PDA

View Full Version : Boat registration

Banjo
08-18-2003, 06:10 AM
G'day all,

I did a search on this but came up empty.
This must have come up many times before so please be easy on me :D

What is required to get your home built boat registered? In Australia that is.
And insurance for it, do you need a survey to establish value?

I read something a long time ago about the procedure in the States but knowing our special breed of burocrats (sp) it's probably more complicated.

MarkC
08-18-2003, 06:21 AM
Wouldn't the easiest be to ask the marine insurers 'Club Marine'? I found them the cheapest (in NSW) and I'm sure you could ask them about the proceedures (check out their web site).

In NSW the 'Waterways' website (also in Victoria??) had all the info about registering and all the other monetary gifts the Goverment requires before you can enjoy your boat.

Boat Owners Association - maybe they can help?

Boat Industry Association and what about 'Yachting Victoria' (the people who give out the sail numbers and such could also have good information).

Cheers
Mark

Banjo
08-18-2003, 06:40 AM
Thanks Mark,
You seem well versed on Aussie regs for someone in SW Germany? smile.gif Are you from these parts?

But your point is well taken, and that was my problem. I just didn't have a clue on where to start looking for the right advice and regs.
Thanks again.

MarkC
08-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Yep I'm an Aussie. I like to help with this because I know how difficult it can be to find all the information you need.

But I cant take all the credit - it was my well organised German girlfriend who made a large folder of all the information for our folk boat in Sydney - maintenance quotes, engine overhalls, regos, insurance.

Other gems we had to discover were finding a mooring, buying a mooring apparatus, selling a mooring apparatus! (let me know if you need any more info/tips)

It was fun - we were stung by some (the mooring comes to mind and the yacht brokers)and helped no end by others (the diesel mechanics).

New set of rules here in Germany - they will not accept any of our sailing 'qualifications' from the AYF and the $2,000 plus we spent on lessons, navigation lessons etc will have to re-spent, plus more! We must start from scratch. Must be properly licenced for Deutschland!! registered for different lakes! (the Cost!)

Please appreciate boating in Australia - I used to grumble about the price - but it is more expensive here!

Cheers
Mark

Jeff Robinson
08-18-2003, 07:16 PM
Mark,

I registered our Golant Gaffer less than a year ago - VicRoads is the agent that will take your money. They are not interested if there is no engine, and if there is, they will want the serial number of the engine.

We took third party insurance through Club Marine and I got a quote for comprehensive from the company that Whitworths are agents for - I forget the name. At that time the boat was complete but not launched and they were satisfied with my estimate of the value.

Hope this is useful.

JR

Banjo
08-19-2003, 04:51 AM
Thanks again Mark, it sounds like zee Germans like to have plenty of rules to generate revenue.
I Do appreciate boating in Aus, when compaired to other countries I recon we are still the "Lucky Country".

Jeff thank you to, all info noted down for later when needed.
How is the Gollant, I got a lot of info on that design last year. It lookes like a real "rough water" boat but a bit too deep in the keel department for my likely sailing grounds.