PDA

View Full Version : What kind of trailer for 18' Simmons Sea Skiff?

Zobel Sea Skiff
06-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Just got the plans, it will be some while before I begin, but I was wondering what type of trailer would work best, Bunk or Roller?

Thanks for your input.

Tom

Banjo
06-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Either will work, a full roller trailer will be easier launching and retrieving the boat. In either case the keel is what takes the boats weight, the side rollers or bunks are only there to provide stability once the boat is in it's proper position on the trailer.

Zobel Sea Skiff
06-15-2008, 10:07 PM
That seems to be a logical answer.:)

Thanks Mark!

Tom

pipefitter
06-15-2008, 11:15 PM
I have a tilt trailer and bunks and rollers because I launch from shore mostly where it is shallow and no ramp. I am going to get this system for the bunks though because I don't like the wet carpet staying wet for days at a time where it contacts the hull. I repair a lot of salt pitted aluminum pontoon boats and this is the first solution to get rid of the salt saturated carpeted bunks. They work great.

http://www.snaptraxx.com

Nick C
06-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Rollers are nice but you have to use extra caution because the boat can roll off on the ramp. It happens all the time. Bunks supply more support and you can put a plastic style cover over the boards that makes the boat slide easy.

Rollers are a definite advantage for shore or shallow type launches on a tilt trailer. I only know of two places where you can do this and it's more a special situation. One is Pacific City in Oregon where they launch dory's and the other is Shelter Cove in California where there is an ocean launch in a protected cove that is shallow for 50 feet out.

SawmillBrook
06-19-2008, 08:31 PM
When I built my boat (16' Devlin) I asked the same question. One pro sold me on the fact that the bunks, supported by 3 keel rollers -- was the best setup. It made sense as the bunks supported a greater area and lbs per square inch was far less than hull rollers... clear as mud?

A.

jlaprad
06-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Personally, i don't like rollers. They tend to mark up the bottom of your boat. bunks will also provide more even support, and when protected with carpet or something will not mark up the bottom of your newly painted boat.

Dan from Jersey
06-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi Tom,

I'm building a 17 footer and have her on Trailex trailer with bunks. I don't have any launching or retrieval experience with it yet, but i went with bunks because i wanted to give my hull the most support i could.

i figured that the bunks would provide a little more protection, especially on bumpy service roads - rather than rollers and the possibility of dents in the wood.

At any rate, good luck with it.

Later, Dan

BOBSIM
06-23-2008, 04:01 AM
Hello Tom,
I have no experience with rollers, I have my Simmons on bunks at the chines. This works well for me but I do need to add a keel roller to help center her while loading. I rubbed some wax into the bunk carpet and she slide very easily.
While we're talking trailers I'll add that suspension deserves some attention too. I found that most new trailers in the 17' range are designed to carry a boat three times the weight of the Simmons and will provide little if any cushioning. Hope that helps, Bob.