PDA

View Full Version : Plywood Knees

imported_maguro
01-26-2003, 10:20 AM
I couldn't find this one in the back threads.
I was wondering if I laminated 3 pieces of 3/4" fir ply to make a transom knee would it hold up well after bolting and encapsulating? The boat is a 15' v-hull. I'd just like to utilize some of the expensive 3/4 marine ply scrap I have lying around somehow.
~Chris

Andrew
01-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Tar Devil
01-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Glen L. Witt likes the idea. In his book "Boat Building With Plywood" he states:

"Plywood used for knees takes advantage of the material's uniform strength in all directions."

He also uses laminated ply for breasthooks and stems.

Later,

Phil

imported_maguro
01-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks!
I should probably pick up a copy of the Glen L Boat Building with Plywood at some point. Sounds like it is a good source of info.

Mike Vogdes
01-26-2003, 04:35 PM
Yea that sounds like a good plan. Be sure to paint it after you have it installed, the epoxy is not very uv friendly.

I have lots of relatives in Cape May, you live there long?

JimD
01-26-2003, 09:21 PM
3 layers of 3/4 inch on a 15 footer is probably a touch of overkill. I'm starting a 22 foot Glen-L Amigo, displacement around 5,000 lbs, and it will have a laminated plywood knee about as you describe so yours should be plenty strong.
jimd

imported_maguro
01-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Mike, I have been living and working in Cape MAy for only about two years now. I am originally from Ocean County, NJ. I am building a boat called Little Moby by Charles Whitholz. I finished the hull in the fall and I am making cuts for the deck, floor and engine box. I am working outside so no glue till spring. Getting everything ready to go.