PDA

View Full Version : Predicting road rage with bumper stickers

John of Phoenix
06-17-2008, 11:22 AM
This study says bumper stickers are the equivalent of "territorial markers" and that stickers may indicate an easily provoked driver.
That's the surprising conclusion of a recent study by Colorado State University social psychologist William Szlemko. Drivers of cars with bumper stickers, window decals, personalized license plates and other "territorial markers" not only get mad when someone cuts in their lane or is slow to respond to a changed traffic light, but they are far more likely than those who do not personalize their cars to use their vehicles to express rage -- by honking, tailgating and other aggressive behavior.

It does not seem to matter whether the messages on the stickers are about peace and love -- "Visualize World Peace," "My Kid Is an Honor Student" -- or angry and in your face -- "Don't Mess With Texas," "My Kid Beat Up Your Honor Student."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/15/AR2008061501963_pf.html

Any experience from any Bilge Rats?
Who has “marked their territory”?

Vince Brennan
06-17-2008, 11:32 AM
"Keep honking.... I'm reloading..."

Wild Dingo
06-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Saw a harley as I went up to Perth on the freeway today with a sticker on the back mudguard "fluck with my bike I'll fluck with your head shytehead"... mind you he wasnt all that happy when inadvertantly I sorta cut him off a tad... just a little mind... well there was this truck see... aahh yeah alright I saw the sticker and I just had to mess with his head... anyways he roared up alongside me giving me the finger so I used my own and pointed to the bullbar and raised both hands saying "Do you REALLY want to do something stupid?" as tuff as they think they are harleys really are no match for a bullbar... he decided that his giving me the finger was punishment enough as I tottled right up close behind him smiling my best maniac sort of smile

Another I saw the other day was on the back of a Range Rover... "Dent me go on I DARE YOU" and given the number of dents and scratches over the thing I dare say many took his dare... what he reacted like is anyones guess but on passing him I think he may have been one of those Bruthy types... you know the type? yellow hair perfectly groomed nice pretty pink shirt and holds his ciggy with his little pinky sticking straight up... yeah thats the one you know the type!! gay as a row of circus tents as we used to say... anyway many a person had taken his dare up from the look of it.

Some I dont believe though I think their owners are just plain liars or else live in fantasy land like those ones that say "My other car is a Jag" or "My other car is a Rolls Royce" liars or dreamers I reckon... but I did believe the one this tiny dark haired sheila was driving around in "Dont blame me its HIS bloody car!" I mean this sheila was someone who should have been and probably does drive one of those tiny hyundi things not a near on wrecked billowing smoke and bolts old falcon... I mean she was damned near gorgeous done up to the nines and all that no she really didnt deserve to be driving HIS car... poor wee thing ;)

Ive only got one sticker on my car... "Broome the center of the universe"... truest sticker there is I reckon :cool: ;)

Cheers
Shane

Popeye
06-17-2008, 11:42 AM
well , not a bumper sticker , but posted to a school kindergarten door ..

'any children not picked up on time will be given a cappuccino and a free kitten '

Canoez
06-17-2008, 11:44 AM

'any children not picked up on time will be given a cappuccino and a free kitten '

Saw that on the door to a store that sold lots of fragile figurines. They had another sign that said "You break it, you bought it!"

Vince Brennan
06-17-2008, 11:44 AM
The best sticker I ever saw was on the car of a good friend and superb musician who at one time lost everything to drugs:

"My other car is up my nose."

He said it was just one more reminder to stay sober.

paladin
06-17-2008, 12:05 PM
NO stickers..but personalized license plates "N4EZV"
On the back of my truck was a sticker that said "Insured by Smith and Wesson"....was stopped in Tennesse I think, on the way back from Oklahoma, hauling a trailer, one light on trailer was blinking, bad wiring...got stopped....wrote me a warning ticket, saw the sticker, and asked me if I really had a Smith and Wesson in the truck.....I said no, I prefer the Browning P-35 Hi-Power"....he looks at me very seriously and says "for real"....I said yup, carried it for years in Vietnam and can easily hit what I aim at".....
He said "do you know that's illegal"...I said, Probably, just about everything else is..." He suggested I get the tail light fixed, and he noted it was a rental trailer...

