PDA

View Full Version : Almost quit this morning.

bamamick
06-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Too much stress, too many hours. Feeling abused and unappreciated. It happens. Been coming on for a long time and the string is stretched pretty tightly right now. Sat down on a curb and gave it some thought, decided enough was enough, and by the time I made it back to my office I had given up and decided I had to stay. Too many people depend on me.

God, I am miserable right now.

Mickey Lake

hokiefan
06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Hang in there Mickey.

A supervisor I used to work with would say, "It can go on like this for days and days, then it'll get bad.":eek:

He was always good for one of what we called "Emory's country colloquialisms" about odd ball things like turning the mule to the left, and other such fascinating things.

Cheers,

Bobby

High C
06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Peaceful thoughts coming your way from Bayou Faciane. Hang in there, buddy. :)

Yeadon
06-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Man, sounds like a tough situation.

Just curious, but what do you do for a living, Mickey?

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
06-16-2008, 01:25 PM
The only thing worse than working is........ not working.
Line up another job and quit when you're ready.
Don't get mad get even.

Tar Devil
06-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I do feel for you Mickey, and hope things get better.

Don't wish to be unkind, but what I'd give to know I'll have a job in 30 days... stressful or not.

Henning 4148
06-16-2008, 01:40 PM
What Mr. Know it all says. Find an offer for a new job and then decide if you want to stay or change. It's a market. Trying to find a new job will also tell you something about your value on the market.

pcford
06-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Too much stress, too many hours. Feeling abused and unappreciated. It happens. Been coming on for a long time and the string is stretched pretty tightly right now. Sat down on a curb and gave it some thought, decided enough was enough, and by the time I made it back to my office I had given up and decided I had to stay. Too many people depend on me.

God, I am miserable right now.

Mickey Lake

To pull a page from the newspaper....I reckon Tim Russert had a lot of people depending on him.....life is too short.

bamamick
06-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Thank you, kind friends. Much appreciated.

Mickey Lake

cs
06-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I understand where you are coming from Mickey.

I've said this before, but there has been many times I've hit 75 south and just wanted to keep going.

But we need to keep our eyes on the finish line and keep plugging on.

Chad

Gonzalo
06-16-2008, 02:35 PM
When an old boss of mine was having a bad day, he would always say, "I can't decide whether to kill myself or go bowling." Don't know why it was funny, but it always took some of the tension away.

htom
06-16-2008, 02:41 PM
I hate days like that, and the weeks are worse. Hang in there, update the resume, look on the side, decide.

Thermo
06-16-2008, 02:48 PM
I had many days like that in a job I had a few years ago. It was a nice job for five years, until after the merger, then it went downhill fast.

I'd talk myself out of quitting every day. It got harder and harder until one day I decided to finally go, only to find that they'd fired me that same day.

willmarsh3
06-16-2008, 02:52 PM
But we need to keep our eyes on the finish line and keep plugging on.

I've had three colleagues near my age have their road suddenly end over the past 4 years. A fourth is finding his road narrowing down.
Weigh your options and act but by all means keep life balanced.

Gonzalo
06-16-2008, 03:06 PM
It was a nice job for five years, until after the merger, then it went downhill fast. Yeah, I've had several jobs that went to heck after a merger. You know when you see a merger coming that it is going to be bad for almost everyone.

Spin_Drift
06-16-2008, 04:07 PM
I empathize with you on how difficult it is to continue when you feel like that and I respect you for thinking of your family who depends on your income to survive... This speaks of your character...

Mickey, it's sound advice here...update your resume, look elsewhere and have something better lined up before you quit.

You are a fine man...:)

Mrleft8
06-16-2008, 04:54 PM
An afternoon/evening at Chez Lefty (AKA "THE PUB") will soothe your frazzled nerves, and cure all that ails you. Come into the light my son..... :D

Bill R
06-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Mickey, I understand where you are coming from. I was that way a few years ago working for a previous employer. Very long story short, after getting out of the industry, I am back in making almost 3x as much working for a great company.

Keep your options open and start (quietly) looking for another job. Is self-employment an option for you?

S/V Laura Ellen
06-16-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm starting a new job today. After 25 years in the same department, 30 years with the same company, I thought it was time for a change. Same company, different department. I'm now a Process Control Reliability Advisor (just don't ask me what that means).

