X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • switters
    S/V Pi
    • Oct 2007

Who do you build with?

After finally getting started on a boat and getting some good time in on it, I met a young lady and we hit it off. The boat building suffered for about 6 weeks and finally I told her that I was going to have a boat building day so I can get one finished. She said she would help. Turns out she is an excellent helper and really enjoyed helping with the boat (one sheet skiff, practice boat). Last weekend we got the final gunnel glued on and she wanted to build one, we we got the material and cut up the pieces for another oss. Tonight we are glueing the sides to the stem on the second. This coming weekend we will paint the first. yellow trim on white.

I liked the thought of building something, and enjoyed the time doing it alone, but it's even more fun with someone else. I hope once my two sons see the finished project they will want to build a boat for themselves.

So who do you build with?
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

• Mrleft8
    Banned
    • Feb 2000

Re: Who do you build with?

Anyone I can cajole into helping when I need it. 99% alone.

Comment

• Popeye
      speedo
      • Jun 2003

i don't like anyone touching my tools

Comment

• Canoez
        Did I say that out loud?
        • Sep 2007

My dad, my friends, my students and my daughter is dying to help.
        "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
        -William A. Ward

Comment

• John of Phoenix
          • Jun 2001

Last weekend we got the final gunnel glued on and she wanted to build one, we we got the material and cut up the pieces for another oss. Tonight we are glueing the sides to the stem on the second. This coming weekend we will paint the first. yellow trim on white.
          Glueing each others gunnels. Sounds like this is getting serious. Who picked the colors?

Comment

• switters
            S/V Pi
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by John Teetsel
            Glueing each others gunnels. Sounds like this is getting serious. Who picked the colors?
            It's not as nasty as at sounds, really.

I picked the colors for the first one, she has chosen her colors already in typical girly fashion, beige with wine trim. I don't know what color "wine" is but I guess I'll find out in about 3 weeks.
            Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

Comment

• David G
              • Dec 2003

I've built alone some - usually when working on a clients project. My favorite boat and my favarite boatbuilding experience (Storer, Goat Island Skiff) was with my two sons and an old friend (don't ask how old, he gets quite testy). I also built a couple of Merten's D-5's with a posse of Ol' Coots from my boating group - the Western Oregon Messabout Society. I built a Bolger Long Light Dory (stretched Glouster Gull) last summer with a couple of fellow instructors from RiversWest and a gaggle of "at-risk" youth - as a skills building exercise. As a lark, my youngest son and I are building a Puddle Duck Racer.

"A man is known by the company he avoids"
              David G
              Harbor Woodworks
              https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• switters
                S/V Pi
                • Oct 2007

did you write an article about building the GIS, and providing the flotation in a novel way? As I recall it was drinking your way to floating

I wrote up top a while ago that I didn't think I could build a GIS in my garage because of the size, and then I realized that if the building support (saw horses really) were on rollers I can wheel it around and make room on the side I need it.

Comment

• SchoonerRat
                  • Mar 2008

1. I try to build with the one person I know I can get along with.......ME!

2. Often with good friends who are willing to do things my way.

3. Mostly with anybody who is willing to pay me for my help.

This list is in order of preference.
                  Schooner sailors love to get blown offshore!

Comment

• Bill R
                    Where's the KABOOM?!
                    • Feb 2005

Usually work alone, but my 5 1/2 yo son helps whenever he can. His twin sister prefers to "soopervise".
                    Bill R

There was supposed to be an earth shattering KABOOM!

Comment

• willmarsh3
                      • Sep 2004

I build mostly by myself. I had plenty of neighbors stop by and ask questions. Occasionally some came by at opportune times and got to lend a hand when needed.
                      Will

Comment

• Yeadon
                        𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝
                        • May 2006

I like to work alone. It's tough to work with other people and talk to myself ... they'll keep saying "what" and "huh?"

It's really distracting.
                        Originally posted by James McMullen
                        Yeadon is right, of course.

Comment

• David G
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by switters
                          did you write an article about building the GIS, and providing the flotation in a novel way? As I recall it was drinking your way to floating

I wrote up top a while ago that I didn't think I could build a GIS in my garage because of the size, and then I realized that if the building support (saw horses really) were on rollers I can wheel it around and make room on the side I need it.
                          Switters - yes, guilty as charged. Drink first, sort out the details later is pretty much PlanA for all my personal projects <G>

I'm sure you could do the build in your space.

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I give up reading" -- Henny Youngman
                          David G
                          Harbor Woodworks
                          https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• botebum
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2002

When it absolutely requires more than one person, I'll grab whoever is around. I've never had local friends that share any interest in it and I enjoy working alone anyway. I'm kinda hoping that Scooter gains a real interest as she gets older. For now, any "Daddy time" is fine by her....and me

Doug

Comment

Working...