PDA

View Full Version : Bolger nearing completion

brett price
06-04-2008, 03:46 PM
New to the forum. Finishing up a Bolger / Payson SeaHawk. It's 15'8" x 50" drawings say rated hp is 20hp outboard. The boats being built in WV it will be registered in VA. I'm looking for some information and tips on getting the boat registered. Do I need to go through the Coast Guard or just the DMV. Beside the safety equipment need on a boat, will I need to put a hull serial number engine capacity plate on the boat? The CG boatbuilder's handbook says something about this. What are others experiences here.

Thanks

Brett

Thorne
06-04-2008, 03:54 PM
The VA DMV website (or office) can give you all the particulars -- they vary from state to state.

Usually home builders ask the DMV to issue a VIN #, and you have that engraved on a plate along with the builder's name and date. You will have to register it and put the numbers and stickers on the hull in the usual spots.

For a boat that size I imagine that will be all you'll need.

Horace
06-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi, folks. In Virginia, Game and Inland Fisheries handles boat registration and new boat inspection/numbering. This is covered on their website, including documentation for home construction. Hope this helps.

brett price
06-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. I thought it would be pretty simple. But hey I thought building this boat would be pretty quick.

bhopping
06-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I live in Richmond, VA and I'm finishing up the 15'6" Clamskiff. I had the same question.

email: boat-reg@dgif.virginia.gov

Here is what they told me:

"You would need to complete the attached two forms. You can send some of the receipts where you purchased materials to build the boat, but if you
have some photos of the boat during construction and one of the boat in
its completed state, we may be able to use them instead of the receipts.
Send to my attention."

I can forward you the forms if you like.

blh

Frank E. Price
06-05-2008, 01:44 PM
That's too bad. In the past 30-something years here in remote village SE Alaska I've never registered a boat under 20'. Never heard a peep from big brother. Actually, I've never registered any boat here. Documented a 33-footer though.

Frank

Tom Robb
06-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Pix, man. We want pix.

Thermo
06-05-2008, 05:49 PM
I want pics too. Where in WV is it being made? I'm doing a Bolger in WV this year. I bought the discs for the camera before I bought the plans. (Yeah, my camera uses little cd disks.)