PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloading Pistol kits

cs
06-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Looking at the blackpowder thread got me thinking about muzzleloading pistol kits. A long time ago I thought it might be cool to build one just for the heck of it. I went online and looked and man are they expensive. Any good sources?

http://possibleshop.com/images-gunkit/53-42652.jpg

Chad

Milo Christensen
06-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Then you can shoot the pool, the left turning lawnmower, the whatever that's stealing the peaches and have a good home defense in case Mike shows up.

Dutch
06-19-2008, 08:47 AM
I built one just like the one in the picture about 30 years ago. At the time they cost about $30. I still get it out every once in a while and load it with a triple charge of black powder and let er rip.

cs
06-19-2008, 08:55 AM
The one I show up there list at $159.

Little bit much for just something to expirment with.

Chad

Phillip Allen
06-19-2008, 09:01 AM
it looks like a good kit Chad...I haven't looked for a while but the price is probably in line with current prices...I have a suggestion before you begin or decide on which kit:

get a copy of Recreating the American Long Rifle by George Shumway...it removed a lot of confusion for me and also emphasises staying with a "school" of replica...a good read and a wood worker will like the nuances talked about...the difference between elegance and clubbiness

Milo Christensen
06-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Is it possible to obtain an elegant clubbiness? I would have thought clubbiness would be an important element in a muzzleloading pistol in case your only shot didn't do what it was supposed to do and the opponent just kept coming.

Phillip Allen
06-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Is it possible to obtain an elegant clubbiness? I would have thought clubbiness would be an important element in a muzzleloading pistol in case your only shot didn't do what it was supposed to do and the opponent just kept coming.

Even those French clubs they had in the 1600's had elegance...if they belonged to the upper classes

paladin
06-19-2008, 10:16 AM
When I was about 15-16 years old, grandad gave me a Revell (I think) plastic pistol kit for a French dueling pistol.....Mom had it hanging on the wall at home in the bedroom when she and dad passed away...paint long gone from it......Later in life I recognized the lock mechanism as being a spanish design, and the pistol originated in real life from a region in france near the spanish border.....one of the best flint mechanisms ever made.....when I built the first pair of pistols, I used that plastic model as the design, chasing down the lock parts, and having the barrel made by a fellow in Arkansas.....I have updated and refinished those pistols over the years, and they now reside in a custom made box as a pair of duelling pistols on my sisters coffee table...

Canoez
06-19-2008, 10:19 AM
I have updated and refinished those pistols over the years, and they now reside in a custom made box as a pair of duelling pistols on my sisters coffee table...

I won't ask how disputes in your sister's house get resolved. :eek:

paladin
06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Sonny doesn't argue with her...he knows better....

Phillip Allen
06-19-2008, 01:17 PM
When I was about 15-16 years old, grandad gave me a Revell (I think) plastic pistol kit for a French dueling pistol.....Mom had it hanging on the wall at home in the bedroom when she and dad passed away...paint long gone from it......Later in life I recognized the lock mechanism as being a spanish design, and the pistol originated in real life from a region in france near the spanish border.....one of the best flint mechanisms ever made.....when I built the first pair of pistols, I used that plastic model as the design, chasing down the lock parts, and having the barrel made by a fellow in Arkansas.....I have updated and refinished those pistols over the years, and they now reside in a custom made box as a pair of duelling pistols on my sisters coffee table...

Who in Arkansas?

cs
06-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I think it would be fun to put one of those kits together, but not $159 fun.

Chad

Phillip Allen
06-19-2008, 01:41 PM
look at it this way Chad...100 hours to put the kit together (properly) equals $1.60/hour ...where can you purchace entertainment at that price...

Houndog
06-19-2008, 01:51 PM
$159 is cheap. I've seen kits costing upward of $500 and you have to do your own drilling and tapping for the screws and bolts. Not only that but the barrel and the stock comes separate.
The black powder hobby can get real expensive.

Bert Langley
06-19-2008, 02:21 PM
If you want to come a little south Chad I have a flintlock pistol, a couple of cap and ball guns and several rifles and smoothbores we can shoot. At least you can try before you buy.

cs
06-19-2008, 02:33 PM
That might be pretty cool.

BTW I got to listen to you talk on the news the other night. Can't remeber excatly what it was about but they had a recorded remark from you.

Chad

Bert Langley
06-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Did another on camera interview today. Should be on tonight.

boylesboats
06-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Chad,
They are not going to get any cheaper.. I got a partal finished gun here waiting for it barrel, I got $200.00 invested in it already.
Did you checked Dixie Gun Works (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/)? They are in your state Union City, Tennessee..

cs
06-19-2008, 07:39 PM
I'll check that out. Just thought it might be an interesting sideline.

Bert I missed the evening news. They might show part of it in the morning.

Chad

Phillip Allen
06-19-2008, 08:28 PM
what's the interview about?

Bert Langley
06-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Nothing much fun. I work for Georgia's Environmental Protection Division. A neighborhood in North Georgia just figured out that their sewage is treated in an oxidation pond and discharged to a nearby creek. Pond has always been in compliance with treatment standards but turns ou the citizens thought they were tied into a municipal plant. Worried about their kids playing in the creek etc. The fact is that the creek has a high fecal coliform level from all the cows along it and is not a good choice for kids to play in period. The pond does not really add to the fecal level. Really it is a non-issue that has gotten a lot of press for some reason.

cs
06-20-2008, 07:35 AM
I missed it again. And Bert you know what I think about you Georiga EPD people. ;):D

Just joking you know, thought I better add that so we don't get our permit kicked back. :D

BTW Who is the contact now for permitting in North GA? One of our projects, one I'm not working on, is in North GA and it should be part of a larger permit package and the boss was asking me the other day who was the contact at GEPD for storm water permiting.

Chad

Bert Langley
06-20-2008, 08:03 AM
That would be me or Tony Campbell 770-387-4900

cs
06-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Bert if he hasn't worked out the storm water issues I may give you a call later today. Like I said we have a project that should be under a bigger project and we just need to make sure everything is in order before going to the city to get our building permit.

Chad