Gonzalo
06-17-2008, 12:10 PM
The only bumper sticker I've ever had was from the 1968 election. It said, "Alfred E. Neuman for President."

Yeadon
06-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I've only ever had one bumper sticker. It was on a previous truck, and said:

The road to hell is paved with Republicans.

I don't have too much of that road rage, not like the dingo above.

Hughman
06-17-2008, 12:34 PM
I like this one this week:

"why are we in this hand basket, and where are we going?"

mmd
06-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Not exactly a bumper sticker, but I was at a car show with my daughter on Sunday past and one of the cars had a small foil sticker on the rad mount that said, "Let's make a deal: You don't rub your hands over my car and I won't rub my hands over your girlfriend..."

ron ll
06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I was on jury duty once and one of the attorneys' first question to all prospective jurors was, "Do you have any bumper stickers on your car and if so what do they say?". Amazing how many jurors he dismissed with that question.

Joe Dupere
06-17-2008, 12:55 PM
I must be on the low end of his bell curve. I have two bumper stickers, a couple of window decals and I've had personalized plates for about 15 years. I've never had a speeding ticket, never been in an accident. If I feel like going slow down the back roads, I'll pull over every now and again to let people get past me. If it looks like someone's going to cut in front of me, I'll slow down and let them do it. Life's too short to waste it on road rage.

Joe, FPoP

Thermo
06-17-2008, 01:11 PM
I put an NSS 'yellow bat sticker" on my truck so if I was ever stuck in a cave somewhere, the sticker on the parked truck nearby would clue them in. It's like a 'diver down' flag for caves. You've probably seen them before.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:wdHkvPmc0c0MPM:http://www.innermountainoutfitters.net/img/catalog/thumb_30-4112.gif

huisjen
06-17-2008, 03:11 PM
When I drove a '71 Datsun Pick-up, I had 2" reflective tape all around the bed, just under the rail, so that I'd be seen at night if the lights all failed. That electrical system wasn't too good...

Now I just have a strip of it at the top of the tailgate on the Tacoma. I put it on, then put a layer of clear tape over it, to prevent chafe from the cap tailgate window durring my limited time when I have the cap on.

I also have a small Desert Storm Vet sticker and an Obama sticker.

Captain Blight
06-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm between cars right now but my last vehicle had a couple sitckers on the tailgate, a Darwinfish and a "What Would Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?" sticker. Nothin too extraordinary.

John of Phoenix
06-17-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm between cars right now but my last vehicle had a couple sitckers on the tailgate, a Darwinfish and a "What Would Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?" sticker. Nothin too extraordinary.

That's the kind of "In your face" stuff that scares the pee outa me. :D

huisjen
06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
When someone gets angry at me in traffic, I find the Vulcan salute to be a very useful gesture: a very emotionless "have a nice day" with only the slightest bit of snarky passive-agressive overtone.

Thermo
06-17-2008, 05:24 PM
When I drove a '71 Datsun Pick-up, I had 2" reflective tape all around the bed, just under the rail, so that I'd be seen at night if the lights all failed. That electrical system wasn't too good...

I had one of those old Datsun 720 diesel trucks for a while. The taillights were so dim I once got pulled over for not having any, until the policeman got closer and saw that they were there.

huisjen
06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
720??
Try 521, a variant of the 510 wagon.

PeterSibley
06-17-2008, 05:47 PM
My old Toyota ute has "Organ Donors Save Lives " sticker, not really that aggressive , I'd have thought ?

botebum
06-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Only bumper stickers I've ever had were "My Son Is A U.S. Marine" and "My Kid Is An Honor Student At ***** Elementary School"
Am I a killer? Am I prone to road rage? Well, if you think so then kiss my ass!:D

Doug

Bill R
06-17-2008, 06:06 PM
"Keep Honking. I'm reloading"

"Driver only carries $50 in ammunition"

Seriously- nothing on my company truck, and just a window sticker on my car that has the twin's school name and mascot it. Nothing on SWMBO's van.

shamus
06-17-2008, 06:56 PM
My old Toyota ute has "Organ Donors Save Lives " sticker, not really that aggressive , I'd have thought ?

Quite aggressive I think. But subtle.