Hwyl
06-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Hmmm, multiple posts came up, I deleted one and they all went away.

Anyway i wrote:

I seem to have mixed up the two meanings of "career" in my life, so I can't offer any advice.

I am focusing on Mystic right now and meeting you is one of the facets that I'm looking forward to (I can speak "southern").

Let's see if we can arrange a sail, have to talk to Jim Conlin and put your dislike of multihulls on the back burner.

Captain Blight
06-16-2008, 05:25 PM
As your attorney, I and I advise you to come an' spark dis fire for de greater glory of Jah and ride de Mothership home to Zion, brah.

Your job might still suck but you flat won't give a damn for the rest of the evening. Which might be what you need.

Paul Pless
06-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Awww man, Mickey. I don't have any better advice than what's been posted already. (I thought Gareth's was especially good.;)) But I can and am sending sending you best wishes.

David Tabor (sailordave)
06-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Hell Mickey, it's only 11 more days til Mystic; that'll put you in a good mood for at least a couple of weeks and then there will be something else to make ya happy... You are staying at the Whaler right?

Joe (SoCal)
06-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Almost quit this morning too. TMI on here to go into it suffice to say a bad market makes everyone cranky.

John B
06-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Mickey, I said in the last thread on this ( similar) subject words to the effect that it doesn't make economic sense , let alone all the other aspects,for an employer to have to replace a key person like you at short notice, or any notice come to that.
You may well be someone who appears or presents to be 'doing just fine' and happy with your work when obviously you're being overloaded and stressed past the point of no return.

I'd be approaching it either one of two ways , or perhaps both.
First is via 'hints' to whoever you feel closest to in your senior management. They need to know you're not happy and the reasons why.
Second , is a meeting to discuss it.

J. Dillon
06-16-2008, 06:58 PM
A tough call to make. Who am I to give advise.

But I'll tell what my daughter did in a stress full job with a tyrannical immediate supervisor.

She sent out resumes to every outfit she could. In two months she got a better job with better people and for more money.

She took a chance and won.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

JD

Nanoose
06-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Yes, checking options is good....many losing their jobs is good to remember in these times....and if you're going to make a move, do it sooner rather than later (age/career combinations)...

Lew Barrett
06-16-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm with the "life's short" crowd too. Keep your options open and keep reminding yourself "I have value." One door closes, another opens. Living in fear is no life at all.

skuthorp
06-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Bamamick, Try a refocus. Even through the years at the ad agency and 6am to 11pm days I kept in mind that my 'job' was a means to an end. My hobby then was restoration bookbinding, and if asked that was what I told people I did. Everyone's got an old book, and the conversation was there, not about my 'job'. The change of emphasis kept me sane and allowed me to see the ridiculous side of advertising from the outside as it were. Hope this helps somewhat
Jeff

PeterSibley
06-16-2008, 08:19 PM
From way left field ........do you need all the money you earn ?

paladin
06-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Mickey...dunno if this helps...after returning to thr states I was put in a position like that were the job had to be completed by a drop dead date....I was a salaried employee working 40 hour weeks, but to get the job done on schedule, everyone had to work an hour or two extra each dat and saturdays with no overtime pay. The company deliberately accepted those jobs. After a while some folks walked off, so some of us were doubled up, and a few more quit.....then I said bye bye,,,,,a couple of weeks later they agreed to start paying the overtime, I demanded my back pay, they said no.....clearly they were losing the contract. Finally I agreed to come back as a consultant,,they signed the contract......I arranged for 6 other guys to work with me and they as contractors also....we finished the job on time, tested and signed for, then the idiots said that we would have to renegotiate our contract......I had an idea that it would happen, in less than 24 hours we had a lien on the deliverable that had gone to the client, we had it returned from the D.I.A. (Defense Intelligence Agency) to a rented warehouse, padlocked. They tried to deliver a company check 48 hours later...we turned it down. Contract clled for certified check delivered to authorized representative at the bank that the check was drawn on.....check was cashed, and not without a wee bit of hassle (they were a little short in the account and the check would have been invalid if we took it there). They bid on the follow on contract and I convinced a small minority owned company to bid on it using my team, and we would also do the accounting etc....we completed that project and everybody made money

Wild Dingo
06-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah Mickey I almost quit this mornin to :cool: ...then shyte happened again so I bought another packet :( ...tomorrow will be a good day ;)

Only bit of advice I can offer?... Dont sweat the little things mate... we all tend to make schooners out of dinghys but really mate just breath and let the small things go focus on the bigger issues in your life and let the other shyte flow away

All the best with it
Shane

bamamick
06-17-2008, 03:29 PM
What good friends. Thank you all so much.

