PDA

View Full Version : rain and varnish

casem
03-30-2004, 07:15 AM
What are everyone's thoughts on varnishing inside while it's raining outside?

Ian McColgin
03-30-2004, 07:34 AM
Negatory.

Mrleft8
03-30-2004, 07:35 AM
Certainly better than varnishing outside when it's raining outside....

casem
03-30-2004, 09:11 AM
What would happen if I did it anyway? Is it the humidity or something? Problem is it is supposed to rain all week and I need to get my varnishing done to stay on schedule with my April 16th launch date.

Only other thing I could do is paint (interlux Brightsides one part polyurethane). Is that okay to do while it is raining (the rain would be outside, and the boat would be inside)?

Wild Dingo
03-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Ian McColgin:
Negatory.Can you explain the reasons why Ian? Id have thought that to varnish inside while raining outside would be the right way to go... unless your thinking of possible humidity or perhaps that it may be too cold inside or damp perhaps moisture in the air?

Im quite intregued

Bruce Hooke
03-30-2004, 11:25 AM
The humidity can cause the finish to do undesirable things but having successfully varnished under cover but basically outside in very foggy weather I'd guess that you could probably get away with varnishing inside when it's raining outside -- the humidity would be about the same. Add a little Japan Drier to the varnish. If you can heat the space a little that will greatly reduce the relative humidity.

Painting would be safer than varnishing so if you can hold off on the varnishing and focus on painting that would be safer.

Ian McColgin
03-30-2004, 05:13 PM
I read too hastily. Assuming reasonably controled humidity or good use of Japan dryer as mentioned above, no problem.

Like an idiot, I was thinking of putting the varnish down IN the rain, which, like an idiot, I've tried. Well, I was living in Oregon at the time. What choise had I?

buhmkin
03-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Good thread. Until I got to Ian's last message there I was sure you were talking about varnishing IN the rain. Too funny.

And if the boat's to wet to varnish when it's raining, your rib ends are hating you. Honeywell makes a radiant oil filled electric heater, it's passive and relatively safe to keep on all the time.

Maybe that's a good test, if your varnish won't kick in the boats normal environment, it's time to think about a heater regime.

buhmkin
03-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Good thread. Until I got to Ian's last message there I was sure you were talking about varnishing IN the rain. Too funny.

And if the boat's too wet to varnish when it's raining, your rib ends are hating you. Honeywell makes a radiant oil filled electric heater, it's passive and relatively safe to keep on all the time.

Maybe that's a good test, if your varnish won't kick inside the boat in normal conditions, it's time to think about a heater regime.

[ 03-30-2004, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: buhmkin ]

casem
03-30-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm glad that got clarified; yes I am varnishing inside. The reason I'm asking is one of my books, Chris Kulszicki's "Kayak Shop", suggests not to varnish (inside) if its raining outside. One of the guys at work, an x-boat builder, said the same thing.

It rained a little tonight so I varnished the keelson and garboards as a test. I'll let you know how it turns out. If there is a problem I guess I can live without having a piano-like finish in the bilge.

[ 03-30-2004, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: casem ]

Wild Wassa
03-30-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by casem:
"What are everyone's thoughts on varnishing inside while it's raining outside?"

Varnishing while it is raining, or if the humidity is high, can result in a loss of gloss. Or give irregular gloss levels. The loss of gloss, happens a few hours after painting.

Irregular gloss levels are very ugly.

Warren.

imported_Conrad
03-31-2004, 01:03 AM
Here's the real issue- you can varnish inside, assuming rain outside, if the temperature is rising or steady. But if you varnish when there is a lot of humidity in the air, (i.e. it's raining outside), and the temperature falls, you're more likely to find condensation on your finish, and the gloss damaged/diminished. The same is true for painting. We paint/varnish all the time here in the NW while it's raining out, but do it in the morning while the temperature is likely to rise, because as soon as the temps drop in the late afternoon/evening, condensation will form even in an enclosed space. Most varnishes need 3-4 hours on drying before being exposed to condensation, and double that to withstand direct water/drops.

casem
03-31-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

My varnish turned out great. I wish all my varnishing could look so good. I did it in the garage at about 6 pm last night and left the heater on til about midnight so the temperature stayed constant at about 60 degrees, so I guess that helped. I think I'll do a little more tonight, despite the rain (which they are forecasting until next week).