I don't think the resaearchers have really thought this through. "Visualise world peace" is an order. This guy thinks he has special insight, and should order you around. "My kid is an honors student" means "My genes are superior and I want you to know this is why I deserve special treatment." They don't give any examples of stickers just intended to cause amusement.

Nicholas Carey
06-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Only bumper stickers I've ever had were "My Son Is A U.S. Marine" and "My Kid Is An Honor Student At ***** Elementary School"I always liked this one:

My kid can beat up your honor student:D

botebum
06-17-2008, 07:00 PM

I don't think the resaearchers have really thought this through. "Visualise world peace" is an order. This guy thinks he has special insight, and should order you around. "My kid is an honors student" means "My genes are superior and I want you to know this is why I deserve special treatment." They don't give any examples of stickers just intended to cause amusement.Uhh... You're kiddin' right?:rolleyes:

Doug

Vince Brennan
06-17-2008, 07:02 PM
"Visualize Whirled Peas"

Katherine
06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
http://www.prankplace.com/stickers_funny.htm

:D

SamSam
06-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Back in the proper time I had one that said "The Ayatollah is an Assahola"

shamus
06-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Uhh... You're kiddin' right?:rolleyes:

Doug

Duh;)

botebum
06-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Duh;)Good. Fer a minute there I thought my septic has spoiled your water supply.

Doug

Katherine
06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
[http://www.prankplace.com/images/stickers/85.jpg

The Bigfella
06-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey - now there's a thought. What about all the graffiti that car manufacturers whack all over the back of cars?

I was behind some Toyota crapmobile the other day and I think I counted 7 different badges on the back of it.

Can we sue them for encouraging road rage?

shamus
06-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Good. Fer a minute there I thought my septic has spoiled your water supply.

Doug
Every little helps in a bad drought like we got..

David Tabor (sailordave)
06-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Guy at work had a sticker...

I'm not ARROGANT...
Just better than you.

Another One
06-17-2008, 07:55 PM

I saw it with an espresso and a large breed puppy. :o

Oh, and personalized veteran plates, "Herkey" - NOT the team mascot from Idaho or Iowa or whatever - and a Doves for Peace magnet I got at the Moosewood Restaurant last spring.

Mrleft8
06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
I had one on my old truck that I got at the surf shop....."If it swells, ride it".....For some reason my sister scraped it off when I loaned her the truck while I was out in California..... She also spun the main bearing and fried the valves.... I shoulda known not to loan her my VW Dasher wagon after that.....That was a great car..... Got over 50MPG..... Din't have any bumper stickers though..... Stupid sister.... ;)

botebum
06-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Are all your sisters stupid or is it just one with a recurring role?

Doug

BETTY-B
06-17-2008, 08:09 PM
I just put a new one on the truck.

I'M PRO SALMON
AND I VOTE!

Its a damn removal sticker on the lower Snake River.
www.wildsalmon.org (http://www.wildsalmon.org)

With caring for the envornment in mind, I must be super ragey...

David Tabor (sailordave)
06-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Stupid sister.... ;)

Tell us again WHY you are going to her wedding???:confused::rolleyes:

Mrleft8
06-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Are all your sisters stupid or is it just one with a recurring role?

Doug
There's just the re-occuring one....:D ;)

David Tabor (sailordave)
06-17-2008, 08:22 PM
If she's anything like a certain XWife or several other women, she probably thinks the problem is w/ YOU.:rolleyes::p:D

Mrleft8
06-17-2008, 08:29 PM
If she's anything like a certain XWife or several other women, she probably thinks the problem is w/ YOU.:rolleyes::p:D
Yeah..... Like I didn't tell her a YEAR ago that this was the ONE weekend in the whole damn year I had something planned..... So it's MY fault the WBS is being held this weekend.....Her response was...."So have your party another weekend"...... Grrrrrr....... Nevermind.....

Mrleft8
06-17-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm gonna print up a bumper sticker that says "I can call my sister stupid, But you can call her stupid too"..... :D

pila
06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
I thought about a sticker:: "welcome to the next third world country"

A few years ago I saw a brunette driving a red sports car, with a sticker that said "wine me dine me sixty-nine me"

That car was too fast for me to catch though.

