PM
I have a Ford F-250 diesel right now. It's only got 117,000 miles on it right now but when I take it to the oil change place they always remark that the thing hasn't lost one drop of any fluid in 5,000 miles of use.

What's my secret? I don't have one. I just get the oil changed. Ford and GMC have been doing this a long time. They've got it figured out.I build them. Kentucky Truck Plant. F-250, 350, 450 & 550. We do build a good truck. Judging by the internal quality reports I have seen, Toyota quality isn't what it was a few years ago.

bamamick
06-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Y'all build a 550? You could probably tow the Hoover Dam with a 550.

Mickey Lake

Bob Smalser
06-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Around here we pay more for the Made In Canada F-Series. 400,000 miles isn't unheard of in the diesels. But the 4WD's need front end work every 150 or so.

Nuthin wrong with a Toyota PU, but there's no reason to pay more for one over a Ford.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/2597650/319543127.jpg

ishmael
06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
My favorite vehicle of all time was a '72 Ford E-350 cargo van. It had been through the ringer more than once, and all the systems were so simple! Lousy gas mileage, but it made it up in utility and rarely break-down-ness. I'd hate to have it on the road now because of gas prices, but what a truck! I rebuilt most of the front suspension over a weekend in the street in front of my apartment, with the help and advice of a professor of geology at Hopkins who lived across the alley and was into model As. "Well now, see the wear in that strut? There's plenty of meat left, we can fix that with a brass shim, Here's piece of brass, you've got a grinder, I'll check back this afternoon. :)"

I wouldn't know where to start with this Corolla, and am not into being grease monkey much anymore anyhoo.

Old Sailor
06-20-2008, 06:26 AM
I'm amazed how much more money I have now that I don't have a vehicle.
Old Sailor

brad9798
06-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Get a Dodge Ram ... lifetime powertrain warranty, and can be had for nearly 10k off sticker.

TimH
06-20-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm amazed how much more money I have now that I don't have a vehicle.
Old Sailor

I wish I could lose mine entirely. I dont drive that much anymore...seems a waste to pay all the insurance and crap.
Vehicle ownership is expensive.

Gary E
06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Tim,
Check around with dif insur co's
I've been with the same car insur co since 1983...
Never cost them any money but see the ads on tv all the time... so..I just did as a 'what the hell"
Could not believe the saving... more than 30%...
and yes.. EXACTLY the same covrage

Dan McCosh
06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
This makes me wonder ... has the value of my 2002 Tacoma gone up since gas prices rose? A year ago, it was probably worth $10,500 ... is it now worth, say, $10,600? (Even including depreciation.)

Full size pickups are dying partially because of gas prices, but also due to the collapse of the construction industry. I don't think compact trucks are an alternative as a work truck, if you need full size, and lots of them also are used for work. Haven't seen data, but I think compact trucks are off as well.

Nicholas Scheuer
06-20-2008, 10:26 AM
When the Japanese lfinally figure out how to build full-sized pickup trucks, somebody let me know.

Moby Nick

goodbasil
06-20-2008, 10:57 AM
As I drive along the streets of Vancouver I can't believe how many full-size pick-ups have For Sale signs on them now.

bob winter
06-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Great time to buy a real truck if you need one. Bet a sweet deal could be cut. Can't justify getting rid of my GMC 2500 though. It just keeps on trucking!

Gonzalo
06-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Consumer reports says that Toyota reliability has dropped in the last year or so, since the company has made expansion their #1 priority. In their last auto issue last fall they said that they had to take the Camry off their recommended list for the first time in many years because the reported reliability was so bad.

Gonzalo
06-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Does anyone actually say 'hicle or 'puter or is that just something people write on the internet?

It doesn't even save any keystrokes to write 'hicle because you have to push the shift key to get the apostrophe. Writing 'puter saves one keystroke, but then you have to stop and think about it instead of just typing it out.