PDA

View Full Version : Okoume brightwork

Brett Herr
02-26-2002, 05:55 PM
I'm building a little flatiron sailing skiff from Okoume plywood. Trying to keep it simple. Will cover most of it with latex house paint. But I want to finish the seats and maybe the deck bright. Is there any way to do it without epoxy or varnish? Anyone know about oils or "water based clear coatings"? This boat will live in the backyard, not on a mooring. Thanks.

PugetSound
02-27-2002, 12:31 AM
Go with some "Deks Olje". It is a compromise between varnish and oil finishes. It has some of the varnish resins so it lasts longer than simple oil finishes but you put it on just as easily as an oil finish. It comes in semi-gloss and gloss and has a good reputation.

Art Read
02-27-2002, 12:31 PM
I like it too. I'm using it for the interior on my project where I don't want to contemplate scraping and sanding paint or varnish in all the nooks and crannies there. The secret is CONSTANT maintenaince, though. You gotta put a fresh coat or two on as SOON as it starts to wear... Otherwise you're back to sanding "weathered" wood in no time. Probably every few months on exposed areas. Maybe once or twice a season if protected well. The good news is it's easy to apply and doesn't take a lot of prep work. Just a good scrub to remove any grime, and perhaps a bit of light sanding to "clean up" the worst bits. The bad news is that, like any oil finish, it's "cummulative" and the surface will most likely gradually darken over time. It doesn't seem to pick up dirt and mold as badly as typical oils, but you've still got to keep it clean to keep it from getting "grubby". I'm just using the "#1" for the matte finish. If you want a more gloss look, the "#2" over that will give it. I suspect it takes more work to keep that looking good, though.

Brett Herr
03-03-2002, 11:58 PM
Many thanks for the tips! This stuff sounds like exactly what I want, & the price looks right in the Jamestown catalogue.

Since the only advantages of Okuoume seem to be light weight & beautiful grain, can I substitute any of those similar plywoods I see at the Edensaw website? Or am I missing something? I'm cartopping, so light weight is where it's at.