George Jung
06-17-2008, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't dream of putting a bumper sticker on my Porsche 911; what's wrong with you people?

Wild Dingo
06-17-2008, 09:20 PM
I've only ever had one bumper sticker. It was on a previous truck, and said:

The road to hell is paved with Republicans.

I don't have too much of that road rage, not like the dingo above.

Hang on a tick flied lice!!! I dont have any road rage!!... I WAS COOL... I mean I have the BULLBAR... whats a measly (if mean looking) biker going to do with a bloody great steel BULLBAR up his clacker?? NOTHING!!! Hes going to behave and ride of into the sunset either that or his bike becomes enmeshed with the bitchumine... no rage no anger just well Im bigga than you I can if you choose hurt you I would prefer not to but dont be a friggin wally pullin yer pud when a BULLBAR is up yer rought sport... thats all

Heck what have I done to be having road rage over?... Just mindin me own business is all... just cause he decided he needed more road than he actually did and he chose to NOT get out of the road of the bloke in the 4x4 with the BULLBAR was not my fault... I mean thats why bikes have handlebars right? to MOVE out of the friggin way!! sorta like steerin wheels eh! ;)

But no I wasnt raged at all... pretty happy actually cause I was on me way to have some retail therapy and buy some tools... HE had the only problem as I saw it :p

Actually when I see someone going off in their car raging around swearin stickin the finger up getting all sweated and angry with everything I tend to crack up... well if theyre big sorta fellas I make sure I have escape route 1 through 5 mapped out before I crack up and now with the 4x4 thats been reduced to ER 1 through 3... I mean a curb? give me a break!! :D

Another one I see a fair bit of is "Honk if your horney" Yeah right another friggin lie!! I mean I see that one and blast away honkin like theres no flamin tomorrow but do any of these young chickybabes in these cars stop??? NO they jolly well dont!! Honk if your horney indeed I mean WHY??? if theyre not going to stop and help you with your horneyness then why bother asking me to honk? IM ALWAYS HORNEY damnit!! :mad:

Some rippers out there though eh :cool:

paladin
06-18-2008, 01:48 AM
Dunno if any of youse guys remember this story, a couple or three years back. Dude had a typical family daddy sedan, two stickers on the car, one on the windshield that said Beretta.....and one on the back glass with the same sticker. He was driving the speed limit down Indian Head Highway just south of the beltway on the Maryland side of the Potomac.
He was suddenly "buzzed" by a half dozen guys on motorcycles running alongside and slapping his car. A couple got in front of him and slowed down, with one on either side slapping on the car...they kept ii up for a couple of miles, had him boxed in.....he finally rolled down the glass and yelled at the guys "I've got a gun"....they suddenly roared ahead of him and blocked the road, stopped their bikes, and a pair of them pulled out a couple of big guns, The fellow couldn't go anywhere so he stopped the car and opened the door. The leader and another biker pulled a couple of guns from under their vests saying "we have guns too".....and as another biker was removing a short shotgun from the bags on his bike, the driver stood up and pulled an MP-5 with long magazine from the front seat and cut loose. Killed the leader and the idiot next to him, and shot the hell outta the other guys.....cops came, surveyed the scene, asked hime for the weapon and to show up at the station to file a report...went to trial, jury deliberated less than an hour...no charges for him......
Maybe the guys thought the stickers were for a tv series.

doorstop
06-18-2008, 02:41 AM
I have two on the back canopy of my ute. "Less nets more fish" is one and the other a Scottish friend gave me..
"AWAYANBILEYERHEID"

PeterSibley
06-18-2008, 02:53 AM

:D:D .

The Bigfella
06-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Go away and boil your own head!

Spin_Drift
06-18-2008, 03:58 AM
On the back of my Land Cruiser,

"Alaska Girls Kick Ass"

michigangeorge
06-18-2008, 06:54 AM
Formerly on my Jeep - now on my garden tractor : "GET OFF MY TAIL - I'M NOT IN HEAT!

Sam F
06-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Sticker on the left end of the bumper says:
"Honk if you're impulsive"

Sticker on the right says:
"Honk again if you're repulsive"

Sam F
06-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Then there's vanity plates:
Seen on an aggressively driven van on the Washington Beltway:

ANIL8U