PDA

View Full Version : Lesbian kisses stir debate

Dutch
06-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Im thinking these women were probably either way hot or just plain fugly. Otherwise what fool would start whining about it? :)

SEATTLE - Most of the time, a kiss is just a kiss in the stands at Seattle Mariners (http://www.newsday.com/topic/sports/seattle-mariners-ORSPT000026.topic) games. The crowd hardly even pays attention when fans smooch.

But then last week, a lesbian complained that an usher at Safeco Field asked her to stop kissing her date because it was making another fan uncomfortable.

The incident has exploded on local TV, on talk radio and in the blogosphere and has touched off a debate over public displays of affection in generally gay-friendly Seattle.

"Certain individuals have not yet caught up. Those people see a gay or lesbian couple and they stare or say something," said Josh Friedes of Equal Rights Washington. "This is one of the challenges of being gay. Everyday things can become sources of trauma."

As the Mariners played the Boston Red Sox (http://www.newsday.com/topic/sports/boston-red-sox-ORSPT000005.topic) on May 26, Sirbrina Guerrero and her date were approached in the third inning by an usher who told them their kissing was inappropriate, Guerrero said.

The usher, Guerrero said, told them he had received a complaint from a woman nearby who said that there were kids in the crowd of nearly 36,000 and that parents would have to explain why two women were kissing.

"I was really just shocked," Guerrero said. "Seattle is so gay-friendly. There was a couple like seven rows ahead making out. We were just showing affection."

On Thursday, after an internal investigation, the Mariners said in a news release that their seating staff had acted appropriately, and the couple was approached because of their behavior -- which included "making out" and "groping" in the stands -- and not their sexual orientation.

"We have a strict nondiscrimination policy at the Seattle Mariners and at Safeco Field, and when we do enforce the code of conduct it is based on behavior, not on the identity of those involved," Mariners spokeswoman Rebecca Hale said earlier this week.

In the release, the Mariners said the women were told they could continue to kiss, but that they had to "tone it down."

"The women refused to modify their behavior, began swearing at the seating hosts and complained that they were being singled out for their sexual orientation," the club said.

bamamick
06-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Depends on the situation. I remember several years ago a very obviously intoxicated Cameron Diaz was making out like mad with some dude DURING the Super Bowl, and the network felt obligated to show a couple of seconds of her. I am still disgusted to this day.

If two women wanted to smooch with me nearby it probably wouldn't bother me as long as they were discreet. Same thing for a man and a woman. I couldn't watch two men kiss, I just couldn't. I have a couple of friends who are gay men and that's all well and good, but I ain't watching them get physical with one another. I'm sorry. I yam what I yam.

Mickey Lake

John of Phoenix
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I thought gays and lesbians usually had better taste than to get it on in public.

Pretty standard scenario. "HEY! Get a room people!"

ishmael
06-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't care what gets your ya ya going. Some demure kisses are fine with me, too. Been there, done it. What does bother me is people slobbering all over one another in public. I didn't pay the price of this admission.

George Roberts
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I thought this was about an Obama/McCain debate. Some sort of halftime entertainment.

John of Phoenix
06-09-2008, 01:44 PM
I thought this was about an Obama/McCain debate. Some sort of halftime entertainment.
Mariners. Red Sox. There is no crying or halftime in baseball.

StevenBauer
06-09-2008, 06:43 PM
No Youtube video?

Tabitha ( Gaff rig girl )
06-09-2008, 06:57 PM
To each his/her own, ya know. BUT, if I were at a baseball game with my children and ANY couple were making out, I'd complain!! Yes, it does raise questions in children. My sons saw two women kiss one time at the movie theater (and yes I said something - it was a kids' movie for christ sake) and of course they asked "why are those two girls kissing"? Taking my time to think of an appropriate answer and at the same time not lie...I simply told them that there are "different" kind of people in the world and they may have "different" relationships. There may be a caucasian man & woman...there may be a african-american man with a caucasian woman...and there may even be two women or two men. I explained to them that when you love someone you love "the person".

They haven't questioned it since, but I'm sure eventually they will.

Paul Pless
06-09-2008, 07:02 PM
BUT, if I were at a baseball game with my children and ANY couple were making out, I'd complain!! Ah comeon! Couples caught kissing on the Jumbotrons are a mainstay at ballparks now.

I'm with Mickey, I'd probably have a little trouble with two guys kissing.

This applies to me!:D (http://www.chunder.com/carrots/fatlezzo.wav)

WX
06-09-2008, 07:04 PM
when you love someone you love "the person

Good answer Tabitha.
Reminds me of the time my youngest daughter asked we want masturbation was. While I was thinking of an answer, my other daughter said, Itś when you play with yourself...my youngest understood and was happy with the answer. AND it got me off the hook:D

Katherine
06-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Ah comeon! Couples caught kissing on the Jumbotrons are a mainstay at ballparks now.
I feel the sudden need for mouthwash.

