PDA

View Full Version : I did it my way again!!! with Amapola wood

Kings cruiser
11-23-2001, 10:57 AM
but it was really a combination of many people's illuminating comments.. Thanks.

anyhow, so the seams are now caulked. they are also treated with "wedges" which i best understand as a method of keeping the caulking material in the seams... which may be a big issue with this boat... not that the seams are too big, but too shallow. The planking is only 5/8-3/4" mostly 5/8..thin.
Kings cruisers were designed to be tight seamed carvel..
This one got worked in the SF bay, it leaked, someone routed out the 'seams' and pounded cotton and topped it off with interlux ...same thing happened, only worse since the cotton was about to pop out at any moment and the frames had almost all been snaped in 2... 1 1/2" gaps in some places between the broken ribs..

All i should tell you really is that i've been using a wood called Amapola, in this final caulking experiement, that's as light and soft as balsa, and as rot resistent as redwood. some Amazon basin Indians've made canoes out of the stuff for god (spirits) know how long. It epoxies like crazy. And the wood has lovely long fibers that give it surprizing tolerances.
anyhow, all the boat people tend to think it'll be fine...All the people on line here think my boat will be a disaster -hopefully it's somewhere in-be-tween... Richard

John R Smith
11-23-2001, 11:01 AM
Richard

thanks for the update. Keep us posted on how things go when she's back in the water.

John

Allen Foote
11-23-2001, 01:22 PM
I've never heard of nor worked with that wood. I also didn't realize from your previous posts what had been done to your seams. Will you be reframing? Its sounds as though you've found a workable solution....good luck.

Kings cruiser
12-08-2001, 09:39 PM
Allen, it's been sistered, reframed (52 new ones). Bilge stringers (2) an 'auxillary' keel bolt. and a couple of floors.
I'm using the amapola where it looks like the caulking might want to escape. the planking is 5/8" and so there isn't much of seam- especially how i did it; it's more of a slot that should crunch down very very tightly on the amapola and the caulking material. i would have simply splined with white cedar or amapola, but some of the wood is seriously saturated with diesel, so it won't accept glue well... we'll see? it's my first wooden boat. thanks, Richard

NormMessinger
12-08-2001, 10:41 PM
Great! Now all that remains is to post pictures, eh?

Purdy pleze.

--Norm

videoguy
12-09-2001, 12:13 AM
Norm I'm sure he will be better at posting pictures than I am

PilotArt
12-09-2001, 09:12 AM
Norm,

This old thread still has some photos:

http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003231.html

[edit] You can 'right-click' and copy the photo's URL, use this to access a four times larger version of the same photo. Size goes from 800x600 to 1600x1200 this is one:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=921427&a=13788114&p=54430974&Sequence=0&res=high

Richard,

Email me some more recent photos and I will add them to the thread you have here. My PhotoPoint will be active for at least six more months and I have no digital camera, so I don't get much use from their service yet.

Art

[This message has been edited by PilotArt (edited 12-09-2001).]

PilotArt
12-09-2001, 10:09 AM
I see that using the "UBB" Link for the photo in the post above sizes the photo down to 640x480.

Another of Richard's older photos:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=921427&a=13788114&p=54431002&Sequence=0&res=high

You can 'right-click' on that photo and Copy the URL from properties and paste that in the address box of your browser to get the 1600x1200 size directly from PhotoPoint.

[Edit]'right-click' and Zoom in/out causes distortions in the photo

[This message has been edited by PilotArt (edited 12-09-2001).]

Kings cruiser
12-10-2001, 11:49 AM
Thank god you can't zoom in...
Art, thanks a lot, i'll pick up a dig. camera.. regular photos don't seem to scan well.

I have to admit, i'm still baffled by this project.. at least the transom looks good...
the hull on the boat is insanely flexible.. that's why i've employed the wedges.. to hold the caulkin in- and to make it tight tight..
anyhow, I've mixed up the interlux seam compound with red lead and added some linseed oil based window caulking putty to make it a little more flexible..I've <B>tested<B> it on the hull and it seems to stick really nicely. but pictures will speak louder. If this doesn't work out, i'm thinking a long vacation and a small vintage model boat to play with in the jacuzzi in Puerto Varrata ;>.