Backround information: I run chemical plants. Five of them. There used to be three supervisors and eleven guys doing what one supervisor and seven guys do now. Our production breaks new records every year and right now every one of my plants is running at over 120% of design. To the contrary of what I may have made people think about my job, my bosses are not at all tyrannical. Quite the opposite. They are good men who would put things right if they only could, but they can't because we are basically owned by a board of directors in Germany who have stockholders to appease. It's business. I'd bet that most of you can relate.

I just had a bad day. That happens when you average 75 hours a week. But Mystic is coming up and I have a new ancient Finn to make plans for and my family loves me. My dad went in for another biopsy this morning and I am praying about that, but today I am at home for the first time in seventeen days, had lunch with my wife, cut some grass in the swamp, and now I am going to watch a movie and chill out in the air conditioning with the dogs.

I never get down for too long. My life has been a happy one and I have been blessed in so many ways. I just wanted to say 'thank you' to everyone here. Having you guys to talk to has always been counted among my blessings.

Mickey Lake

Mrleft8
06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
No problem Mssr. Lake. That's what we do here.... ;)

Tanbark Spanker
06-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Wage slavery is mentioned in the Protocols of the Wise Elders of Zion in it's original form, Marice Joly's 'Politics of Machavelli.' I think Maurice was related to the Du Ponts ...probably the Dows, too.

Noam Chomsky on wage slavery: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aYt_fAEzmo

As a public employee and service worker, I've had the benefit of union representation since I was eighteen. Norway has some real happy workers.

hokiefan
06-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Bamamick, Try a refocus. Even through the years at the ad agency and 6am to 11pm days I kept in mind that my 'job' was a means to an end. My hobby then was restoration bookbinding, and if asked that was what I told people I did. Everyone's got an old book, and the conversation was there, not about my 'job'. The change of emphasis kept me sane and allowed me to see the ridiculous side of advertising from the outside as it were. Hope this helps somewhat
Jeff

Hey Jeff, I know you wrote this for Mickey, but this is amazing advice for all of us. Thanks,

Bobby

seanz
06-17-2008, 04:11 PM
cut some grass in the swampPut up a sign saying "ecologically valuable remnant habitat and indigenous vegetation reserve" it'll save you a lot of work.
:))

Not only but also...look after yourself, you're the only one of you that you and everyone else has got.

And it's a shame to hear that 'willing worker syndrome' exists at your level of management, (it shouldn't exist at any level) think of a frog in a pot of water that is slowly heating up, you know the story.
I know people who have been in a similar situation to you Mickey and when they finally left the job two full time positions had to be advertised to replace their one.
Stuffed if I know how to negotiate your way out of it, short of dropping hints about how long the German chem eng managers work a week, I have no good ideas. I've worked long hours in the past and at 60hrs per week you feel like you've done enough (OK it never stopped me from working more if it was there) but just to give you (and other readers) some perspective......half, yes half, of the hours you average (75pw) would be considered a fulltime position in some countries/industries. So it would seem we might be able to reduce this question down from hours to dollars.....are you being paid enough to compensate you for doing the equivalent of two jobs and missing out on 30+ hours per week of family/sailing/swamp mowing time?
Just a thought.
cheers
Sean

John B
06-17-2008, 04:24 PM
And it's a shame to hear that 'willing worker syndrome' exists at your level of management, (it shouldn't exist at any level) think of a frog in a pot of water that is slowly heating up, you know the story.
I know people who have been in a similar situation to you Mickey and when they finally left the job two full time positions had to be advertised to replace their one.

I agree.Thats what I'm saying. They just don't realise yet how much crap they're going to be in if you walk.