06-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Good answer Tabitha.
Reminds me of the time my youngest daughter asked we want masturbation was. While I was thinking of an answer, my other daughter said, Itś when you play with yourself...my youngest understood and was happy with the answer. AND it got me off the hook:D

OK now I absolutely HAVE to make fun of your typo...

"we want masterbation"....ROTFLMAO :D:D:D

Paul Pless
06-09-2008, 07:08 PM
we want masturbationFreudian slip of the tongue, er... fingers???

Hurry! to the bad pun thread!!!

JBreeze
06-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Seattle must've been at bat and they were bored.....seattle has the worst record in the major leagues.

Betcha they looked up when Ortiz cracked the home run into the stands in the top of the 4th:D

WX
06-09-2008, 07:11 PM
OOPS! It should be ¨What¨.
:D:D:D

06-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Ah comeon! Couples caught kissing on the Jumbotrons are a mainstay at ballparks now.

I'm with Mickey, I'd probably have a little trouble with two guys kissing.

This applies to me!:D (http://www.chunder.com/carrots/fatlezzo.wav)

I said "making out"....kissing is totally different ;)

TimH
06-09-2008, 07:38 PM
http://media-images.nscpcdn.com/media/contrib/story/2007/03/19/story-45fe67ab9fd05.jpgthis is them I believe

TimH
06-09-2008, 07:39 PM
http://media.metronews.ca/images/31/b3/668be91a465eb4dc35daa12962e7.jpeg

WX
06-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Two close friends of mine are lesbian and they a very nice people.
Sara makes very good home brew and a bloody nice Cornish pasty. Sara is from Cornwall and Karen is from Wales.

Paul Pless
06-09-2008, 09:07 PM
So now we're down to lesbian anecdotes...

Somehow, quite a few years ago, I got invited to a lesbian and bisexual womans New Year's Eve Party once. There was only one other guy there besides myself and about two dozen women on a little strip of private beach. To this day, it's the best New Year's Eve party I've ever been to.:D:D:D

bamamick
06-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Same thing happened to me once, Paul. Got invited to a party. Myself and one other guy. Many women. It was pretty cool.

I actually told my dad about this. He said 'well, son. You mean she was gay?'. I said 'yep'. He said 'well, son. I mean, and you, uh?' I said 'yep'. He said 'well uh, if she was gay then why did she, uh?' I said 'she made an exception'. True story. Actually I called her later and we went out a couple of times, which means that she was either bisexual or very much in touch with my feminine side :).

Mickey Lake

Rigadog
06-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Anything that can be done to enliven a baseball game is a good thing. It is just plain boring, right up there with Golf and televised Poker. If this had happened at a Hockey game no one would have noticed.

Thermo
06-10-2008, 07:29 AM
"This is one of the perks of being gay. Everyday things can become sources of drama."

Fixed that quote for this situation :)

Don't start making out in public stadiums trying to get your face on the jumbo-tron, no matter how gay or un-gay you are.

Dutch
06-10-2008, 07:37 AM
did you hear about the two old spinsters that wanted to be frank with each other? one told the other, " you be Frank tonite, and I'll be Frank tommorrow nite".

WilliamKid
06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm surprised that most of the media outlets have not brought up the fact that one of the two women (the one pictured in news stories) was a contestant on MTV's Tila Tequila show (she was let go by Tila a little past mid-way through the series--already a bit of a exhibitionist I'd say?). It smacks of "sensationalism" on the part of the woman (en) involved. Especially when one considers the other eyewitness accounts that attest to a bit more than a "friendly kiss" between the two. (Yes this is a form of "Ad Hominem" attack, but anecdotal arguments have their place, and so do innuendo).

A few years ago at the same stadium a man and woman were arrested for fornicating in the stands. Maybe it’s the "thrill of baseball" that brings on all this behavior? I certainly don't remember that as an 8 year old boy watching the Yankees.....

-WK

bamamick
06-10-2008, 12:45 PM
My wife and I attended a game there last year. There was a nice group of folks from Japan sitting next to us eating onion soup from bread bowls and chanting 'Ichiro, Ichiro' for three hours. I can promise you that fornication was about the farthest thing from either one of our minds.

Mickey Lake

David W Pratt
06-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Famous anecdote about Dizzy Dean after he moved top the announcers' booth. It was a slow game and the director pulled up a young couple in the bleachers.
Dizzy said "aw, isn't that sweet? He's kissing her on the strikes, she's kissing him on the balls."
His partner came on and said; "Dizzy stepped out folks, he'll be back in about two weeks."