PDA

View Full Version : It was MURDER!!!!!!!

Tealsmith
06-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I mentioned in an earlier post I've been raising 6 buff orpington chicks just for fun and in hopes of some fresh eggs in the fall. Well, Monday morning one was missing. At least, most of it was missing. A leg was left behind. It appears that it was pulled through the 2" by 3" wire mesh at the bottom of the run. Great. So I put another layer of chicken mesh over the heavy mesh.

Tuesday morning I come out to find one missing chicken and two dead chickens. I think the murderer slipped in through a 3 inch crack above the door. I patched up that breach in security and a couple of other places I wasn't sure about.

I'm thinking racoon but am not sure. I went to Bass Pro and picked up a Havahart live trap, baited it and woke up this morning to an empty trap but two remaing chickens. THIS IS WAR!!!

Dan McCosh
06-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Not murder. Lunch.

Tealsmith
06-11-2008, 10:10 AM
More like a nightcap.

Paul Pless
06-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Lunch.errr... 'late night snack':D

Mrleft8
06-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Coon. Best thing is a.22. Seems to work well unless they use the "stealth" approach. Cleaver, strong, ruthless, and relentless. Your girls are marked targets now unless the coons (there's prolly more than one.) get a case of lead poisoning, or get deported.

botebum
06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Could be coon, oppossum, weasel, even a stray cat. If it's a coon then it's trouble. Once they find a free meal, they're staying till the supply runs out. Big ones have been known to tear through poultry mesh. Best method to dispatch is a spotlight and a .22.
I just put our new ones in their chicken tractor this morning. First night is gonna be worrisome.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Chickens/IMG_3701.jpg
Good luck with your remaining birds.

Doug

Dutch
06-11-2008, 10:56 AM
either a coon or possum will eat a chicken- full grown at that let alone a bitty or peep

Doug- that thing aint safe for your birds at night. either possums or coons will dig under neath- Believe me I talk from experience-I lost a lot of birds till I wised up. you need to lock them in a coop at nite that is off the ground with a solid floor.

botebum
06-11-2008, 10:58 AM
If it's an oppossum you can tell many times because they tend to start at the rear end of the bird and eat their way forward. yum:rolleyes:

Doug

Popeye
06-11-2008, 11:33 AM
yet another chickencide

Memphis Mike
06-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Raccoons have to eat too.

Popeye
06-11-2008, 11:40 AM
a good squirrel lawyer could probably beat it down to involuntary hen slaughter

pipefitter
06-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Coons will even figure out the latch on the door. When we had coon problems, we got a dog and the doghouse was right next to the coop. At night the dog got chained to the dog house. End of problem. I had opossums/coons and feral cats always coming thru here at night. Now they don't.

paladin
06-11-2008, 02:37 PM
get an armadillo......turn it loose in the chikkin cage.......they won't bother the birds.......but 'coon, possum and kats is high on the treat menu....

Mrleft8
06-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Ya..... That bit about up is true..... My girls wouldn't sleep unless they were able to get well up off the ground. Not that it kept the coons from getting them eventually.....
Coon: "Knock knock".....
Hens: "Who's there?"
Coon: "Come out and see"
Hens: "Oh....OK.... AHHHHHHHRRRRGGGGHHHH!"
Coon: "Yum"

crawdaddyjim50
06-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Need two dogs preferably one cur type and one a little bigger like a great pyreneese (sp) or such size wise. We have a bluenose mix and a great pyrenees pair and NOTHING short of a panther comes in the yard.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i252/crawdaddy031/DSCF0013.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i252/crawdaddy031/DSCF0030.jpg

Yeadon
06-11-2008, 11:03 PM
get an armadillo......turn it loose in the chikkin cage.......they won't bother the birds.......but 'coon, possum and kats is high on the treat menu....

where else could I learn something like that? tell me? thank you woodenboat forum.

TimH
06-11-2008, 11:30 PM

seriously? How the hell did you learn that one? :eek:

Phillip Allen
06-12-2008, 04:10 AM
I thought armadillos were insectavores...Chuck?

botebum
06-12-2008, 06:30 AM
How many birds have ya got left this morning TS? Mine fared well their first night out.

Doug

paladin
06-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Friend of mine raises game pheasants and quail critters......

Bruce Taylor
06-12-2008, 07:44 AM
To help with the CSI-style forensic workup:

http://icwdm.org/Inspection/livestock.asp

Add skunk to botebm's list.

huisjen
06-12-2008, 07:44 AM
One night farmer brown was takin' the air
Locked up the barnyard with the greatest of care
Down in the hen house something stirred
When he shouted, "who's there?"
This is what he heard
There ain't nobody here but us chickens
There ain't nobody here at all
So calm yourself and stop that fuss
There ain't nobody here but us
We chickens tryin' to sleep and you butt in
And hobble, hobble, hobble, hobble, with your chin
There ain't nobody here but us chickens
You're stompin' around and shakin' the ground
Kicking up an awful dust
We chickens tryin' to sleep and you butt in
And hobble, hobble, hobble, hobble, it's a sin

Tomorrow is a busy day
We got things to do, we got eggs to lay
We got ground to dig and worms to scratch
It takes a lot of sittin', gettin' chicks to hatch
Oh, there ain't nobody here but us chickens
So quiet yourself and stop that fuss
Kindly point the gun the other way
And hobble, hobble, hobble, hobble off and hit the hay

Tomorrow is a busy day
We got things to do, we got eggs to lay
We got ground to dig and worms to scratch
It takes a lot of sittin', gettin' chicks to hatch
Oh, there ain't nobody here but us chickens
So quiet yourself and stop that fuss
Kindly point the gun the other way
And hobble, hobble, hobble, hobble off and hit the hay

Hey, hey boss man, what do you say?
It's easy, pickins, there ain't nobody here but us chickens

Popeye
06-12-2008, 07:45 AM
chicken blood is extremely toxic

Spin_Drift
06-12-2008, 10:33 AM
It could well be a weasel or it's ilk.

Or if they are little baby chicks, it could be rats...

Good luck...

botebum
06-12-2008, 10:37 AM
chicken blood is extremely toxicTo what? I've not heard that before.

Doug

Hwyl
06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Wow 25 posts and it's not a gun thread yet.

Here you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle,_Anti-Tank,_.55_in,_Boys

Tealsmith
06-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Two nights with the trap set and NOTHING. At least I haven't lost anymore. I still have the final two birds. They are about 6 weeks old. Oh well, I'll learn this year and add more chicks next spring.

Another One
06-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Set the trap with marshmallows. Coons love 'em. I've had this same problem more than once.

Tealsmith
06-12-2008, 08:44 PM
If I catch that coon it may become a gun thread.

botebum
06-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Good luck with getting whatever it is. Bruce is right also- I forgot about skunks. Let us know in the morning.

Doug

huisjen
06-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Set the trap with marshmallows. Coons love 'em. I've had this same problem more than once.

The problem of loving marshmellows? How many times did Rick have to let you out of the havahart trap?

Tealsmith
06-13-2008, 10:13 PM
I threw a couple of marshmallows in the trap, but still haven't caught anything. But I haven't lost anymore chickens. We're leaving for vacation next week. I'm not expecting good things when I return.

botebum
06-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Any news this morning?

Doug