PDA

View Full Version : Classic Land Yacht

seanz
06-16-2008, 02:16 AM
The good news is it still steers and handles the same.
:)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/story.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10516468

http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/90mmile_230.jpg
Dan Tucker sails his Land Rover up Ninety Mile Beach. Photo / Summer Moon Te Kowhai

Fed up with rising petrol costs? Try hitching a sail to the car and harnessing the power of nature.
That's the advice from an enterprising Auckland sculptor, Dan Tucker, who sailed his Land Rover up Northland's Ninety Mile Beach on pure wind power.
"I talked to a few people about it and they said it couldn't be done. That just made me more determined to do it," said Tucker, 32. "The beaches are perfect - you have steady winds, a flat surface, and it's wide and generally quite straight."
The vehicle hit speeds of up to 30 km/h in winds gusting up to 40 km/h.
When the wind died down to 10 km/h, Mr Tucker got out and pushed to supplement the wind.
There's a link to another photo if you follow the link to the paper but it comes up as Flash player....I don't have a lot of luck linking to that sort of stuff.

Down here in Canterbury with our straight roads on windy plains we've got it made.
:cool:
$2.10 for a liter of petrol...........land yachts, the way of the future.
Either that or pedal powered ultralights.
:D

skuthorp
06-16-2008, 02:24 AM
Fantastic! Classic Proa! You could use a Smart Car as an outrigger!
(How does he steer, piece of string on the steering wheel? (aka Hancock?)

The Bigfella
06-16-2008, 03:33 AM
nah - just harness the sheep and hang a pair of gumboots off the front bar. You'd get 100mph

seanz
06-16-2008, 03:36 AM
You'd get 100mph

Sheep can't run that fast.
So I've heard.

Paul Fitzgerald
06-16-2008, 04:47 AM
I met his patents on Bruny a month ago. They brought up 5 boys on a Mobjack!
This story is about par for the course. Some of the family sailed to Antarctica a few years ago.
You might recall several of the boys tried to sail the Tasman last year on an open Proa.

Wild Dingo
06-16-2008, 04:47 AM
Sheep can't run that fast.
So I've heard.

You do know Johnno right? Well... his sheeps hold the world speed record they do... its how yer handle the buggars when they lay down that does it!!! :D :D Kiwis and sheep now how the blazes did this thread take that tak??? :p

Now I kinda like the ultralight idea meself :cool:

bamamick
06-16-2008, 05:37 AM
Amazing. I mean the thread, not the truck :).

Mickey Lake

PeterSibley
06-16-2008, 06:10 AM
There's nothing as fast as a frightened sheep .

paladin
06-16-2008, 07:11 AM
or a scared man with a bucket and wet feet....

Wild Dingo
06-16-2008, 09:41 AM
There's nothing as fast as a frightened sheep .

With a randy Kiwi fella after them!! :D

Youve all seen them big Moari fellas doin the huka? HOW THE BLAZES DO YOU THINK THE SHEEP FEEL!!! :eek: :p